Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark/underexposed?

Hello all,

can someone explain me why this is considered to be too dark?

Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback,
    Joop

What is the motive of the shot?

If it is the activity of the pilots on the flightdeck then they are too dark as you can't make out any interior detail.

If it is the cockpit windows themselves then why are they cut off on both sides?

I find this photo's motive difficult to decifer.

Comment

To my eyes it's considered to be too dark because the only thing that would be of any real interest in this shot, i.e. inside the cockpit, is too dark to be seen in any real detail. I also have to agree on the motive not being clear. What exactly is it a photograph of? We can see it's a cockpit close up but it doesn't show any interior details because of the darkness, and it's too close to be considered a general shot of the cockpit.

Was it cropped from a view of the cockpit or was that pretty much how it came from the camera?

Paul
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Joop,

I was the second screener on this one and I left you a note on what to do which answers your question on what is dark about it.

Just in case you didn't see the note in the rejection email here is the screening data associated with the picture. My comment is listed in Photog Rem.

RejectID 2228122
        Date Uploaded Nov 22, 2008 - 13:00
        Reasons - Dark/Under
        - Contrast
        Screener 1 Name Screener Num 1
        Decision VoteReject
        Reasons - Dark/Under
        - Contrast
        Screener 2 Name Screener Num 2
        Decision VoteReject
        Reasons - Dark/Under
        - Contrast
        Photog Rem Lighten th cockpit interior either with shadow/highlight or curves...but be VERY careful not to introduce grain.
        Photo APPEALED
        Date Appealed Nov 27, 2008 - 00:07
        Appeal Reason Dear screener, what is dark about this and what is bad with the contrast. As you can see the sun is fully shining on the left side of the a/c. Due to the angle the photo is taken the right side is consequently darker due to shadow. Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback, Joop
        Admin Admin
        Decision rejected
        Screen Date Nov 27, 2008 - 00:08
        Admin Comments Please, use our forums for advise.
        Crew Comments
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

....and here is a very quick rework using shadow/highlight settings of 12% shadow and 10% highlight. This is saved at 8/12 resolution in PS to lower filesize....

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?i...80445v2bo6.jpg

Comment

Still does nothing for me. The motive is really questionable on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              ....and here is a very quick rework using shadow/highlight settings of 12% shadow and 10% highlight. This is saved at 8/12 resolution in PS to lower filesize....
              It's evened the exposure out a little but looks somewhat un-natural to me. It clearly looks processed now.

I agree with Seahawk on the motive as well. It still isn't clear enough for me personally. Some photos just arn't meant to be, and unfortunately perhaps this is one of them. As always, that's just my opinion though!

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

A very clear Motive rejection for me. That's exactly the type of shot maybe cool for your personnal collection but it doesn't really fit in JP database.

Regards
                Alex

Comment

I have to say that I'm not keen on the motive either. If there were some interesting reflections on the fuselage then maybe...but right now...no.

BTW, I posted my quick rework to illustrate the darkness, not to offer an alternative to upload.

Comment

BTW, I posted my quick rework to illustrate the darkness, not to offer an alternative to upload.
                    I know. Sorry, I didnt mean what I said in a harsh way. I just meant to reinforce the point that this photo possibly isn't really one that's editable to an uploadable standard, although maybe I should have worded it differently.

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

Joop,

I was the second screener on this one and I left you a note on what to do which answers your question on what is dark about it.

Just in case you didn't see the note in the rejection email here is the screening data associated with the picture. My comment is listed in Photog Rem.

RejectID 2228122
                      Date Uploaded Nov 22, 2008 - 13:00
                      Reasons - Dark/Under
                      - Contrast
                      Screener 1 Name Screener Num 1
                      Decision VoteReject
                      Reasons - Dark/Under
                      - Contrast
                      Screener 2 Name Screener Num 2
                      Decision VoteReject
                      Reasons - Dark/Under
                      - Contrast
                      Photog Rem Lighten th cockpit interior either with shadow/highlight or curves...but be VERY careful not to introduce grain.
                      Photo APPEALED
                      Date Appealed Nov 27, 2008 - 00:07
                      Appeal Reason Dear screener, what is dark about this and what is bad with the contrast. As you can see the sun is fully shining on the left side of the a/c. Due to the angle the photo is taken the right side is consequently darker due to shadow. Thanks in advance for your constructive feedback, Joop
                      Admin Admin
                      Decision rejected
                      Screen Date Nov 27, 2008 - 00:08
                      Admin Comments Please, use our forums for advise.
                      Crew Comments
                      Hello Brian,

thanks for your valuable feedback.
                      I didn't get the note in the appeal rejection, only thin which was visible in the message was to use the forum for this kind of questions which I did .
                      The motive is debateble as there are more shots like this in the database so for me it's unclear when it's bad motive or not.

Once again, thanks.
                      Joop

Comment

Joop, the screener's comment is sent to you with the screening mail. Then you appealed and got the message labeled as "admin comments". Please read those screening mails. We regularely write some advice to the photogs, when screening photos. It's rather frustrating to see, that they are not read.
                        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                          It's rather frustrating to see, that they are not read.
                          Oh
                          Yes it is !!!!!!!
                          Last edited by Alex - Spot-This !; 2008-11-29, 17:07.

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                            Joop, the screener's comment is sent to you with the screening mail. Then you appealed and got the message labeled as "admin comments". Please read those screening mails. We regularely write some advice to the photogs, when screening photos. It's rather frustrating to see, that they are not read.
                            My apologies Gerardo, i missed the admin comments.
                            Although I have to say it's rather rare then regularly that I get admin comments in a rejection.
                            At least, that's my experience.

Thanks anyway for your feedback,
                            Joop

Comment

Joop, I looked at your appeals that are still in the db :

No of appeals : 7

appeals with admin comment : 6

It is also interesting that you did appeal 50% of your rejects in the last 14 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X