Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re:Backlit Photos

Hi all,

Could you please go over the rules for backlit photos, This is because I have just has this photo rejected http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2500940 (i known the contrast is out as well) and then as I was browsing the database I found [photoid=6560221] and [photoid=6567386]. Please can you expalin why these were accepted and other I have tried and seen have all been rejected.

P.S. I just want to make it clear I am not being rude to towards any of the screeners and photographers, I am just curious

Thanks
    Ben Leonard
    Last edited by AJ; 2009-05-26, 06:15.

Ben,

Backlit is just as it says...where the light source is behind the centreline of the aircraft. Notice that I say "centreline" and not just "behind". The light source can be off to one side but if it doesn't throw light on the aircraft with any sufficent detail then the shot is backlit.
    The backlit rejection is used for pics where the side nearest the camera is in shadow and there are no other reflections of light on that side to make it interesting and give it some life. Your picture falls into this category.

The Ryanair example you give is not backlit as the fuselage has plenty of light falling on it and is actually toplit.
    The same goes for your second example where there is sufficient light falling on the fuselage to give it shape and form. Again, this one is toplit from the right and not backlit.

There are some exceptions to the rule where backlit is allowed. One is the classic evening sun/setting sun silhouette and the other is where there is reflected light falling on the shadow side of an otherwise backlit aircraft.
    Imagine two shiny aircraft standing facing you at around 30 degrees and pointing to your left. The sun is to the left.
    The right hand side (as you look at it) of both aircraft is in shadow. The right hand aircraft will give a backlit image which would be rejected but the left hand aircraft, although it is technically backlit may well be getting the reflection of the lit side of the right hand aircraft making it an acceptable shot. For such shots to work they generally need to have a strong reflected light putting lots of interest into the reflection.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      Ben,

Backlit is just as it says...where the light source is behind the centreline of the aircraft. Notice that I say "centreline" and not just "behind". The light source can be off to one side but if it doesn't throw light on the aircraft with any sufficent detail then the shot is backlit.
      The backlit rejection is used for pics where the side nearest the camera is in shadow and there are no other reflections of light on that side to make it interesting and give it some life. Your picture falls into this category.

The Ryanair example you give is not backlit as the fuselage has plenty of light falling on it and is actually toplit.
      The same goes for your second example where there is sufficient light falling on the fuselage to give it shape and form. Again, this one is toplit from the right and not backlit.

There are some exceptions to the rule where backlit is allowed. One is the classic evening sun/setting sun silhouette and the other is where there is reflected light falling on the shadow side of an otherwise backlit aircraft.
      Imagine two shiny aircraft standing facing you at around 30 degrees and pointing to your left. The sun is to the left.
      The right hand side (as you look at it) of both aircraft is in shadow. The right hand aircraft will give a backlit image which would be rejected but the left hand aircraft, although it is technically backlit may well be getting the reflection of the lit side of the right hand aircraft making it an acceptable shot. For such shots to work they generally need to have a strong reflected light putting lots of interest into the reflection.
      Hi there Brain

I know this is nothing to do with the subject at hand, but I just want to compliment you for your detailed explanation, not just here but many other places in the forum. I also have a better understanding of backlit now, thank you

Frikkie

Comment

Hi Ben,
        So you want JP to go "over the backlit rejection" right ?
        Why would we go over one of the most basic rule of photography ? When I learned about photography I was like 12 and we were using "real" cameras and every bad picture had to be paid... So you had no choice but to respect those very simple rules like backlit, framing, exposure and so on...
        Now today I see every day new photographers/spotters who just seem to have no idea about those simple rules, not saying it's your case.
        The digital cameras give you the chance to practice over and over and for free... So take the time to read the camera manual, read our upload guideline completly, use the forum for advices and you'll see that you'll improve very quickly.
        The level we request for pics on JP is very reachable so there's no reason for us to make it even more easy.
        Now about your rejected pic. it's totally backlit so you can keep it for your personnal collection. Remember that you're supposed to take pics for your own pleasure, not for JP. I have about 3300 pics here but my personnal collection is more than 10000 pics, so only about 1/3 of them are uploaded. Try to be more selective for JP and remember you can also make your own website to show all your work.
        Remember also that there's nothing more common than an EZY 319 so the least we can ask is to respect the basic rules for such subject. Show me a rare Tupolev new on the internet and for sure we'll be more than happy to have it on JP even if it's borderline backlit...
        About the example you're showing, I know you didn't want to get rude but please realise that it's extremly rude from you to show other's photographer work saying it should have been rejected...
        And well first example is NOT backlit and 2nd is borderline but it was accepted because it was the screener's decision at that moment. Do you have access to the rejections of other photographers ? We do and let me tell you that there are thousands of pics rejected for backlit like yours, nothing wrong there.

