Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saurabh....this may help.

Scenario #1
    You upload a picture depicting the CEO of Boeing and the CEO of the first operator of the B787 greeting the first, very recognisable, passengers on the first revenue flight of that aircraft. The scene is a matter of public interest and is being recorded photographically for the transmitted and printed media. Such images are, by inference accepted as being suitable for public consumption and would be very welcome on JP.

Scenario #2
    2 very easily identifiable passengers, the centre of focus of the image but otherwise entirely innocuos, are photographed sitting in the departure lounge waiting to get on to the first revenue flight of the B787. There is no media input or obvious interest and no obvious permission indicated by the passengers to have their image recorded.
    Such an image would be rejected by JP on the grounds of motive.

Does that describe the issue here ?
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I don't think that it will be possible to have one global rule for JP. For example, in the US, everything is centered on the notion whether someone can expect to have a reasonable expectation of privacy. I can imagine that one doesn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a public accessible part of a terminal (so many people there; lots of tourists with camera's and so on) so according to US law the picture would be acceptable.

In Germany, however, taking pictures of people without giving consent is forbidden ("Recht am eigenen Bild"). There are a few exceptions (noteworthy news for example), but that's it. According to German law, you would be in deep shit, posting a picture of people inside a terminal.
      http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=21893

Comment

As usual, very well explained Brian. Thanks

Comment

How about this shot: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...409387&nseq=10 ???
          The old man look to the camera ???

I love JP.net

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
            You have to consider international copyright laws, which state that a person owns the right of a photo taken of him/her. In that case the 2 persons on the front seats can be seen as the main subject and therefore are the legit holder of the copyright to that pic.
            I'm not sure whether 'international copyright law' is different in your country to here in the UK (!) but regardless of what I take, I always own the copyright. Whether I have the right to actually display that image anywhere is the arguable thing, but taking a photo of a person does not, under any circumstances make them the copyright holder unless you're in some kind of agreement with someone else and you're working on their behalf. That scenario would be very much like what happens in music, where it's often the record company that retains the rights to music and not the artist themself.

Incidentally if I take a photo of an adult in a public place, say a city centre, I can use that image however and wherever I like perfectly legally without seeking the permission of the person in the shot. If I take a photo of someone in a private place, like a nightclub or airport as is the case with this shot, then I can't use it without permission but I still own the image. On those grounds the rejection in this case is absolutely correct but it isn't a copyright issue; it's not having the permission of the people in the shot to show it on the net.

Paul
            Last edited by PMN; 2008-11-12, 13:14.
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by kanehoshi View Post
              How about this shot: http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...409387&nseq=10 ???
              The old man look to the camera ???
              Yes you are right, this shot probably should have been rejected.

Regards
              Alex

Comment

Originally posted by arnie View Post
                I don't think that it will be possible to have one global rule for JP. .
                I think it would be easier for JP to have this rule, then they don't have to worry if this country allows pictures of people and this one doesn't.

I had sent a picture to a SR screener because it showed the face of someone in a terminal and he rejected it. Just easier not uploading shots where you can make out the person in the shot where it's allowed in your country or not.

just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
                  Yes you are right, this shot probably should have been rejected.

Regards
                  Alex
                  Two man rejected but one man is oke ?????

I love JP.net

Comment

Two man rejected but one man is oke ?????
                    We don't ALWAYS get it right. It should really have been rejected on motive grounds but Rogers' picture got in and that's that.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                    X