Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice?

Hi There,

Please move this if it is out of place here, I was just looking for a few tips or words of advice from all of you brilliant photographers! This was a recent trip I took to Sydney Airport (on the 6th) to pick up our friends who flew in later. Mum however let me go earlier to see my favourite plane fly in (we left at 4 in the morning..). I am only young and a sort of self taught photographer, however I really love aviation - commercial airlines and I am keen to learn. I have a soft spot for the British Airways jumbo .
    Here are a couple I took -

These are the rest : http://www.flickr.com/photos/gbnle/s...7621911984005/
    They are from the 7th September (the morning ones!)

I can easily conclude that they are 'fuzzy' from the lack of light in the early morning, but tips on positioning, location, angles, clarity etc would be much appreciated! I have a Sony Alpha A350 camera and used the 300mm lens. I also understand that you guys don't like shooting toward the sun. I quite liked the silhouette effect yet I am open to comments!!

Thank you for looking!
    G-BNLE
    Last edited by G-BNLE; 2009-09-11, 23:52. Reason: Links broken

I think these are a little better.

I will most likely use the large shots of G-BNLJ for my major work.

I will draw them in pencil, monochromatic on 250gsm. But for now, I have a nice new desktop.

Comment

You, young sir ( I'm assuming you're male ) have a talent for photography that is rarely seen in a newcomer. This second shot in your first post is a stunning shot....

As far as JetPhotos.net is concerned, well.....

Silhouette shots are accepted here and with stunning backgrounds very often get shot of the day, shot of the week and sometimes screeners choice. To work, they need to be sharp and pure silhouette against an interesting background. The aircraft should not be too far away although there always the occasional exception to the rule. With such shots you are walking the outer boundary of acceptability but when such a shot does get accepted it is always a very satisfying shot.

For the more conventional shot we are looking for something like these...

Don't cut off landing gears and engines like this though....

Probably the best advice is look through the shots in the database, especially those that appear on the homepage. Also, read the upload guidelines and rules via this link http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=44854 found in the upload page.

Good luck. The forums are here to help you and I'm getting rather excited at the prospect of screening some of your work.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        You, young sir ( I'm assuming you're male ) have a talent for photography that is rarely seen in a newcomer.
        Probably the best advice is look through the shots in the database, especially those that appear on the homepage. Also, read the upload guidelines and rules via this link http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=44854 found in the upload page.
        Good luck. The forums are here to help you and I'm getting rather excited at the prospect of screening some of your work.
        Nope, I am a litte lady; but I must thank you very much for you reply!
        The early morning shots are effective but I can see how the jetphotos idea is, as you said, more of the aircraft than the context.

I thought the third and fourth shots down (of G-BNLJ) were perhaps the better ones as I did not cut off the gear or engine, and I find that angle to be the best on the jumbo.The black and white ones are merely for my own drawing purposes as my zoom is not good enough to get a clear shot (I get up to 300mm) however I think they would look nice as a set.

I am aiming to use these for my major work, I really enjoy scanning the databases on here for other shots of the BA 747s. I am a little worried about the clarity of my shots, plus I need a bit more practice with composition. However you have given me a real confidence boost, I can really look forward to trying my luck again soon.

All the best,
        Georgie [G-BNLE]

Comment

Have to agree with my fellow crew mate, you do have an eye for photography. I think, you just found your hobby

Speaking as JPnet screener, I'd suggest you work on photos like this:

But don't let a website limit your photography! Take other photos and find another way to publish them.

Regarding composition, I wouldn't be too worried. Judging by the few photos here, I'd say you have a good eye for that, as mentioned above. For JPnet, try to not cut off through engines or cout just small bits of wings or stabs away.

Cheerio
          Gerardo
          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by G-BNLE View Post
            I couldn't agree more with the advice the other guys have given but I have to say, speaking for a moment as a non-aviation photographer and not as a screener, this image is nothing short of beautiful. The composition is thoughtful and tasteful, the colours bright and vivid, and most importantly, you've captured and conveyed the mood of the scene you experienced perfectly, and there are a tremendous number of 'experienced' photographers out there who can't even come close to doing that because it takes much more than technical ability. You truely do have a talent and I'd be very, very proud to have taken this shot. Beautiful work!

