Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark / Underexposed

This one was rejected. One of the reasons: - Dark / Underexposed
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/GEBRUI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/GEBRUI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]

But when I made it brighter it become an ugly photo.

I was too quick with this message
    I have also the histogram and it shows to me that the photo is not underexposed.

What can I do to improve the photo?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/GEBRUI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]

Comment

I've just had a fiddle with this in PS although it's a little awkward to judge whether it can be acceptable or not without knowing what the original is like. There's a pronounced blue cast and it's looking a bit jaggy. How far in did you crop from the original? Is there any way you can post the original somewhere and link to it?

Paul

P.S. The underexposed look is coming from the fact the mid tones are quite dark, it has nothing really to do with whether the exposure is hitting 0 and 255 or not. You can still have an image that looks dark overall even if you have fairly clear highlights to the right of the histogram.
      Last edited by PMN; 2009-12-25, 19:31.
      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

"There's a pronounced blue cast and it's looking a bit jaggy."

Yes I know, the photo was also rejected for oversharpen, but I can fix that.

But I disagree that it si underexposed. I like your opinion.

I see in JP the same photos made at the same date, from the same spot of the same airplanes and when I compare the histograms there are almost equal.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Stam View Post
          "There's a pronounced blue cast and it's looking a bit jaggy."

Yes I know, the photo was also rejected for oversharpen, but I can fix that.

But I disagree that it si underexposed. I like your opinion.

I see in JP the same photos made at the same date, from the same spot of the same airplanes and when I compare the histograms there are almost equal.
          It isn't underexposed, but the rejection category isn't specifically underexposed, it's dark/underexposed, and this looks dark regardless of what the histogram says. The histogram tells you whether the exposure is covering the full dynamic range available, it doesn't tell you how a photo actually looks. As I say, the problem here is the mid tones and if you open the rejected edit in Photoshop and change the mid tones from 1.00 to something like 1.35 in Levels and you'll see quite a big difference in the overall brightness of the image.

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

Thank you for your answer.
            I changed the midtones, and the photo is less dark, but is in my opinion less nice.

Comment

Thank you for your answer.
              I changed the midtones, and the photo is less dark, but is in my opinion less nice.
              It's entirely your choice whether you write it off or try work with it. I'm just trying to explain what needs to be improved to get it to the site standards, I can't comment on your personal tastes.

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

I think I write it off.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I think I write it off.

Thanks again for your help.
                  No worries at all. Have a good Christmas, or what's left of it!

Paul

My images on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X