vignetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vignetting

I took some photos with some rather noticeable vignetting recently. What should I do with them? Just upload them as they are? Clone it out (I'm guessing that would count as digital manipulation though?)

Or just don't upload them?

I couldn't find vignetting as a rejection reason in the rejection examples thread, does that mean you don't care about it?

Hi Ben,

Can you maybe post an example so we can see how bad it is? Vignetting is a technical flaw really so 'could' be a reason to reject if it's visible. Can we have a look?

Paul
    Last edited by PMN; 2009-12-24, 13:53.
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

hey Paul

sure

Comment

Hmm... That's very noticeable. What camera and lens are you using? It's very rare to get such vignetting unless you're using a full frame camera!

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

a D90 with a 18-200mm zoom lens @ 112mm, WITHOUT a lens hood.

I've rarely even noticed vignetting before, so it's definately unusual for it to be this noticeable.

I'm guessing cloning it out is a big no-no?

Comment

Originally posted by biggerben View Post
            I'm guessing cloning it out is a big no-no?
            Yes, definitely a big no-no. I don't really know what to suggest to be honest, it really isn't a problem that occurs much on APS-C/DX format sensors. Very odd! It would be interesting to see if anyone else has had the same problem. Maybe you might have to just move to a 70-300 or similar for shooting aviation?

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
              Maybe you might have to just move to a 70-300 or similar for shooting aviation?
              Guess what I'm getting for Christmas?

Comment

I have seen this happen when shooting in low light. (BTW, I use a canon 40D with 100-400).

regards,
                Saurabh

Comment

I see that you shoot with a Nikon. Are you using the Nikon Camera RAW convertor ? That piece of software has the ability to correct vignetting. You'll find it in the lens corrections element ( see screenshot )

Move the "Amount" slider to the right to lighten the corners.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

I use linux, so I don't use their software and shoot in JPG. Yeah, it's obv not quite as good, but I'm sure it's possible to get a couple of photos in the database that way

Comment

I haven't had vignetting problems since I switched to DSLR with 1.6x crop. But I sure will have them again, when moving to Full Frame again.

Easiest solution: shoot with f8
                      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I never have vignetting on my DSLR (EOS 400D), only on ALL my compact cameras.

Comment

Working...
                        X