Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejection Help/CMOS Dust

Greetings!
    These two photos were recently rejected for CMOS Dust. I don't see any obvious dust spots. I use Capture NX and Aperture to post process my photos which don't seem to have this "equalisation" function of PS to easily highlight dust spots, as mentioned in other threads. I"d be grateful if the dust spots could be pointed out to me.
    Thanks.
    Michael.

Here they are:

Not very obvious without the equalization feature. Another way to find them is to create a duplicate of the picture and then bump up the contrast until they become visible. Hope this helps.

-Chris

Comment

Thanks, Chris, for your prompt reply and software manipulation. I am truly grateful for you taking the time and effort to assist with this.

If anyone can offer a link to a clear explanation as to why a photo needs to be rejected due to dust spots that are not visible without the aid of software, I'd love to read about it.

Cheers.
      Michael.

Comment

A couple of extracts from our screening guidelines may help with the question...

Following photos shall be instant rejected:
        • photos with bad cropping (white edges etc.)
        • photos which do not meet the aspect ratio rules
        • photos with a clearly unlevel horizon
        • photos with clearly visible dust spots
        • photos with wrong infos as mentioned above
        • photos with obviously wrong categories, as mentioned above
        • photos with obvious quality issues

There are five screening tools in the large photo display:
        • CHECK FOR DUST
        • HISTOGRAM
        • RGB HISTOGRAM
        • HORIZON
        • CENTER
        • MAGNIFY
        Use them in borderline cases, but don't base your screening decision only on those tools. For example: a photo, where a dust spot is only visible with the "Check for dust" tool, but not by the naked eye in the uploaded photo shall not be rejected.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Use them in borderline cases, but don't base your screening decision only on those tools. For example: a photo, where a dust spot is only visible with the "Check for dust" tool, but not by the naked eye in the uploaded photo shall not be reject
          In that case I have some doubts about rejections , for dust spots only, in the past, where dust spots weren't visible at all, without equalizing the photo.
          (or my eyes need some medical improvement.......)
          I never appeal this rejections; just clone out the spots and re-upload them, but from now on I begin to wonder if an appeal would help......

Regards

Freek

Comment

Be careful Freek,

Sometimes when screening I don't immediately see spots but, on using the equalise tool, I see some. If I go back to the unequalised image and the spot is now obvious then I'll reject.

Some people might say "But that's unfair, you didn't see it at first, then you do because you know where it is now !"
            The point is that, having seen the spot in the equalised version I can still see it in the unequalised. It's there and it needs fixing.

The reverse also happens where an equalised spot is not visible when unequalised and I'll accept.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
            X