Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth an appeal?

Hi everyone,

I just had this photo - http://www.jetphotos.net//viewreject_b.php?id=2419494 rejected for "similar photo uploaded". The similar photo being referred to is this one - http://www.jetphotos.net//viewphoto.php?id=6526713 - I understand that they were taken from the exact same spot on the same day, but I feel that the photos are actually very different, showing different angles and aspects of the aircraft. Is this worth appealing, or would I just be wasting the screener's time?

I am more than happy to be corrected, and understand if they are just too similar for the database, but I believe that they are both decent photos worthy of uploading.

Thanks for any opinions offered!!

Gareth.

Too much alike unfortunately Gareth. For example even your recent FedEx uploads were borderline similar.

Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply AJ, I'll keep that in mind in future to save time for both myself and the screeners

Comment

It's a good plan to choose just one shot from a landing or takeoff sequence. Choose the best one and upload that.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hi Brian, thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. Would 1 taxiing and 1 on takeoff/landing be ok (as long as they are significantly different?)

Here is another of mine that got rejected, and I'm just after some advice as to how to improve it. http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2418042

IMO it is exactly level (look at the light poles and the vertical frame on the jetblast fence to the right). But anyhow, I just don't know how to improve the exposure of the photo - right now it is a bit too dark, but when i change the brightness, it seems to become washed out. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm using Photoshop CS3.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Gareth.

Comment

I've to agree that it looks level.
            About the exposure, you can improve it a bit by working with curves( and some selective working on the a/c).
            Here's a quick edit.

Comment

Originally posted by g.forwood View Post
              Hi Brian, thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. Would 1 taxiing and 1 on takeoff/landing be ok (as long as they are significantly different?)

Here is another of mine that got rejected, and I'm just after some advice as to how to improve it. http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2418042

IMO it is exactly level (look at the light poles and the vertical frame on the jetblast fence to the right). But anyhow, I just don't know how to improve the exposure of the photo - right now it is a bit too dark, but when i change the brightness, it seems to become washed out. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm using Photoshop CS3.

Gareth.
              Just to add to what arjenp said above, it appears to me that the photo has a blue colour cast to it. Even using auto colour (image > adjustments > auto colour) seems to help it, or you can manually adjust the colours using colour balance.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by legoguy View Post
                Just to add to what arjenp said above, it appears to me that the photo has a blue colour cast to it. Even using auto colour (image > adjustments > auto colour) seems to help it, or you can manually adjust the colours using colour balance.

Dave
                I didn't noticed it.
                When you fix that(can also be done by working the blue curves) it's easier to fix the exposure problem.

Comment

Looks like its time for me to bite the bullet and do a tutorial on curves - I've never used them before but I've heard how useful they can be. They just seem rather intimidating haha. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate the time taken to help.

Comment

Gareth.
                    Here's a quick rework.....

1. Go to Levels and set the grey point to the rear of the main gear tyre. This will fix the colour cast.
                    2. Still in levels, bring the dark tone baseline arrow in to the right until it just touches the end of the graph. This will make it a bit darker but will correct the contrast.
                    3. Add about 25 - 30 ( here I added 25 ) of brightness.

....And yes, one taxiing and one landing/taking off is a good pair to combine. Ensure that they are, for instance right side taxiing and left side taking off and you get two pictures which each tell a different story.
                    At places here such as Heathrow you only really get one chance for a pic as they land or take off as the taxiing shots happen outside of your view but if you take a look at some of the Amsterdam or Frankfurt shots for instance then you'll see what I mean.

Here's a couple of examples...

[photoid=6485741]

[photoid=6475133]

And a couple from your own neck of the woods......

[photoid=6525816]

[photoid=6525815]
                    Last edited by brianw999; 2009-04-09, 13:08.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Looks like its time for me to bite the bullet and do a tutorial on curves - I've never used them before but I've heard how useful they can be. They just seem rather intimidating haha. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate the time taken to help.
                      Curves are great (and Im not just talking about the female form) I do all my contrast/ lighting and colour adjustments using curves I will not let camera/lightroom or RAW editor to adjust any of these because CS3 does it well, once you use them they become easier and very useful!

Basic rule with curves is the steeper the line the higher the contrast, the flatter the line the lower the contrast then you can selectively adjust contrast in different tones of your picture,ie add contrast to the highlights while leaving the midtones and darker areas alone by putting "Anchors" (just simply clicking) on the line

Comment

It's a good plan to choose just one shot from a landing or takeoff sequence. Choose the best one and upload that

Yes its always good advice , you do tend to get a few people uplading sequencies & letting the screener decide

Comment

Originally posted by Virgin777 View Post
                          It's a good plan to choose just one shot from a landing or takeoff sequence. Choose the best one and upload that

Yes its always good advice , you do tend to get a few people uplading sequencies & letting the screener decide
                          which is why there is 9000 in the que.....

Comment

Thanks so much everyone for all the help and advice, I really appreciate the time and effort you all put into this!!! Here is the new version in the queue.
                            Last edited by g.forwood; 2009-04-11, 09:40.

Comment

Working...
                            X