Backlit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backlit??

Could anyone help me to explain why this photo has a backlit problem?? Thank you very much

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2643319

Quite simply, the sky behind the aircraft is much brighter than the aircraft itself (the aircraft is of course darker than the sky anyway, but I mean this more in a sense that there doesn't appear to be much direct light hitting the fuselage, meaning the light source is somewhere other than behind you where it should ideally be). The contrast is also poor; it looks like quite a bit of fill light has been added which gives a somewhat unnatural appearance, and parts like the leading edge of the wing/slats are blown out by the reflections. It's a tad unlevel and bordering on being a little oversharpened as well.

There's also quite a dramatic halo around the aircraft which is often caused by use of the horrendous Shadow/Highlight tool. Perhaps it would look better with slightly more subtle processing?

Paul
    Last edited by PMN; 2009-08-28, 17:35.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Although the plane may be backlit (I am not convinced), I think it is a good picture.

Sometimes backlit pics look horrible, but this one is not bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
        Although the plane may be backlit (I am not convinced), I think it is a good picture.

Sometimes backlit pics look horrible, but this one is not bad at all.
        I think with slightly different processing it can be a very nice photo, although I'm just not sure it will ever be suitable for JP. No doubting it can be a nice photo with a little work, though.

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

I beg to differ. The background is overexposed and lacks contrast, the aircraft is underexposed and lacks contrast as well. Backlight can add a lot to a photo, here unfortunately it's not the case.
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. Probably my photoshop skill is the problem. I am frustrated at the moment as most of my shots were rejected due to my poor photoshop skill...

This one has just been rejected due to overexposed or overprocessed. Could anyone make some comments so I can learn from you. Thank you.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2645829

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2645781

Comment

The first image is quite hot around the nose, but this is probably fixable with some careful and subtle use of the Burn tool.

In the second, there's quite a pronounced halo around the aircraft that becomes very visible when you equalise. You can also see the amount of noise that's in this shot.

A common cause of the halo is use of the Shadows/Highlights tool in Photoshop, which generally gives quite nasty looking results. If you shoot JPEG, try making all adjustments to brightness and contrast using only Levels. You shouldn't get this problem then.

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

Curves tool is the best for adjusting contrast differences but if you do use the shadow/highlight tool, and I would only use it on a shot where the aircraft is surrounded by sky, may I recommend that you first create a background layer.

(Tip No.1. If you are a Nikon user don't use Nikon D Lighting. It produces the most horrible haloes)

Process the aircraft using shadow/highlight VERY sparingly as it is very easy to introduce grain in the shadow areas. i find that if I have to use more than 10 units of either shadow and/or highlight then I'll be better off using the curves tool.
                Adjust contrast and sharpening and then delete the sky. This will delete any haloes that have been created and also delete any grain in the sky. You will now be left with a processed aircraft and the original, unprocessed sky.
                Flatten the image to finish off and save at the highest resolution. (12 in Photoshop)

As I say, the curves tool, while taking a little time to learn the use of, is the better tool to use but shadow/highlight can be successfully used when used properly and SPARINGLY.
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thank you all for your comments.

Actually I did not use shadow and hightlight tools as I don;t know what they are. Please don't laugh at me. I am just following mechanically the instructions for editing photos in jidd website (the second version for raw files). I am am very worried about my skill and rejection rate at the moment.

WHat did I do wrong for photo editing. Basically, I do following steps:
                  1. Check and clean the dust spot in the photo
                  2. Adjust levering
                  3. Adjust Sartuation
                  4. Lighten the dark areas by doing following click the chanel, hold Control while click the RGB chanel to select the dark part, then select inversion... then adjust the curves to lighten the dark areas of the photo.

I am wondering about this step as it seems to be the highlight/ shadow tool as you mentioned. Please don't laugh at me, as I follow mechanically the instruction in jidd website.

5. Adjust constrast
                  6. Resize
                  7. Sharpen

Could you please suggest me why i may do wrong in the photo editing sequence?? I would appreciate very much for your help.

I am very much encouraged by your comments and suggestion as I obverse that many of you here are very senior members and posses good experiences in aviation photography. Thank you very much.
                  Last edited by gearphoto; 2009-09-13, 15:10.

Comment

Working...
                  X