Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amateur needs some help

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to spotting . I have my Camera and my scanner but I need some help from you guys as to what is acceptable on this site and what processing I need to do if they are good enough. I shall attach some of the shots I took yesterday.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Ian Irwin

Originally posted by iirwin View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to spotting . I have my Camera and my scanner but I need some help from you guys as to what is acceptable on this site and what processing I need to do if they are good enough. I shall attach some of the shots I took yesterday.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Ian Irwin
    The first one looks good!With a little edit it should be acceptable.
    All the others are backlit,which means the light is on the other side of the aircraft and creates a shadow on the plane. Try always to shoot with the sun in your back(or at least on the side of the aircraft which you see).

There are some website with a tutorial how to edit your photos.
    Take a look at these and you'll have a good basic to edit your photos.

http://www.seahawkgfx.de/Editingguide.pdf
    http://www.jid.me.uk/workflow/index.html
    http://www.jid.me.uk/workflow/Workflow2/index.html

Comment

Thank you very much. One question though. How acceptable would the others be if they weren't backlit? To be honest i knew that was going to be an issue but i wanted to see what people thought anyway

Comment

Thank you very much. One question though. How acceptable would the others be if they weren't backlit? To be honest i knew that was going to be an issue but i wanted to see what people thought anyway
        There are also too low in the frame to make a good crop of it.
        Try also to get your aircraft in the center of your frame.

Comment

Hiya Ian,
          All the photos look blurry to me. If a photo is blurry no amount of post processing will save it, it must be blur free in camera. However there are some simple rules

Shutter Speed should be equivalent to focal length, however If possible a stop and third above your focal length should give a blur free image.

Focal Length
          Minimum Shutter Speed
          Ideal Shutter Speed

100mm
          1/100
          1/125
          150mm
          1/150
          1/160
          200mm
          1/200
          1/250
          250mm
          1/250
          1/320
          300mm
          1/300
          1/320
          350mm
          1/350
          1/400

Also one or two of your photos have the gear cut through which would mean a rejection for clutter. If you rove around locations a little you will find places were the noise breakers don't obscure the aircraft.

We are all here to help and we DO NOT bite.
          Hope that helps.
          Ryan
          Last edited by Rtyrpics; 2010-05-09, 08:35.

Comment

From the list only the first one could have a small chance to make it into the database. But it looks soft and a little blurry which might not be caused by the compression alone.

The others are backlit and the composition is way off, as the aircraft is too low in the frame.

Comment

Thank you so much Ryan! I shall keep these things in mind next time I go shooting

I thought my images were all a little blurry but I didn't know what to do on the day to alleviate the condition. I shall try what you said with My D80.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtyrpics View Post

Focal Length
                Minimum Shutter Speed
                Ideal Shutter Speed

100mm
                1/100
                1/125

150mm
                1/150
                1/160

200mm
                1/200
                1/250

250mm
                1/250
                1/320

300mm
                1/300
                1/320

350mm
                1/350
                1/400

Ryan
                Where did you get this from?
                I don't get it because I shoot at 500mm with 1/320 and I get very sharp photos.

Comment

Thank you so much Ryan! I shall keep these things in mind next time I go shooting

I thought my images were all a little blurry but I didn't know what to do on the day to alleviate the condition. I shall try what you said with My D80.
                  On a D80 and given a good sunny day, that is easy to avoid. Just use the P* mode and switch the mode 3 clicks of thumb wheel towards a faster shutter speed.

Comment

Originally posted by arjenp View Post
                    Where did you get this from?
                    That table is a recommendation to avoid blur as much as possible. Someone with a steady hand should be able to get pin sharp shots at low shutter speeds.
                    All you need to do is to match camera panning speed to exactly the same speed of the subject with absolutely no up/down motion as well. Simple really.
                    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Only a few weeks ago you were pretty much trying to tell me I was wrong when I said you can shoot at around 25-30mm perfectly well at 1/60th! Make your bloody mind up!

The table Ryan has posted is an excellent general guide for avoiding motion blur and it works well. As Brian says, with good panning technique of course you can get sharp results at slower shutter speeds. Your technique must be really quite superb, yet curiously we don't see many photos from you. Bit of a shame really, it would be nice to see a little more of what your technique and knowledge produce.

Ryan, all that said there are a couple of errors! It's a third of a stop quicker, not a stop and a third. Also, for 150mm, a third of a stop above that would be 1/200th not 1/160th, and a third above 300mm is 1/400th, not 1/320th.
                      Last edited by PMN; 2010-05-10, 10:29.
                      Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Ryan, all that said there are a couple of errors! It's a third of a stop quicker, not a stop and a third. Also, for 150mm, a third of a stop above that would be 1/200th not 1/160th, and a third above 300mm is 1/400th, not 1/320th.
                        Hiya Paul,
                        Thanks for pointing that out, I will change the table later when I have time. Just as a question if I go from 1/160 shutter to 1/200 is that a full stop of a third of a stop?
                        RT

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                          Only a few weeks ago you were pretty much trying to tell me I was wrong when I said you can shoot at around 25-30mm perfectly well at 1/60th! Make your bloody mind up!

The table Ryan has posted is an excellent general guide for avoiding motion blur and it works well. As Brian says, with good panning technique of course you can get sharp results at slower shutter speeds. Your technique must be really quite superb, yet curiously we don't see many photos from you. Bit of a shame really, it would be nice to see a little more of what your technique and knowledge produce.
                          About that 1/60th thing,I didn't knew it was at 25mm so please forgive me that and I only said we have different experiences on that, not that you're wrong.
                          You are thinking that I have no idea what I'm talking about right?
                          When I upload some photos you will be eager to rejected them when my "superb technigue" fails in your opnion,right?
                          In the furture I will no longer give my toughts on things so that you don't waste time on responding to me, deal?

Comment

About that 1/60th thing,I didn't knew it was at 25mm so please forgive me that and I only said we have different experiences on that, not that you're wrong.
                            You are thinking that I have no idea what I'm talking about right?
                            When I upload some photos you will be eager to rejected them when my "superb technigue" fails in your opnion,right?
                            In the furture I will no longer give my toughts on things so that you don't waste time on responding to me, deal?
                            I have spent all day in a school and to be honest, that is the most childish thing I have read all day.

These threads are not for contradicting each other and playing "he said/she said/im right/no your not".

These threads are for photographers to suggest techniques based on their experiences. Paul puts his experience in and its always credible and believable. Ripping Paul to shreds Arjen is a bad idea, however there is NOTHING wrong with discussing and challenging techniques in the right way.

So, stop acting like a three year old, stick your top lip back in, and get on with it. (Same for everyone, discuss, put your two penneth in, don't start the black is white, its not funny, its not interesting)

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Rtyrpics View Post
                              Paul puts his experience in and its always credible and believable.
                              I'm not denying that, but when someone tells me to Make your bloody mind up it doesn't sound that nice towards me.
                              Maybe I get this wrong as it's a foreign language for me, but that's why I replied in the first way.

Comment

Working...
                              X