centering close-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centering close-ups

I took some close ups of aircraft today. Before I postprocess all of them and get 20 rejects for ĞAircraft too high in frameğ or something please tell me if this one is OK

Also: What is the standard way of centering such shots? Equal amount of sky on top and bottom? Center of gravity of the fuselage as close to the middle of the frame as possible?

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Looks OK!

BTW, my fellow ZRH spotter colleague .... please ask for advice BEFORE placing the photos in the queue
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
      Looks OK!

BTW, my fellow ZRH spotter colleague .... please ask for advice BEFORE placing the photos in the queue
      Thanks Gerardo, and it will not happen again!

But could you (or someone else) answer my second question? That was actually the main reason I made this post, as some of my other pics are not going to be this trivial to center!

Many thanks, Ben

Comment

I'm not a fan of such centering rules. If any, the "center of gravity of the aircraft (not just the fuselage!) in the center" is more or less the way I go.

But the final quality check is to do one step back and look at the photo again. If it looks right, I'll upload it.

Comment

Ben,
          Centering photos can and does create plenty of controversy, however I learnt by trying things and hoping for the best.
          But a few rules to follow
          [photoid=6753721]
          The photo was taken of around 60 degrees to the aircraft and as the taxiway is stupidly short distances from the mound, and I was using my 70-300 this was about as good at gets.
          For these style of shots try and include the whole if your looking at the aircraft from about 2/3 of the way down.

However that said if you want an extreme close up centering is different again. In this photo the top of fuselage is equidistant from the base of the tyre. The snout of the aircraft should also be around about the distance from the edge of the frame as the tyre base/ fuselage.
          [photoid=6746867]

For extreme close up's its very difficult to suggest how to center them however I will try.
          For close ups of the tail the tip of the tail/APU will most likely by the point closest to the edge and that distance should be enough to either include the far side stab bar or cut it cleanly out like in this example.
          [photoid=6746635]
          [photoid=6695903]
          The winglet was interesting to center and I have included just to prove in situations likes this, there will probably be no clear cut right or wrong, just as Gerado says take a step back and judge if it looks and feels right.

For nose crops I've found the best thing is for the distance from the top of the aircraft to top of frame bottom of aircraft to bottom of frame and the snout to edge should all be about the same.
          [photoid=6655399]

The best advice here is go with what feels right for you, whilst considering how to crop the aircraft crop what you are trying to show, if its a nose shot show that, if it's two thirds or half of an aircraft, show it all, don't clutter the photo by including extra bits, or that can lead to a rejection.

Hope that helps.
          Ryan

Comment

Thanks a lot, Ryan, I'll try to follow your advice!

And awesome winglet shot, btw

Out of curiosity: why such a Ryanair fan? I flew with them twice, both times basel - stockholm and had no complaints, except that they have pulled out of basel

Comment

If you compare your Edelweiss shot with Ryan's last side-on nose shot.

Note that your image does not show any part of an engine whereas Ryan's shows part of an engine.

Now, visualise Ryan's shot without the engine....it immediately seems to be too high in the frame with dead space sky below.

Your shot could be considered to be a bit high. Personally I would have brought the fuselage down a bit until the tyre was just above the bottom edge so as to remove some of the dead space sky from the bottom of the image. Ryan's shot has the dead space issue taken care of with the engine in view.

Talking of part engines in view...care must be taken to avoid a cut off rejection. Too much engine ( and especially if the main gear comes into view as well ) and a screener might think "Well, he could just as easily have included the whole aircraft". Unfortunately we have some photogs who think that a full side on AND a front end close up from essentially the same angle and same landing, takeoff or taxiing sequence of shots constitute different images but they then fall foul of the "similar" rejection.

If you intend to upload two shots of the same aircraft from the same sequence (one full side on and one close up ) then ask yourself "Do these images show a substantially different amount of detail at a substantially different angle. Do they show the viewer something different ?" If they don't then you are likely to get a similar rejection.

A quick sketch to illustrate what I mean....

If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Thank you Rtyrpics for the pic with the winglet, I always wanted to upload one like that but never knew if it would get accepted.

Brian, great explanation but if you don't mind, can you tell me if it's considered similar the picture of the plane with the picture of it's tail? Of course made in one sequence. Thank you, Andrei.

Comment

Brian, are those the upcoming next gen 737 and 320 series designs you've stolen? If so I think the manufacturers are onto a winner!!!!

