No announcement yet.

How big would you like to be uploaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big would you like to be uploaded?

Hi here,

Everybody wants to have bigger pics, so do I. Thus I apply for big size of upload and approved.

But what frustrated is that when I deal with the size of 1600, I found the sharpness lose mostly. If I apply higher sharpness then the quality lose, especially adding more noise.

I found 1200 is better but I really want to have 1600 uploaded.

What is your tips for big pics?

To be honest as far as I'm concerned, 1024 wide is fine for the simple reason that I want people to see my photos as a complete photograph, and not as part of an image as it would be in most cases if I uploaded at anything larger than 1200 pixels wide. The vast majority of people's screens arn't huge, so why upload at sizes where all people with a 17" or 19" monitor would be able to see is a small section of the shot?

Just an opinion, of course, but I really don't see the obsession with uploading at huge sizes. What's the point when only maybe 10% of your audience has a screen large enough to see the image as a whole?!

Paul
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

I don't really see a point in most images. In fact, it's kind of annoying to see hundreds and hundreds of boring side-on shots uploaded at such a high resolution (1600, 1200, 1280 aren't that bad IMO). I'm approved for it but I haven't uploaded a 1600 shot in probably about two years. The only time I've really done it is for cockpit shots where I thought the viewer might want to be able to see the guages well.

Comment

What i have seen is with some heavy jets, when you shrink down to 1024, jaggies appear. So in those cases, a larger size is nice. If you have some very fine detail you want to show, then a larger size is nice too. Most of my shots are around 1200x wide nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel
          What i have seen is with some heavy jets, when you shrink down to 1024, jaggies appear. So in those cases, a larger size is nice. If you have some very fine detail you want to show, then a larger size is nice too. Most of my shots are around 1200x wide nowadays.
          How does the size of the airplane in the picture have any effect on jaggies?

Comment

Look at the cockpit window on the captain's side.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6168948

If you dont see it then maybe its just my monitor setting

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel
              Look at the cockpit window on the captain's side.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6168948

If you dont see it then maybe its just my monitor setting
              No I'm saying that could happen on any photo regardless of the aircraft pictured. Jaggies can be erased anyway.

Comment

Id like to post 1280 x 1024 ... but since I am just a beginner 1024 x 768 suits me fine.
                But in future I would like to upload some 1280s. So I just apply once and be allowed to post them in that format or must you apply per photo?

Comment

The grant for larger upload approval is 1600 pixels , and you don't need to be approved each time.

Comment

Originally posted by shimin
                    I found 1200 is better but I really want to have 1600 uploaded.
                    Remember though, that uploading at 1600, makes "flaws" more apparent. Also if you are goingto upload at these sizes the quality must be very good, and use large watermarks, as it generates more interest to theft, the bigger the image is.

Personally, 1200 is a good size and less prone to theft. If people want a larger version, they then have to go through the right channels (us!) to obtain that larger version.

Comment

Originally posted by Eadster
                      Personally, 1200 is a good size and less prone to theft. If people want a larger version, they then have to go through the right channels (us!) to obtain that larger version.
                      Like heavily armored guards in front of the treasure room?

Comment

Martin has it bang on the nose there with the theft comment. I upload at 1200 wide and have only ever had one photo "nicked"..and that was used as a thumbnail for a "For Sale" advert in "Pilot" magazine.

Uploading at 1600 leaves you wide open to image theft. The picture has to necessarily be of a very good quality to be accepted here because, as Martin says, the faults that may not be too obvious in a 1024 image punch you on the nose in a 1600 version.

I have a 19" monitor, probably the average size these days of most peoples'. A 1024 and a 1200 image fit nicely, a 1280 needs just a little sideways scrolling...and a 1600 is a pain in the ass to view !
                        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian, I am curious: what could you do against theft? Or better: after theft, when you see your own picture somewhere else?

Personally, as a beginner I would be honoured if I'd see my picture in a magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein
                            Brian, I am curious: what could you do against theft? Or better: after theft, when you see your own picture somewhere else?

Personally, as a beginner I would be honoured if I'd see my picture in a magazine
                            Well you can't really avoid it, that photos will be stolen, but you can make it anoying to the thefts if you place a watermark over the aircraft like here:

[photoid=6269883]

This makes it hard to use the photo, without that anybody can recognize where the photo is comming from. If you place the watermark in the sky, it get's much easier to remove the watermark

Comment

And that is the trade-off with up-loading at 1600px wide. For me such a shot is less attractive to view, then a 1200px or 1024px shot with a less visible watermark.

Comment

Working...
                              X