Noisy Photos - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy Photos - Help

I went down to the Oceana airshow yesterday even thought the weather was subpar. It was a bit dark there when I arrived so I used the following settings on my 350D:

Evalative metering
    Al Servo focus
    Auto WB
    Tv mode set in either 1/2500 or 1/6000
    Exposure compensation from 0 to +2/3
    ISO of 400

I snapped way like I usually do in RAW and in continuos mode when the Blue Angles performed. After coming home and downloading my photos I realized that all bet a few of the static display shots were noisy and grainy like I had shot in ISO 800 or 1600. Is there any way to fix these photos or is this a learning experience and I need to use different settings?

I have attached a few examples.

Thanks for any help in solving this problem!

-Chris

Its all about trying and learning, I would of went ISO 200 and shot alot slower, 1/800 would be plenty, then 1/1000 on the highspeed passes as your thorwing your camera from left to right at mach 1 lol.

EDIT: I heard the starfighters didnt fly yesterday??

Comment

Originally posted by YYZPICS View Post
      Its all about trying and learning, I would of went ISO 200 and shot alot slower, 1/800 would be plenty, then 1/1000 on the highspeed passes as your thorwing your camera from left to right at mach 1 lol.

EDIT: I heard the starfighters didnt fly yesterday??
      All right it looks like this airshow was a learning experience. So was Tv mode and all of the other settings the way to go? I'm assuming there is no way to fix an ISO mess-up in PSE's Raw Editor?

I didn't even know there was a starfighter there. The only ones that I saw fly were the Blue Angels, the F15 and F/A-18 demo teams, the F/A-22, the USAF heritage flight, Bill Leff and his Texan, Patsy Wagstaff, Mike Goulian, and the Geico SkyTypers. I only saw 4 of them once I was at the airshow. The others I saw while waiting in traffic to get into the show. The F-15 was doing some low passes over the highway. When you're not ready for it, it can be a bit scary.

Thanks for your help!

-Chris

Comment

I tend to use 100 iso on my 30D and 640th as my shutter speed. That normally works, or 200 ISO if you want it higher. There are some programs out there that reduces the noise, but also reduces the quality of the image.

Comment

Thanks Brenden.

It looks like this was a learning experience as I have tried to get rid of most of the noise in PS but it just reduces the quality too much to make it worth it.

Thanks for the advice guys!

-Chris

Comment

The thumbnails you posted are kinda small, so I don't really see any noise on them at all. Nice shots though. Another thing could be the exposure. I've noticed shots that are really underexposed tend to have more noise, especially when you try to brighten them up.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD View Post
              The thumbnails you posted are kinda small, so I don't really see any noise on them at all. Nice shots though. Another thing could be the exposure. I've noticed shots that are really underexposed tend to have more noise, especially when you try to brighten them up.
              I have attached larger images to this post.

The lighting was very bad that day as at times the sun would be peeking through the clouds and then it would be almost dark out. I got tired of fumbling with my settings so much so I just looked at the histogram every once in awhile and adjusted my settings accordingly.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
              X