Editing RAW (.nef)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing RAW (.nef)

I have a question concerning RAW format. I have been shooting in RAW for a little while with my Nikon D40X and it works great. Photoshop CS3 is a great tool for editing those pictures. Now, with a D5000 Photoshop will not accept the .nef files. I can open them in Preview or iPhoto and convert them to a Photoshop format (.jpg is not an available option) but then in Photoshop, I can not save as .jpg after editing them. What can I do to fix this problem? Convert them to TIFF? Thanks in advance.
    Will C.

Originally posted by Will_Power View Post
    I can not save as .jpg after editing them. What can I do to fix this problem? Convert them to TIFF?
    The only thing I can think if you can't save as a JPEG is that the image is being opened in Photoshop in 16 bit. Go to Image-Mode and see what it's set to. It needs to be set to 8 bit for you to save as a JPEG.

Hope that's the problem.

Paul
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Will_Power View Post
      I have a question concerning RAW format. I have been shooting in RAW for a little while with my Nikon D40X and it works great. Photoshop CS3 is a great tool for editing those pictures. Now, with a D5000 Photoshop will not accept the .nef files. I can open them in Preview or iPhoto and convert them to a Photoshop format (.jpg is not an available option) but then in Photoshop, I can not save as .jpg after editing them. What can I do to fix this problem? Convert them to TIFF? Thanks in advance.
      Sometimes older versions of photoshop are not compatible with newer RAW images so I'd advise an upgrade to CS4.
      Or as Paul says convert to JPEG if you can't manage an upgrade.
      Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by taylor.ryan View Post
        Sometimes older versions of photoshop are not compatible with newer RAW images so I'd advise an upgrade to CS4.
        Or as Paul says convert to JPEG if you can't manage an upgrade.
        I didn't quite mean convert to JPEG instead of editing the RAW. The options to save are slightly different according to the bit depth you're working in, so if Photoshop is set to 32 or 16 bit, you won't be able to save your image as a JPEG. When you hit Save the JPEG option simply isn't there, so you have to change it to 8 bit to get the JPEG option.

As Ryan rightly says, it could also be that your version of CS3 doesn't have the D5000 RAW plugin. If you are running in 8 bit mode (so that isn't the problem), try running an update on Photoshop. Hopefully that should update the RAW plugins and the D5000 should be in there.

Paul
        Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

A viable option could be to use TIFF, JPG or DNG as interim format and then open these in Photoshop. As Paul mentioned, if you can't save a file you edited in photoshop, it has alsmost sure to do with the file not beeing 8bit format.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I checked the Adobe website and there is a RAW format update for CS4 but not CS3 which includes the D5000. I guess I will have to upgrade to CS4. But for now, I will switch the images to 8 bit to save as a .jpg.
            Will C.

Comment

I don't understand your last reply 100%, but before you jump to wrong conclusions, here is what I did when I had the same problem with CS2 back then:
              - download Adobe DNG converter
              - convert all RAW's to DNG (don't remember if a batch conversion is possible)
              - open the DNG in Photoshop
              - And from now on it's business as ususal: edit your file
              - as last step of your postprocessing, convert to 8bit and save as JPG

Instead of converting to DNG, you can of course use the Nikon software to convert directly to 16 bit TIFF, the rest remains the same.

That you you preserve the 16bit photo informations until the very end.
              My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                I don't understand your last reply 100%, but before you jump to wrong conclusions, here is what I did when I had the same problem with CS2 back then:
                - download Adobe DNG converter
                - convert all RAW's to DNG (don't remember if a batch conversion is possible)
                - open the DNG in Photoshop
                - And from now on it's business as ususal: edit your file
                - as last step of your postprocessing, convert to 8bit and save as JPG

Instead of converting to DNG, you can of course use the Nikon software to convert directly to 16 bit TIFF, the rest remains the same.

That you you preserve the 16bit photo informations until the very end.
                I will try that. Right now, I had been looking at them in Preview and saving them as a photoshop format. Then in photoshop, I would edit them and change to 8 bit to save them as a JPG. Using that process, I could not use the full set of RAW editing tools. Your process sounds like the way to go... Until I decide to fork out the cash for CS4.
                Will C.

Comment

Working...
                X