Comment

It's the Airboinaer 1000 series. It was supposed to be hush hush secret but you've gone and let the cat out of the bag !!

It will seat 1000 pax in a stretcher layout with passengers lying flat but stacked 10 high. The idea is that passengers will take their seats in a series of pallets outside the aircraft and then be loaded into the aircraft, much the same as freight pallets are today.
                    Airboinaer figured that legroom was abysmal in economy class so they came up with this idea to give everyone a lie flat bed while retaining economy loading capability. The aircraft is aimed at the transatlantic routes from UK to Florida specifically targetting Disney World travellers.
                    Extra passenger space has been made by not needing toilets or galleys now that everyone is effectively trapped in their seat, albeit laying down.

Ryanair and easyJet are reputed to be the first customers and are said to be considering offering urinary catheter bag placement and intravenous feeds for a small extra fee. These will be fitted prior to taking ones place in the pallet.

Emergency egress has been addressed by having blow out sides and roof to the aircraft, with pallets being ejected under ballistic recovery parachutes. Window pallets will go out of the side and centre blocks will go out through the roof.
                    Should ejection be required in an emergency Ryanair and easyJet are further reputed to be making a compulsory charge for this based on the fact that it will be much more exciting than any Disney ride !
                    Last edited by brianw999; 2010-03-13, 16:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Mengelaus View Post
                      ....Brian, great explanation but if you don't mind, can you tell me if it's considered similar the picture of the plane with the picture of it's tail? Of course made in one sequence. Thank you, Andrei.
                      We require a minimum 45 degree angle difference of view to avoid a similar rejection. This can be difficult with shots from the same sequence. Just recently I have been experimenting with one camera on a tripod fitted with a 120-400 for tightly cropped front end shots early in the approach and changing to a hand held 70-300 for a side on or slightly tail on shot at a much different angle.

Just for information...Anet will reject any second shot of an aircraft from the same sequence as similar. According to them these two are similar !!

[photoid=6596051]
                      [photoid=6596031]
                      Last edited by brianw999; 2010-03-13, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        It's the Airboinaer 1000 series. It was supposed to be hush hush secret but you've gone and let the cat out of the bag !!

It will seat 1000 pax in a stretcher layout with passengers lying flat but stacked 10 high. The idea is that passengers will take their seats in a series of pallets outside the aircraft and then be loaded into the aircraft, much the same as freight pallets are today.
                        Airboinaer figured that legroom was abysmal in economy class so they came up with this idea to give everyone a lie flat bed while retaining economy loading capability. The aircraft is aimed at the transatlantic routes from UK to Florida specifically targetting Disney World travellers.
                        Extra passenger space has been made by not needing toilets or galleys now that everyone is effectively trapped in their seat, albeit laying down.

Ryanair and easyJet are reputed to be the first customers and are said to be considering offering urinary catheter bag placement and intravenous feeds for a small extra fee. These will be fitted prior to taking ones place in the pallet.

Emergency egress has been addressed by having blow out sides and roof to the aircraft, with pallets being ejected under ballistic recovery parachutes. Window pallets will go out of the side and centre blocks will go out through the roof.
                        Should ejection be required in an emergency Ryanair and easyJet are further reputed to be making a compulsory charge for this based on the fact that it will be much more exciting than any Disney ride !

Haha! Awesome. I bet ChavCityDirect (Travelcitydirect) picks that one up (if they were still around).

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                          Just for information...Anet will reject any second shot of an aircraft from the same sequence as similar. According to them these two are similar !!

Yes, they are known that sometimes take odd decisions. Thanks for the informations, Andrei.

Comment

@Brianw999: Actually, I find the other site fairly predictable for the most part. It's a steep learning curve for uploading photos there to start with, but after a while it becomes a bit easier. I pretty much now concentrate on doing high ISO / low light / low shutter speed photos at the moment.

@Ben King: My rule of thumb is to centre the image so it looks natural and balanced. The first one to me looks a bit too high in the frame. I usually will centre the fuselage, provided it doesn't make other elements like the undercarriage look squashed against the bottom of the image. Otherwise, just try to fill the frame with the whole subject.

I know it's not very scientific - and it's very subjective stuff.

Otherwise - my usual trick is to put ruler guides at 33% and 66% on the image. Then use those for guidance. I'd show you a few examples, but I don't know if I'm allowed to link to anet photos from here.

Comment

Yes, you are allowed to link to A.net. Not all sites do suffer from the same paranoia

Comment

Working...
                              X