Dark/underexposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark/underexposed

I had this one rejected for 3 reason, I understand "categories wrong or missing" and "bad info" but Dark/ underexposed, I dont understand, please someone just explain

Thank you
    Frikkie

Did you check cargo category?
    Your date is "December 2 2010", however were only in July.
    As for the dark see at attached image the left hand side is correctly exposed, I used the luminosity histogram which showed a big gap towards the left hand side.

Hope that helps.
    Ryan

Comment

Definite gap on the right hand side of the histogram. Bring the right hand baseline arrow to the left until it meets the base of the graph to set the brightness.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Ok thank you Brian and Ryan

Frikkie

Comment

Similar problem on this shot

Hi,

to avoid the creation of a new topic, I've decided to put my question into this one. I hope that's allright...

Does quick brightening help in this case or what should be applied to make this one ready for the db? Unluckily the weather was terrible that day...

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
          Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by patrickphs View Post
            Hi,

to avoid the creation of a new topic, I've decided to put my question into this one. I hope that's allright...

Does quick brightening help in this case or what should be applied to make this one ready for the db? Unluckily the weather was terrible that day...

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
            Patrick
            Hiya,
            A quick look at the histogram shows both things, the graph lacks both highlights and shadows which is reflected in the falt look of the image.

My alteration is on the left, based upon the luminosity histogram.

Ryan

Comment

Hi,

thank you, Ryan! That helps. I see, I still need practise...

Greets,
              Patrick

Comment

Patrick, Ryan's example shows what it should ultimately look like in terms of brightness, but unfortunately because the original was quite underexposed brightening it so much will increase noise to a point where it's likely to be rejected for that rather than underexposed. The trick is to keep an eye on your in-camera histogram when shooting and use positive exposure compensation to brighten the photo when you take it rather than rely on software to do it afterwards. Try bear in mind that when you brighten by a stop in editing software you increase noise basically by the same amount as you would by doubling your sensitivity (i.e. doubling your ISO), so the less brightening you have to do in editing the less noise you will generally get.
                Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Hi,

that really seems to be the solution. I've never heard of this feature before, but I think it helps a lot. Thank you for this nice trick.

A shame that I didn't look through my camera manual before my trip to Berlin. It would have been the right moment, just a beautiful picture... But nevertheless, next time, I know this nice feature...

Greets,
                  Patrick

Comment

Patrick, one thing I always say to people is read the camera manual, then read it again. When you're done reading it for the second time, read it again a third time. Even if you don't quite understand everything you read straight away at least you have a rough idea what functions your camera has, you can then experiment.

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                      Patrick, one thing I always say to people is read the camera manual, then read it again. When you're done reading it for the second time, read it again a third time. Even if you don't quite understand everything you read straight away at least you have a rough idea what functions your camera has, you can then experiment.
                      And then PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Experimenting really is the best thing to do, after youve read the manual.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that

Comment

I did say then experiment, Ryan. Let's not waste forum bandwidth by saying things twice!

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                            I did say then experiment, Ryan. Let's not waste forum bandwidth by saying things twice!
                            Sorry Paul...............I didn't read it properly.

Comment

Working...
                            X