Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't see the dust spot. How do you check for dust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMN
    replied
    Bcook47, you seem to have rubbished every bit of advice you've been given so far. Why ask at all if you're going to do that?

Just an observation.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Originally posted by Bcook47 View Post
    Very funny
    I used compressed air once and it took a tech 2 hrs to clean the film off everything.

A rocket bottle works just fine thank-you.
    If you do use canned compressed air make sure the can is vertical and you blow horizontally into the lens mount. If the can is at an angle then I agree, you may get propellant on the sensor. I use a brand called "Kenair" and have never had any problems.

Leave a comment:

• Bcook47
    replied
    Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    I use a can of compressed air every time I take a lens off.
    Very funny
    I used compressed air once and it took a tech 2 hrs to clean the film off everything.

A rocket bottle works just fine thank-you.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    I use a can of compressed air every time I take a lens off.

Leave a comment:

• PMN
    replied
    PMN - The Arctic Butterfly is designed to be used on sensors. It is vibrated to develop a static charge before use and it attracts dust particles when lightly drawn across the sensor. It doesn't seem to work on anything adhering to the sensor.
    Designed to work on sensors or not, I don't like the idea of sticking anything into my mirror box multiple times because it's bound to accumulate crap the more times you use it and end up depositing that crap right where you don't want it. I think there are far better ways of cleaning your sensor, that's all I'm saying. Whether you try it or not is your own choice.
    Last edited by PMN; 2010-05-06, 10:13.

Leave a comment:

• Bcook47
    replied
    Originally posted by PMN View Post

Also on sensor cleaning, I'd never, EVER use a brush of ANY kind! The best things to use are Sensor Swabs; various types are available and any for a full frame sensor will be suitable. A brush that you're using more than once will almost certainly be putting more crap on your sensor than it's taking off!
    PMN - The Arctic Butterfly is designed to be used on sensors. It is vibrated to develop a static charge before use and it attracts dust particles when lightly drawn across the sensor. It doesn't seem to work on anything adhering to the sensor.

Leave a comment:

• Bcook47
    replied
    Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    There is actually a whacker of a spot in this image. A dense dark one just above the cockpit and on the right end of the upper background roofline.
    Right.. and every time I remove it, they tell me it's much better, but I have the wrong airport now.

Leave a comment:

• PMN
    replied
    Now that's definitely massively clear without equalising!

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    This photo was rejected for dust and data.
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2975445

The data error is mine, but I cannot see the dust spot that the reviewer reports is in the top left corner. Even at 200% inverted in the raw file I can't see it. Can you see it? What is the best method for detecting dust spots?
    There is actually a whacker of a spot in this image. A dense dark one just above the cockpit and on the right end of the upper background roofline.

Leave a comment:

• PMN
    replied
    PMN - I'm surprised you can see it in normal view. I use a calibrated Samsung 24" monitor and equalized I can barely see the dust spot in question. What kind if a monitor do you use? I assume it's calibrated?
    I have a 27 inch iMac, which I haven't calibrated because it already looks right to me. I don't really subscribe to calibration being the 'be all and end all' when it comes to monitors, there are plenty of screens out there that even calibrated are still rubbish! I trust this screen 100%, and that's all that matters. My eyes definitely aren't deceiving me on this though, it's just visible unequalised! A useful little trick is to jiggle the image around a little on your screen. If you can see the spot unequalised then you'll see it move with the photo.

Also on sensor cleaning, I'd never, EVER use a brush of ANY kind! The best things to use are Sensor Swabs; various types are available and any for a full frame sensor will be suitable. A brush that you're using more than once will almost certainly be putting more crap on your sensor than it's taking off!
    Last edited by PMN; 2010-05-05, 16:28.

Leave a comment:

• Bcook47
    replied
    PMN - I'm surprised you can see it in normal view. I use a calibrated Samsung 24" monitor and equalized I can barely see the dust spot in question. What kind if a monitor do you use? I assume it's calibrated?

Previously I had been inverting and upping contrast to see dust. Equalization works much better. I recently uploaded about a dozen photos taken last year with my 5D2. All looked fine until I Equalized them. Now I understand a comment from another forum, "you must have the dirtiest sensor on earth". I removed about 30 very small specs from everything recently posted with the 5D2 and those were crops.

I would periodically clean dust that with in camera cleaning would not come off the 5D2 sensor with a Arctic static brush. Seeing the proliferation of very small spots on the 5D2 shots I'm now wondering if the brush migh be part of the cause.

Leave a comment:

• PMN
    replied
    Thanks Ryan. That is the only way I can see the spots and it's quite subtle even with your technique.
    I can actually see it here on the original upload without equalising. It's faint, but definitely there. Very easy to heal out though. You're lucky to only have 1 spot, I seem to have none or around 15 at a time!

Leave a comment:

• Bcook47
    replied
    Thanks Ryan. That is the only way I can see the spots and it's quite subtle even with your technique.

Leave a comment:

• Rtyrpics
    replied
    As far as the aircraft part goes I cant help.
    However the dust spot is ringed in red paint.
    To check for dust spots I do it JPEG
    Create a New Layer
    Equalize That Layer
    Select Base Layer
    Use Healing Brush to remove dust
    Delete Equalized Layer
    Dust free image = Happy Screeners and photographers
    Hope that helps
    Ryan

Leave a comment:

• Bcook47
    replied
    agreed. no matter how many times I correct the link it reverts to the first link in the rejected column. Go figure.

try this http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=2975445

the photo id should be 2975445

finally it worked two F18's

Leave a comment:

Working...
X