Ben, we hope to see more pics from you in the future but please with a queue at over 7000, try to be a bit more selective, get the sun behind you (ALWAYS), and you'll see your acceptance ratio grow...

Best regards
        Alex

EDIT : didn't see Brian's answer... which is again way better than mine... Yes he rocks that's one of the reason we have him the other reason being the beers he offers us to keep him in the crew
        Last edited by Alex - Spot-This !; 2009-05-25, 14:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Omar Alex Saffe View Post
          Hi Ben,
          You crew living in Switzerland have a way with words i.e.they are not minced I do agree with your message Alex.

EDIT : didn't see Brian's answer... which is again way better than mine... Yes he rocks that's one of the reason we have him the other reason being the beers he offers us to keep him in the crew
          Is this true Brian

Comment

A good rule of a thumb is, that when the tailfin casts a shadow on the fuselage, then the shot is backlit. The first Ryaniar has no such shadow on the tail ,the easyjet does.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
              Is this true Brian
              While a good idea .... unfortunately it didn't become reality.
              Last edited by LX-A343; 2009-05-26, 06:23.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Hi Ben,
                Why would we go over one of the most basic rule of photography ? When I learned about photography I was like 12 and we were using "real" cameras and every bad picture had to be paid... So you had no choice but to respect those very simple rules like backlit, framing, exposure and so on...
                Now today I see every day new photographers/spotters who just seem to have no idea about those simple rules, not saying it's your case.
                The digital cameras give you the chance to practice over and over and for free... So take the time to read the camera manual, read our upload guideline completly, use the forum for advices and you'll see that you'll improve very quickly.
                The level we request for pics on JP is very reachable so there's no reason for us to make it even more easy.
                It isn't very often I disagree with the screeners here but that's an incredibly unfair and offhand response, Alex. It's totally out of order for you to assume that because you've learned things a certain way that everyone else should be expected to do the same. That really isn't how it works and I'm extremely disappointed you seem to think it is. You suggest the thread starter use the forum properly; from what I can see that's exactly what he is doing and this is the response he gets from someone who really should know better.

Paul
                Last edited by PMN; 2009-05-26, 00:05.
                Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

...the other reason being the beers he offers us to keep him in the crew
                  Me ?....

Give away alcohol !.......

Not guilty your honour.

Comment

Why am I not surprised, Brian?
                    Why am I not surprised, Brian?

Comment

Now don't YOU bloody start.

It's bad enough having Gerardo around !!

Comment

Paul,
                        Never did I say that other have to learn the way I did, not at all. I was just trying to explain that there are some basic rules that you had no choice but to follow when you had to pay for every missed shot and that today you get the chance to practice for free so... do it.
                        Maybe I didn't choose the exact right words but I stand with what I said, we are not going to change such a basic rule.

Regards
                        Alex

PS : we all love you Brian
                        PS : we all love you Brian
                        Last edited by Alex - Spot-This !; 2009-05-26, 06:14.

Comment

we are not going to change such a basic rule.
                          I have never suggested you should, Alex. Not here or in any other thread. My problem was with your choice of words, not the points you were actually making.

Anyway, I have made my point so I'll shut up now.

Paul
                          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

No need to shut up Paul.
                            I maybe didn't choose the right word, but there's a reason why I chose those, we'll talk on MSN later.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              Now don't YOU bloody start.

It's bad enough having Gerardo around !!
                              Wot???
                              Wot???

My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                              X