Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupidity

Hi guys,

Something stupid happened to me and I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

I took some pictures of some planes somewhere in California, a place called Valle, to be more specific.
    When I was miles away from there I found out that somehow my ISO was set at 1600!! I don't know how this could have happened, I NEVER use ISO 1600 ...

My question is: is it worth uploading the photos or do they not have a chance at all to get accepted due to this ISO setting?

Greets,

Hinkelbein

hey man if it was in daytime then the noise shouldn't be that much...just put the images through smart image or w/e its called and nobody will know the difference

Speed is life... Altitude is life insurance

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
      Hi guys,

Something stupid happened to me and I'd like to hear your opinion on it.

I took some pictures of some planes somewhere in California, a place called Valle, to be more specific.
      When I was miles away from there I found out that somehow my ISO was set at 1600!! I don't know how this could have happened, I NEVER use ISO 1600 ...

My question is: is it worth uploading the photos or do they not have a chance at all to get accepted due to this ISO setting?

Greets,

Hinkelbein
      Edit one of them, if the noise hasn't killed it, post it in the forum. I have never shot at 1600 ISO so would be interested in seeing how then come out.

Comment

Originally posted by airPLAINcrazy View Post
        just put the images through smart image or w/e its called and nobody will know the difference
        The use of noise reduction software is generally not suggested as this leads to a loss in detail most of the times.

Hinkelbein, can you post an example here?

Comment

The pictures were taken in broad daylight, actually the sun was shining very brightly, so I don't think you even notice the ISO is set that high.

I will show you an example when I am at my other computer, since I do not have the photographs on this laptop.

Thanks for your answers!

Comment

Ugh I hate when I do that. I've only done it a few time but since then I obsessively check the ISO. The first time I did it I kept wondering why my camera was picking something like 1/3200 at F.8.

Comment

If you never physically set ISO 1600 then probably wht happened was that something like sport mode or low light mode was accidentally set which then decided that 1660 was appropriate. This occasionally happens with my Nikons when they are in a bag where the programme dial can get accidentally knocked off its setting.

I've now got into the habit of religiously checking aperture priority mode set, ISO at 100, aperture set as required before starting a shoot. Its the very first thing I do when I take the camera out of the case.

It happened once to me when I borrowed a friends Nikon D70 to shoot an accident. He had it set on sports mode and the camera automatically selected ISO 1600. With a bit of judicious use of the anti noise setting in CS3 and a lot of dust removal ( his sensor was absolutely filthy ) the pic is now in the database.
              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Brian, can you tell me: how were the pictures you took with sport mode? I had to shoot a couple of pics with this mode, because I had to be quick and was unprepared. These things happen

On the other hand: I am surprised to hear that the ISO is not set back to 100 when you switch from a programmed mode (Sport, Portrait, whatever) and go back to the not-programmed settings on the dial.
                I have never noticed this or tested this. I should do this, because I also take pics with programmed modes (not necessarily pics of planes).

Comment

Two more things:

1.) I can't find the pictures with the ISO value of 1600. I suspect that I actually did discover it right on time, but that I just don't remember me correcting this.
                  No, I don't consume alcoholic beverages when spotting.

2.) Photos that were taken with a programm (sports or anything) do have a chance of being accepted, right?

Comment

I happened once. ISO 1600 for my mistake.
                    Noise absolutely excessive. Some were canceled, others stored in my personnel folder of crap

Comment

Did you not notice by the rediculous shutter speeds it would have required??!!!

Eitherway depending on the shots, with some careful use of noise reduction software, they may be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Eadster View Post
                        That's exactly what I was going to say. The little display in the bottom of your viewfinder is there for a reason! Pay attention to it, for it can save all sorts of embarrassment... And I learned that the hard way!

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
                        No, I don't consume alcoholic beverages when spotting.
                        Dammit.. Maybe that's why roughly 80% of my uploads are blurry or out of focus!

Paul
                        Last edited by PMN; 2008-11-05, 11:32.
                        Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

The ISO happened to me once, at 400 ISO, the few pics I took before noticing went straight to the trash bin.
                          What I did several times is forgetting the battery at home... that sucks but most of the times there was some nice Canon photographer around who'll let me use one of his.

Comment

Originally posted by Eadster View Post
                            You're really right Eadster, but - please - don't forget that the title of this topic is... stupidity...!

Comment

Originally posted by Gandalf View Post
                              You're really right Eadster, but - please - don't forget that the title of this topic is... stupidity...!
                              Indeed it is.
                              But I garantee that it will never happen again.

(Too bad I'm not a politician, so I can break my promise!)

Comment

Working...
                              X