Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizon unlevel problem... me too...

Hi,

I would like to ask a principle question regarding the rejection of the picture because of horizon unlevel reason.

I’m not asking about a particular picture but I would like to understand why there is an aggravation in this issue.

There is no doubt that picture with conspicuous unlevel should not be accepted, but where there are 0.3 unlevel deviations – inconspicuous and cannot be captured by regular eye without specific application it is not clear why still such pictures are rejected.

I would appreciate to get comments from the crew & from other spotters as well.

Best regards,
    Erez.

Originally posted by ErezS View Post
    but where there are 0.3 unlevel deviations – inconspicuous and cannot be captured by regular eye without specific application it is not clear why still such pictures are rejected.
    Erez,
    Just look for reliable verticals (preferably in the middle of the pic) to level your picture. Thats how we screen them (using the regular eye).
    Peter
    http://www.vap-group.at
    http://www.austrianaviation.net

Comment

For pictures taken outside I find this no problem. I really can't stand pics with unstraight horizons. It's unnatural.

But I have trouble finding horizons with inside pictures. I have had a few rejected because of this!
      I have thought about quitting uploading pictures taken inside, but "unfortunately" I have some that are not yet in our dbase

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
        For pictures taken outside I find this no problem. I really can't stand pics with unstraight horizons. It's unnatural.
        If reliable verticals are available always use them to level the picture instead of using the horizon.

But I have trouble finding horizons with inside pictures. I have had a few rejected because of this!
        Just show them either in the rejected thread or in the prescreening thread and i am sure there are enough people around here to help you out of your troubles

I have thought about quitting uploading pictures taken inside, but "unfortunately" I have some that are not yet in our dbase
        Just let them come
        Peter

Comment

Originally posted by oe-vap View Post
          If reliable verticals are available always use them to level the picture instead of using the horizon.

Just let them come
          OE-VAP, Servus!

I will certainly upload them. Id they are rejected a couple of times, I will let screeners see it before the uploading process, so maybe they can help me with the right horizon level.

Some pictures just must be made public

Comment

There is no doubt that picture with conspicuous unlevel should not be accepted, but where there are 0.3 unlevel deviations – inconspicuous and cannot be captured by regular eye without specific application it is not clear why still such pictures are rejected.
            The simple fact that it's been rejected means however small the deviation from level, someone's spotted it. To my mind if you can clearly see something that should be level is leaning, the image should be rejected.

Paul
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Erez,
              Just look for reliable verticals (preferably in the middle of the pic) to level your picture. Thats how we screen them (using the regular eye).
              Peter,
              Thanks for your answer.

I would appreciate if you will be able to take a look on some of my other pictures that were rejected from this reason and they don’t have reliable verticals at all…

I’m doing all my best to enhance the quality of my pictures, you can see it, I guess, therefore I’m a bit disappointed when my pictures are rejected based on reason that cannot be even measured by a regular eye...

Best Regards,
              Erez.

P.S.
              also thanks for the all answers.

Comment

I would appreciate if you will be able to take a look on some of my other pictures that were rejected from this reason and they don’t have reliable verticals at all…
                Just post some and i will try to do my best if i find time to comment on them.
                Peter

Comment

Just post some and i will try to do my best if i find time to comment on them.
                  Dear Peter.
                  I have just checked my list of rejected photos in the last 14 days and apparently all the rejections I have written to you previously and over 14 days ago.

In any case, I'm bothered as for rejection over of 0.3 degrees only, which is unnoticeable in regular human eyes.

Best regards,
                  Erez.

Comment

In any case, I'm bothered as for rejection over of 0.3 degrees only, which is unnoticeable in regular human eyes.
                    Is there any way you could post the rejection here so we can see? Human eyes are not all the same!

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                      Is there any way you could post the rejection here so we can see? Human eyes are not all the same!

Paul
                      Ok Paul,
                      Please check the below pictures:

Comment

Well, that are interesting pics.

I am not a screener, but with my naked eye, I don't see something strange.It's very difficult to see a horizon at all, or even a good vertical subject to use for levelling.
                        Just like the TS, I am very intersted in a screener's reaction about these rejections. Reject, only for such a very small amount of beiing unlevel is not what comes in mind, if "screen to accept, not to reject" is the standard for our screeners.

Regards
                        Freek
                        Last edited by wrxflyer; 2008-11-26, 13:51.

Comment

It is noticeable by eye in the first and second image but I agree it really is by a very, very small amount. I think the last rejection is a little harsh to be honest. The post on the left looks pretty much level with the edge of the frame bar maybe the ever so slightest hint of a lean to the left, but it isn't really immediately obvious to me.

Paul
                          Last edited by PMN; 2008-11-26, 13:48.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Erez,

#1. Needs 0.5 CW rotation. I know that doesn't sound like much but it stops the aircraft seeming to climb up to the right and brings the hangar vertical to truly vertical.

#2. Needs 0.6 CW rotation. Same as above.

#3. Needs 0.5 CW rotation. Same as above.

As I say, half a degree doesn't sound like much but it makes a big visual difference. Don't worry, I've had some similar rejections recently myself.
                            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              #3. Needs 0.5 CW rotation. Same as above.

As I say, half a degree doesn't sound like much but it makes a big visual difference. Don't worry, I've had some similar rejections recently myself.
                              You're absolutely right, I can see that now. My eyes must have stopped working for a few minutes earlier!

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X