Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something is just not right.

Hello all.

As you may see, i have 42 photos in the database, but im somewhat unhappy with the outcome with most of the photographs.

All my photographs seem to carry a slight aspect to them which i don't like.

I can't quite pin point this problem, but it seems to be that they have jpeg artifacts to them.

I have tried so many different editing techniques, but am still unhappy with the outcome upon completion.

I would kindly like to ask one of you fellow photographs to edit one of my photographs from the original photo and for me to see if your outcome is more pleasing to my eye, as this way i can pin point if my editing skills are the cause of this problem.

Here is a photograph i would like you to edit for me, if you would be ok to do this:

http://smonkcaptain.picturepush.com/...&image=1742911

If you could post the edited photograph, i would be more than grateful.

Thankyou in advanced.

Originally posted by Jimmy Leaman View Post
    Hello all.

As you may see, i have 42 photos in the database, but im somewhat unhappy with the outcome with most of the photographs.

All my photographs seem to carry a slight aspect to them which i don't like.

I can't quite pin point this problem, but it seems to be that they have jpeg artifacts to them.

I have tried so many different editing techniques, but am still unhappy with the outcome upon completion.

I would kindly like to ask one of you fellow photographs to edit one of my photographs from the original photo and for me to see if your outcome is more pleasing to my eye, as this way i can pin point if my editing skills are the cause of this problem.

Here is a photograph i would like you to edit for me, if you would be ok to do this:

http://smonkcaptain.picturepush.com/...&image=1742911

If you could post the edited photograph, i would be more than grateful.

Thank you in advanced.
    Well the composition of the photo seems ok and it's a pretty nice photo. To me the photo looks slightly backlit and there's some jpg artifacting on the top of the plane, which can be fixed. The backlighting isn't severe so maybe someone who has more intricate knowledge about photoshop can help you minimize the effect. I would post the link to the 1024 pixel version, not the full size because the 1024 pixel version was much sharper. Sorry, my edits weren't much better so I won't be posting them. Could you elaborate on what exactly you don't like about your database photos, to me most of them looked excellent.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Hi Jimmy.

I agree with all the words on the Rohan post. I don't have great skills abt photo editing so, as Rohan I don't put here.

But I have seen your photos on yr database which are very pretty.

I don't really understand your opinion about your photos. They are really cool!

My best regards and don't worry about your pics!
      A portuguese photojournalist living in Brazil.

Comment

Currently in the middle of exams... I'm looking for excuses not to revise and this is a perfect chance

Not the greatest edit but should be enough;

I'm sure you could probably produce something either the same or better. Looking through your photos on the database, you don't have anything to be worried about as you have plenty of good photos.

As for feeling uncomfortable about your editting techniques, perhaps a common thing for photographers at first. I'm only becoming comfortable now with my editting after starting 8 months ago. Practise helps

Comment

I can't really agree with some of the posts so far. It isn't really backlit; the clouds are fairly bright but the light is absolutely fine, and I'm not seeing JPEG artefacts; more something that looks strangely like heat haze which unfortunately will never be fixable with any editing. That said, you can't really see it when resized to 1024 wide as Legoguy's fine edit shows. I would expect it to be somewhat sharper and brighter straight out of the camera though. The more 'correct' you get the image when you shoot, the less you need to do in processing and the better it will eventually look, so keep an eye on the histogram and add exposure compensation to get the image as bright in camera as you can without overexposing. Going from that image, adding two thirds of a stop exposure compensation would brighten it just about the right amount. Just be careful not to overexpose!

Paul
          Last edited by PMN; 2009-05-19, 11:35.
          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Thanks all.

Here was my attempt, and comparing to Dave's, it's not looking too good.

Comment

Jimmy,

I think you're beating yourself up over nothing. Your current d/b shots look fine to me.

Regarding your KLM example, I processed as follows....

1. Set histogram in "Levels"
              2. Resize to 1200-800.
              3. Clean up dust spots.
              4. Add +12 contrast.
              5. Add +20 brightness.
              6. Add 5 overall passes of USM at 50...0.2....0

...and got this....( possibly might need a small amount of selective sharpening on the engines, but not much )

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hey. thanks for all you help.

Is this one any better?

Comment

^^The above edit looks much better than your first one. Responding to PMN's post, I made a mistake in saying that your original photo was slightily backlit, it was just dark and lacking contrast, probably due to the high sun. Good luck, hopefully we will be seeing this photo in the database sometime soon.

Regards,

Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohank4284 View Post
                    ^^The above edit looks much better than your first one. Responding to PMN's post, I made a mistake in saying that your original photo was slightily backlit, it was just dark and lacking contrast, probably due to the high sun. Good luck, hopefully we will be seeing this photo in the database sometime soon.

Regards,

Rohan

Yer, just got to wait intill i have 50 photos in the database before i can start uploading bigger sizes.

Comment

The only problem that I could see in the original is heat distortion like Paul said. Nothing wrong with your shooting. The only thing you can do about heat distortion is to get closer to your subject (not possible in this case) or to shoot when the sun is lower in the sky.

Comment

Cheers all, here is the accepted shot.

Comment

Jimmy your shots for a beginner look damn good, I don't see any issues at all with the ones in the database. All shot very well and edited the same.

Comment

And afaik you can download editing guides.

Comment

Working...
                            X