Paul
            Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Much appreciated, thank you. I am really looking forward to improving my shots, particulary with the 747s - when I get the oppurtunity of course! (I am not very close to the airport).

I am assuming the clarity of those shots (perhaps not the early morning ones, due to the low light) is sufficient? I think the shot of VH-OJB on takeoff is 'out of my range', and perhaps not as sharp? Compared to the taxying shot of G-BNLJ.

Comment

The small images that you post are too small to assess for sharpness etc. We really need a minimum 1000 px wide to do that.
                Also...a reminder that we work within specified crop size limits. This link will help.... http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=40085

What processing software do you use ? All digital images require some sort of postprocessing as it is very rare to get a useable image for web upload straight out of the camera.
                Commonly used photo processing software used here is Adobe Photoshop CS2, CS3 and CS4 with the older Photoshop Elements and even older Photoshop 7 being popular as well. CS3 and CS4 are expensive as properly purchased items. I paid ŁUK500+ for CS3 a year ago. PS Elements is cheaper and has the required tools to produce perfectly acceptable images for web use and is available for around US$ 80.
                CS3 and CS4 can be had online for around US$350 but be careful before buying and make sure that you are getting a full version. There are some scam merchants out there. Personally, I would only ever go for a deal where I am getting the full packaged product on CD ROM. I would not purchase a downloadable version other than as a limited time trial. As a guide, the official Adobe price for CS4 is in excess of US$1,200. ( OUCH !!! )

I say that I use CS3...but have to admit that I barely scratch the surface of what this very powerful image processing tool can do. A lot of the features of CS2/3/4, if used for JP uploads would result in a "Manipulation" rejection. However...you seem to have an interest far beyond simply uploading some pictures to an aviation image database so Photoshop CS3 or CS4 may well be very suited to your needs in the long run.

Tell your mum that there are some experienced photographers here who think you're worth the investment !! That should make us about as popular as a poo in a swimmimg pool !!!
                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

That should make us about as popular as a poo in a swimmimg pool !!!
                  ... and in trying to mitigate that, check if you are eligible for an Educational Edition / License.

In the UK, and I believe the USA, most software that feeds in to an educational discipline is available at a greatly reduced price if you are in education - either as a Tutor or a Student.

Very often the package differs only so far as the license is concerned although you will have to check out Adobe et al yourself on that score as well as checking the other terms and conditions which, if satisfied, you will probably have to provide evidence for.

Good hunting!

Paul
                  Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-10-26, 16:43.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Absolutely awesome silhouettes you have there. As far as photography goes, some people have the eye to get breathtaking shots and you have that in you (sadly i dont ).

Dont limit yourself to just aviation shots. I am sure you will do great at any subject.

regards,
                    Saurabh

Comment

The small images that you post are too small to assess for sharpness etc. We really need a minimum 1000 px wide to do that.
                      What processing software do you use ? All digital images require some sort of postprocessing as it is very rare to get a useable image for web upload straight out of the camera.
                      The larger images if anyone wants a peek can be seen in my Flickr album;
                      Explore G-BNLE’s 118 photos on Flickr!

I use a program called 'Microsoft Digital Image Pro', which I have accustomed myself to. I process all my photos through this program and fiddle with them - sometimes I will add effects, make banner/posters and create cards etc with them. I find it a great program, however I have never tried any type of Photoshop and hear wonderful things about it.
                      Thank you for the link to the cropping article as well!

And thank you for the lovely comments everyone, very much appreciated.
                      Whilst it is true, I do like taking photos of other things, there are no prizes for guessing what I really aim to get that perfect shot of.

Comment

You are a natural talent at photography. Well done and congratulations on such wonderful shots. I know all these have been said by many experienced and wonderful photographers above, but having seen the images - I felt compelled to congratulate you.

Well done and I look forward to many (aviation and non-aviation) photos from you.

CheersAziz

Comment

Working...
                        X