How big would you like to be uploaded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all tips!
    I tried some 1600s and then cancelled because I felt those were not so good looking on web background.
    However I keep one Tu-144 and an IL-62 which are in my memories. I have no watermark on them, as others which I had uploaded. Indeed some visitors contacted me for some big pics that is why I want to upload big pics.
    Thanks again!

Comment

On the theft, their behavior is despised. But I hearted that even watermarks also can not stop them, but it will affect us most people here to enjoy the pic.

There is an old saying in China
      , by the way, I am Chinese and live in Shanghai, called "Stolen book was not real stolen". No matter how kind, to let more people to enjoy flying, this may be at least a gratifying?

Enjoy most pinions here. I will mainly use the 1024s and 1280s. And only 1600s for my best in best...

Comment

Brian, I am curious: what could you do against theft? Or better: after theft, when you see your own picture somewhere else?
        Apart from watermarking them, which I personally HATE with a vengeance because it spoils the view, there isn't much you can do about it. You will occasionally get someone ask for a large file bigger than 1600, "for their own use only" !!, but anyone who wants to use a picture for themselves will be able to get what they want from it in the way of a print up to A3 -A4 from a 1600. Any bigger and I want payment for it and I want to know how it's going to be used.

The reputable magazines will always offer money for the use of a picture. As an example "Aircraft Illustrated" printed a small version of one of mine (about double thumbnail size) and paid £25.00. They also sent me free copy of the relevant issue.
        If you see one of yours in a magazine then I would suggest writing to the editors politely pointing out that you are the copyright holder, expect payment for its use, what you want for it and the address to send the cheque to. The fact that they took the time to copy your picture from JP and strip off the copyright bar before using it gives a clue to the fact they aren't too likely to cough up but it's worth a try.

Lots of photographers would give their right arm to see their work in print but you must remember that the publishers are in business to make money, money earned by selling a copy of your work. You are entitled to payment for its use and a name credit. That payment doesn't necessarily have to be cash though. If you're happy to get a free subscription to the magazine then so be it. Some photographers who sell a picture to airlines have even had free flights as a reward.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I started uploading larger pictures recently mostly because though it may make it easier for the screeners to see the flaws, it makes it easier for ME to see the flaws (and then, you know, fix them or just bin the whole shot). I find my little foray into the giant has been a good technical excerise. After all, when you can go spotting after work for three whole hours and see 15 aircraft if you're lucky (most of them the same WS 737s you already have in the DB ) you have to do something to practice/improve editing skill/keep editing endless CRJ pictures interesting. I'm sure that once I move to a larger city with a cooler airport I'll go back to 1200 as the workload of all the shots begins to consume my every waking moment.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
            Apart from watermarking them, which I personally HATE with a vengeance because it spoils the view, there isn't much you can do about it. You will occasionally get someone ask for a large file bigger than 1600, "for their own use only" !!, but anyone who wants to use a picture for themselves will be able to get what they want from it in the way of a print up to A3 -A4 from a 1600. Any bigger and I want payment for it and I want to know how it's going to be used.

The reputable magazines will always offer money for the use of a picture. As an example "Aircraft Illustrated" printed a small version of one of mine (about double thumbnail size) and paid £25.00. They also sent me free copy of the relevant issue.
            If you see one of yours in a magazine then I would suggest writing to the editors politely pointing out that you are the copyright holder, expect payment for its use, what you want for it and the address to send the cheque to. The fact that they took the time to copy your picture from JP and strip off the copyright bar before using it gives a clue to the fact they aren't too likely to cough up but it's worth a try.

Lots of photographers would give their right arm to see their work in print but you must remember that the publishers are in business to make money, money earned by selling a copy of your work. You are entitled to payment for its use and a name credit. That payment doesn't necessarily have to be cash though. If you're happy to get a free subscription to the magazine then so be it. Some photographers who sell a picture to airlines have even had free flights as a reward.
            You are right: I don't like watermarks, either. It often spoils the beautiful pictures here. And indeed: commercial magazines should pay the copyright holder.
            I do not have (yet?) the illusion that someone will want to have a picture made by me, but should it happen, I would ask for a small fee and a copy of the magazine.

Or should I already make space on my book shelves??

Comment

Working...
            X