Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with an Overexposed photograph.

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if somebody might be able to give me some assistance with this photo. I really like it, and was hoping that I would be able to get it into the DB.

Its overexposed on the tail, so I've been told - but how would I go about fixing this?

Thanks for your assistance guys,

Hi Ben,

This is easily fixed and the quickest way to do so is to use the Burn tool.

Select the Burn tool and set it to 'Highlights' at around 4%. If you open the histogram (set to 'Luminoisity', not 'RGB') you'll notice a line up the right side of the graph. This line is telling you there are clipped pixels in your image. The higher the line up the right side, the more clipped or overexposed pixels you have. Once you've selected the Burn tool and opened the histogram, run over the brightest parts of the image and you should notice the line up the right side start to drop down. Keep passing over the brightest bits until the graph just touches the right side but doesn't form a vertical line.

I also made a slight Levels adjustment to lighten the mid tones as the image had a slight bias towards the dark side, and then added a little more saturation to compensate for that.

I hope that helps. You'll get far better results editing again from the original. One thing I would say is it's slightly too low in the frame so if you do re-edit, just crop so the fuselage is more central in the frame (a little higher).

Paul
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Hate to burst our bubbles here, but both shots would still get booted for overexposed. The whites are just too bright.

I can have a crack at it for you, I have a few other methods that may help, but whiles are very bright.

Let me know if you would like me to have a go at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eadster View Post
        Hate to burst our bubbles here
        Hmm... Pleasant!

I didn't say it was acceptable or perfect, I just explained a way of getting round the problem and it will work with enough time spent on it.

Paul
        Last edited by PMN; 2009-01-12, 02:47.
        Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

I thought it would have got pinged for heat haze, there is noticable ripples down the wing.

Comment

Overexposed or not, it's a very nice shot! I hope you can get it in the db

rgds,

Alberto

Comment

Cheers for all the help guys, especially Martins. Its now in the screening que once again. If it fails this time, I guess its one for the private collection.

Comment

Originally posted by jetsetkiwi View Post
                Cheers for all the help guys, especially Martins. Its now in the screening que once again. If it fails this time, I guess its one for the private collection.
                No probs, as I said to you, the heat haze is not noticeable at 1024, plus what made it easier is that the original was not overexposed! editing comes with practise, you'll get there. Any help required, let me know.

Comment

Working...
                X