Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overexposed background

Hi,

Could someone tell me how (if possible at all!) I can edit the overexposed background without darkening the complete picture too much?

I use Adobe PhotoShop CS3 extended ...

Thanks.

Do you mean an overexposed sky ?

If so, create a background layer, adjust the sky as needed by either adjusting the exposure, the brightness and/or curves highlights.

Once you've got the desired effect, rub out the foreground with the eraser tool, flatten and save.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thanks again, Brian. I will try that.

Comment

Another way, create a duplicate layer, set the layer blend to multiply. This will darken the whole image. Now you could turn that layer into a mask to hide it all then paint out the sky. Or select the sky, invert it then delete the rest of the layer.

There are many ways to go about it it all depends on the image itself.

Jid

Comment

To my mind, if the aircraft is correctly exposed it should not matter if the sky is washed out.

Am I wrong?

Comment

Yes you're wrong. A washed out sky means the pic was overexposed... Very often we see those white overexposed sky and even if the plane is exposed correctly the result is really not something attracting, the contrast of a white plane in front of a white sky is just not acceptable.

cheers
            Alex

Comment

Thanks.

But the rules on manipulation state; "Any other colour altering, including fake skies, inverting of colours, etc. is not allowed."

So is darkening the sky allowed?

Comment

Altering the original colour is certainly manipulation but adjusting the existing level of darkness/brightness is not. That is no different to the use of dodging and burning in the good old days of negative and print processing.

If you think about it, if you expose perfectly in camera for the aircraft then the sky will almost certainly be under or overexposed and will require adjustment in processing.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Very clear, Brian.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                  X