Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejected for bad postprocessing...

...and oversharpened.
    Oversharpen is easily fixed, but postprocessing?
    Colour is exactly as it was, the sun has just set and there was some dark clouds that filtered the rays of the sun so the sky was pink/purple and really amazing.
    A small amount of noise reduction has been applied, and I mean small! Other than that it has only been sharpened.
    So, what to do?

Johnny

Johnny.. I was checking your pic and I don't see any of the classic signs of bad post processing... like halos for example. this is a good thing.
    The pic is clearly oversharpened but that is fixable. I'd edit it again applying less USM, trying to be less agressive but you must know that the light on it is not the best. maybe they just don't like that.

regards!

Will I ever repeat this?

Comment

It does have a general feel of being overprocessed, but I can't for the life of me put my finger on exactly why. The oversharpening has added to the white line of light along the top of the fuselage and over the nose, which immediately jumps out at me as looking a little odd. Perhaps it's the combination of oversharpening and noise reduction? If I'm being entirely honest, if an image is noisy enough to need NR I generally just bin it because I often think images with it applied do end up looking rather un-natural, especially when sharpened back up again.

Is there any way you can post the original for us to have a look at? Feel free to email it to me at [email protected] if you'd like me to have a go editing.

Paul
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys!
        This is the original, only reduced from 4752x3168 to 1024x683. Nothing else has been done to it. So you can see the colours, you can see the white line running down the top of the fuselage etc etc.

Edit: ooops uploaded wrong one, corrected now

Comment

It was accepted after 10 seconds of screening on "the other site" so I am pretty sure it is correctly processed and not TOO oversharpened. They are generally harder than JP, and I must say that I prefer JP's standards over Anet, just not in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKrist View Post
            It was accepted after 10 seconds of screening on "the other site" so I am pretty sure it is correctly processed and not TOO oversharpened.
            Different sites do have different standards, though. Getting it accepted on A.Net or anywhere else is by no means a guarantee it will be accepted here.

I don't think there's any real doubt the first version you posted is oversharpened; it shows itself in so many areas of the image. That said, it is a nice capture so the screeners on A.Net (assuming that's where you mean when you say 'the other site') I guess looked at the many good points this photo has, although I do still think it could look a little cleaner and more natural using a slightly different sharpening technique and possibly doing away with the noise reduction altogether.

Paul
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Seeing as this shot was looked at by 3 screeners and one of them voted to add your picture, I guess you could try an appeal?

Comment

Especially noise reduction is one of the points were jp.net and a.net do differ a lot. We rather accept a little more noise in a stunning shot, then the "plastic" look made by noise reduction. A.net does the opposite imho.

Comment

I do agree about noise reduction, it's a very fine line that most tread over giving it a plastic look. I add very very little , and I can assure you that I would not even try to upload anything that has had that kind of heavy noise reduction added to it.
                  And I know JP and Anet have different standards, but changes are happening at both sites, with JP accepting some backlits, and Anet some more creative shots that has always been JP's strength.

Another problem with this pic though is that I didn't do something I always do otherwise, saving differnt stages in the workflow, so I cant reverse, and I don't feel like starting over.
                  I'll consider appealing, and that's a good thing here, a rejection only sets you back temporarily, not that I usually appeal, just done it twice so far

Comment

Appeal went through and it has now been added.
                    Thanks all for your valuable input!

Comment

Working...
                    X