Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of screener comments on rejected appealed photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of screener comments on rejected appealed photos.

I do not normally appeal photos as usually I'm happy enough to try and learn from rejected images, and I feel abit bad for bringing this up but... I recently appealed a photo which had been rejected for being similar to a photo that had been already uploaded by myself.

The rejected photo;

The similar photo;

Once belonging to Polar Air Cargo, this 747 now belongs to Prestwick Airport and is one of the firemens large toys. Despite this, and the missing tail ruddder which blew off during a storm, the aircraft doesn't look too bad!. N852FT. Boeing 747-122(SF). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Whilst I 'sort of' see when the sreeners are coming from, I supplied a comment to the screeners containing two photos already on the database, both photos showing the same aircraft from the same spot on the same day from the same photographer, one shot showing the full aircraft, one shot of the aircrafts tail.

What slightly frustrates me, despite the screeners hard work, which mostly goes unappreciated, is the lack of comment on rejected appealed photos. I thought it was almost necessary for some sort of comment in order to clear things up. Some clarity would have been nice so lessons can be learnt in the future.

Could a screener possibly provide some clarity? I don't particularly want to post the other similar photos as it is usually frowned upon to question other photographers photos.

Regards,

Dave

Originally posted by legoguy View Post
    I do not normally appeal photos as usually I'm happy enough to try and learn from rejected images, and I feel abit bad for bringing this up but... I recently appealed a photo which had been rejected for being similar to a photo that had been already uploaded by myself.

The rejected photo;

The similar photo;

Once belonging to Polar Air Cargo, this 747 now belongs to Prestwick Airport and is one of the firemens large toys. Despite this, and the missing tail ruddder which blew off during a storm, the aircraft doesn't look too bad!. N852FT. Boeing 747-122(SF). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Whilst I 'sort of' see when the sreeners are coming from, I supplied a comment to the screeners containing two photos already on the database, both photos showing the same aircraft from the same spot on the same day from the same photographer, one shot showing the full aircraft, one shot of the aircrafts tail.

What slightly frustrates me, despite the screeners hard work, which mostly goes unappreciated, is the lack of comment on rejected appealed photos. I thought it was almost necessary for some sort of comment in order to clear things up. Some clarity would have been nice so lessons can be learnt in the future.

Could a screener possibly provide some clarity? I don't particularly want to post the other similar photos as it is usually frowned upon to question other photographers photos.

Regards,

Dave
    Hello Dave,

As you know, I'm not an expert, but I seen so many similiar rejections, so here are the common reasons why your "semi-similiar photo" probably got rejected.

1. Same aircraft in the same position, the second photo is just a nose close-up
    2. Same date
    3. Same location

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
      Hello Dave,

As you know, I'm not an expert, but I seen so many similiar rejections, so here are the common reasons why your "semi-similiar photo" probably got rejected.

1. Same aircraft in the same position, the second photo is just a nose close-up
      2. Same date
      3. Same location

Rohan
      Hi Rohan, thans for your reply. Whilst I can understand these reasons, I have seen at least two photo of an aircraft matching all of the mentioned points above.

Same photographer, same aircraft, same position, same date and location, etc etc, just one photo showing the entire aircraft and one photo showing a close up of the tail.

I just want to establish what is and isn't allowed with regards to close ups of existing photos, if you now what I mean. I just feel disappointed that the screener didn't clarify the situation after I went to the trouble of providing similar photos already on the database. I bet I sound like a right moaner

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Sometimes, similar photos make their way in, just as photos with other flaws we should have checked with better but also more time consuming screening.

We really don't always check for similars, which is quite understandable with the queue we have at the moment and sometimes decisions on borderline photos are different with different screeners.

Seniors/admins don't always leave a comment on appeal. If the photog doesn't write anything, he can't expect anything back. That wasn't your case, but I thought, I post it here, because we get many such appeals.

If the senior/admin fully agrees with the screener, then he sometimes also doesn't write anything back. That's probably not the best solution, but a) it happens and b) sometimes there's not much we can write on an appeal.

In your case, the photo was deemed as too similar, because it mainly shows, what the other photos shows, just zoomed more in. If the close up had been taken on a different angle for example, it may have had a chance.

Hope this explains it a bit.
        My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks Gerardo for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

I hadn't really thought about other photos slipping through screening although it is perfectably understandable so that solves it

Thanks again

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by legoguy View Post
            I hadn't really thought about other photos slipping through screening although it is perfectably understandable so that solves it
            ... which means, you thought we were perfect. Me and my big mouth ....
            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
              ... which means, you thought we were perfect. Me and my big mouth ....
              Yup, the cats out of the bag now

Comment

Working...
              X