close-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• close-ups

Another thing that bothers me and I can not understand it, that's the Issue of close-ups.
    Here is an example picture which was rejected yesterday:

Another examples:

In some cases, the reject is because the photo is "similar" (Your claim), In some cases, because of "Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered)" and/or "Part of aircraft cut off".
    In all honesty, I can not understand the problem With these photos.
    I see every day on the site that you accept close-ups like that from the other photographers, and sometimes, you accept some photos like that from me ! So, it makes me even more to not understand what is the real problem with these photos in all honesty.
    Therefore, the obvious conclusion from this issue, and the previous issue, It all depends on the eye of the beholder, as I wrote previously in this forum.

Have a good weekend !

Until you bring up a scientific "black-or-white" rule for similar, I just tell you, that
    a) there are some upload guidelines which more or less define, what WE UNDERSTAND AS SIMILAR, which are the rules which tell you and us, what can be accepted and what will most likely be rejected and
    b) photography is not an exact science, which means, that everyone can have more or less different opinions on a photo. That's why we need a voting system for screeners, and an appeal feature.

Same goes for "part of aircraft cut off" and "centering".
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Hello Erez,

for inflight close-ups the angle is important. The angle you choose looks unpleasing as you had to cut through the engines and landing gear in a way that looks very randomly.

I personally prefer to go for a 45° angle for close-ups, as it allows a clean and balanced crop.

[photoid=5959261]
      [photoid=440809]

Comment

To be fair mate you cut the back of the engines off making an unbalanced photo.

Cheers

Charles

Comment

When doing close up crops of aircraft I have a simple rule:
          All or nothing
          In other words the crop needs the whole engine or no engine, same with gear the whole spoke and tyre or nothing.
          Cutting through the engines/gear in this way creates a very unbalanced image it looks clumsy and feels awkward.
          The angle you are shooting from doesn't lend itself to well to close ups but these are two of my close ups taken from a similar angle.

[photoid=6813566]
          [photoid=6746867]

Looking straight up at an aircraft rarely lends itself to good close ups, a slight angle is usually needed. There are some exceptions to this rule in the DB (I wont post them). But these are generally extreme close ups of the nose/tail.

Hope that helps.
          Ryan

Comment

Thanks for all answers.

Comment

What sometimes helps to get a different feel for a picture is experimenting with 4:3 crops instead of the 3:2 crops you are using.

In a 4:3 crop there is a little bit more room for the gear and instead of cutting the engines in two you could only show the cowlings and it will still look good. You have to experiment of course.

Maybe you could give that a try.

Roel.

Comment

Erezs,
                Now that you got a clear answer about how cut-off engines 'll be rejected maybe it could be a good idea to remove all cut-offs that you still have in the queue (I just checked, you still got a few of them) - thanks a lot

Alex

Comment

Working...
                X