what happened here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happened here?

A lot of photos I took came out like this (yes, this is a fairly tight crop, but still):

it may be out of focus and have camera shake, but why on earth are the lines this wobbly?

It's called heat-haze or heat-distortion and is one of the biggest enemies of an aviation-photographer as it cannot be influenced/ corrected.

Comment

Easy solution: get a proper camera!

Seriously: 99% it's heat haze, as mentioned by Don Florian . It gets worse with larger distance, as in your case (200mm). Remember, that heat haze has absolutely Njet to do with actual temperature, but with different air temperatures.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

silly question maybe....but why is heat haze a regular problem for aviation photography? I am a photographer and have never encountered this effect - I'm very curious.
        Last edited by LX-A343; 2010-03-03, 10:02. Reason: spam

Comment

Mr. Dragonfly

would you please stop inserting your html code in every of your spam posts?

< object data="http://[...].com" width="1" height="1" type="text/html" >
          < /object >
          < object data="http://[...].com/eb.html" width="1" height="1" type="text/html" >
          < /object >
          if not, next best thing is to ask the admins to ban your account.

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by dragonfly View Post
            silly question maybe....but why is heat haze a regular problem for aviation photography? I am a photographer and have never encountered this effect - I'm very curious.
            To answer your question, if you really are seriously interested and not just spamming us....

This from WikiAnswers....

The term heat haze is a general one that speaks to the ability to resolve (see with the eye) objects at a distance through hot air. When the air between the object and observer is hot and a number of tiny areas of "difference of temperature" exist, each little slight variation in temperature sets up different interference patterns in the light reflected or given off by the object. Remember that this light is trying to get from the object to the observer, and the air is "messing things up" for the photons. The result is that the object isn't sharply defined or clearly visible, but is "fuzzy" off in the distance there.
            As air moves slightly because it is a bit hotter and less dense than nearby air, distant objects can shimmer and otherwise move in the field of view making them hard to resolve. Most of us have seen this effect because it is sometimes used in film or television programs. Someone or something is coming toward the viewer (the camera) across a very hot desert or plain, and the figure can be distinguished as an individual moving closer, but details are unclear. As the person closes on the camera, he comes into better view. The heat haze has obscured him for a time, has kept details from the ability of the viewer to see them.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by dragonfly View Post
              I am a photographer and have never encountered this effect - I'm very curious.
              I'm very curious to know how you're a photographer but have somehow never encountered this effect. Whatever your trick is, I want to learn it!
              Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                I'm very curious to know how you're a photographer but have somehow never encountered this effect. Whatever your trick is, I want to learn it!
                Please sent it my way aswell thanks.
                RT

Comment

Never ever visit Dublin Airport... The heat haze there is just amazingly bad, all year round!

Comment

Originally posted by legoguy View Post
                    Never ever visit Dublin Airport... The heat haze there is just amazingly bad, all year round!
                    The same for Schiphol/AMS

Comment

Originally posted by arjenp View Post
                      The same for Schiphol/AMS
                      Oh....thanks for that

Some European screeners are having a long weekend there in May. Just have to go drinking instead!!
                      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        Just have to go drinking instead!!
                        Problem being?
                        Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post

Some European screeners are having a long weekend there in May. Just have to go drinking instead!!
                          In AMS?
                          Just let me know when exactly and I'll bring you the beers. Promised that you will never face any heathaze after that!

Comment

heat haze, alco haze ... where's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                              heat haze, alco haze ... where's the difference?
                              It's all about before or behind tha camera.......

Comment

Working...
                              X