Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Upload of PK-AXH Cockpit Rejected

Hello,

Today I received a notification from the screening team that my upload is rejected due to bad motive:

I would probably assume that the captain's face is cut off at the left side of the frame and so is the F/O's. Another possiblity that I see is the Lion Air cart in the background may show a different motive or distract the viewer.

I need some idea as to how to fix this problem... I am planning on to crop the sides of the frame so the crew's faces are not shown at all. Would this work?

Thank you in advance,
    Aulia Harun

IMO, the cart isn't distracting at all. I didn't really notice it until I read what you had written here.
    As for the faces, first off, yeah, the half cut off faces are just a bit awkward. Second, as far as I know, if anyone's face is clearly recognizable and without their permission, it will usually get rejected.
    I think a cropped shot of the panel/windscreen would work for this. Just try it out and see what happens, I guess. I'm not real sure how it would work out with the captain's hat being moved around, but that's just my opinion on it.
    Screener(s) will probably give you some better advice.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotgolfer View Post
      ... if anyone's face is clearly recognizable and without their permission, it will usually get rejected..
      That is correct. Too much face in this case. Cart is no problem.

Roel.

Comment

Unfortunatly, if you re-crop and take out the pilots face, you are still left with a big hat and half the cockpit dash missing...

Comment

Originally posted by Eadster View Post
          Unfortunatly, if you re-crop and take out the pilots face, you are still left with a big hat and half the cockpit dash missing...
          I have to agree. If you crop in any more there isn't really going to be anything useful left.

That aside, there's something in this shot which I love to see and something people taking cockpit shots so rarely get, and that's a good balance between exposing the details in the cockpit and whatever's beyond the windows. The natural lighting here helped but still, more often than not we see white, overexposed and horrible looking windows which upsets the entire balance of the shot for me, but this is spot on in terms of exposure. Nice work in that respect!

Paul
          Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Ok Aulia my opinion only here.I read your thread intro first but not the body of the message until later.Then clicked on the reject link and the first thing I noticed was the Captains half face..far to distracting to what in my opinion is a very nice photo that looks well exposed.As you suggeseted your good self a different crop might be required and may do the trick
            Take care David

Comment

Thanks everyone for the ideas.
              Paul - Kudos to my Nikon D90's metering system It helped me get that optimal exposure.

I think I will crop the sides and stop cropping at both of the A320's master caution button. I think this will center the photo and make the Captain's panel and F/O's panel equal. I can't do anything about the hat or the F/O's elbow. Is it acceptable if the elbow is shown in the pic. From what you guys wrote, it seems that the restriction is only to their faces, so I assume the elbow of the F/O would be fine.

Thank you again for the help, I am still considered new to JetPhotos.net... just had my first ever accepted photo yesterday (first ever flight deck shot of PK-AXH in the db):

The overhead panel of PK-AXH.. PK-AXH. Airbus A320-216. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

It was taken just moments before the rejected cockpit photo. (I should've increased the f-number to allow more detail of the overhead panel)...
              Last edited by boeing773er; 2009-08-15, 04:31. Reason: typing mistakes

Comment

Originally posted by boeing773er View Post
                The overhead panel of PK-AXH.. PK-AXH. Airbus A320-216. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

It was taken just moments before the rejected cockpit photo. (I should've increased the f-number to allow more detail of the overhead panel)...
                Congratulations on your first photo for j.net. Many more to come hopefully.

About that picture. You might even consider getting the exposure right on the windows, so the outside world will be clear, then use the flash on your D90 but underexpose the flash by 2 stops. This way you get everything correctly exposed and in focus.

If the flash overexposes something, turn the camera upside down or use a credit card to deflect the light or use a white plastic coffee cup to soften the light. (or use a seperate flash )

Roel.

Comment

I would like to thank all of you guys for your individual inputs and advice. I managed to do some recropping and I am glad the re-edit allowed the photo to make it to the db as the first ever instrument panel shot of an Indonesia AirAsia aircraft!

My first ever flight deck visit. Special thanks to the AirAsia captain for allowing me in for a brief chat (and for this photo).. PK-AXH. Airbus A320-216. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Working...
                  X