X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye, adieu, auf Wiedersehen ...

Guys,

With regret I have decided to stop uploading pictures to the database.

A few days ago I was "demoted" from maximum upload size 1600 to 1024.
    I find this demotion far too drastic for someone who has loads of pics of 1200+ pix pictures. Just because I uploaded one bad series from KMIA (contrast troubles) my maximum upload size was brought down to 1024.

It's the rules, I know this. The owners of the site are free to imply their own rules.

This does not mean the photographers cannot ventilate their personal views.
    I think being degraded from 1600 to 1024 is too harsh, especially when you can only come to 1600 by uploading 1024s and get a good acceptation ratio. It's like removing Wayne Rooney from the Man Utd first team, put him in a youth team, and let him only return when he scores enough goals in a youth season.

I don't want to be treated as some newbie.

I wanted to delete all pics in queue, but I just now saw that there are only four left. I let them there. If rejected, I couldn't bother anymore.

I want to thank everybody for the great moments I had on this site, since 2008. Whenever I had questions, you guys were there when I needed you most.

A special thank goes out to Brian, who never hesitated to help me with all kinds of photography or processing problems.

I wish everyone all the best and good luck with spotting. Keep uploading those beautiful pictures, preferably in 1600 pix !

Goodbye, adieu, auf Wiedersehen, tot ziens,

Hinkelbein

It's very sad to read something like this.
    However I really can understand your decision. I have faced the same situation last year once and now, as we speak, for the 2nd time.

It really doesn't matter if you have 50000+ pics of extremely good quality in database; if you have two bad weeks with, for some strange reason, an unexpected low acceptance ratio you can be treated as a newbee.

I don't wanna be treated like that as well.

It is just the system that makes it impossible now to downgrade to another upload size than 1024.
    It's not a screeners decision; just a "bug" in the system.

I have to admit that the moment is very near I also make the last stap to say farewell at JP
    However, I made some good friends troughout the years and JP was my first step to build a little reputation in the aviation photography-world as well; so I don't quit right now.
    But- once again- I really really now how you feel!!

Hopefully you think twice before leaving the site for this reason only.

Best regards
    Freek

Comment

Hinklebein,

I thought you said you were just going to get on with it and carry on, what has changed since?

It's a shame to see you leave but if that's your decision then so be it, nobody can or will stop you.

Just because you have x amount of photos in the database doesn't mean you can avoid 'demotions' - Take Gary Neville for example. He had been at Manchester United since 1991 but once he started getting injuries and his form dropped, we changed captains and he was dropped. He didn't moan about it, he worked on trying to regain his place

Life is to short to be getting angry and frustrated over the internet, if you really want to stop uploading then that's fine but I think you should think about it first.

Kwaheri,

Sam
      Last edited by RingwaySam; 2011-08-23, 20:21.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Hinkelbein, Hopefully you change your mind after you cool down in a couple weeks.

I didn't realize that people can get their upload size downgraded. I better be careful with my uploads .

Comment

I hope you will change your decision
          I had similar situation last time and downgrading max size of pics made me very angry and sad and I was also thinking about saying good bye to this site, but I cooled down and - I like this site as much as earlier It is not worth to leave this site for this trouble.

Best regards,
          Kornel

Comment

Originally posted by saupatel View Post
            Sorry to hear that Hinkelbein, Hopefully you change your mind after you cool down in a couple weeks.
            I'll need some weeks to cool down, that's a fact. Fortunately, I have a 8 days vacation to Rome to look forward to. No spotting there though, I lost all mood for that now. Besides, I wouldn' t know what to do with the pics, I am not a person that keeps pictures for his personal collection. What cannot be uploaded here - or elsewhere - is deleted. And since I don't upload any more, it's no use taking pictures. My wife will probably be glad now .

Comment

Originally posted by wrxflyer View Post
              Hopefully you think twice before leaving the site for this reason only.
              Freek, I won't leave the site, I will still be seeing all those beautiful pictures, it's just that I' ll quit uploading for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
                I'll need some weeks to cool down, that's a fact. Fortunately, I have a 8 days vacation to Rome to look forward to. No spotting there though, I lost all mood for that now. Besides, I wouldn' t know what to do with the pics, I am not a person that keeps pictures for his personal collection. What cannot be uploaded here - or elsewhere - is deleted. And since I don't upload any more, it's no use taking pictures. My wife will probably be glad now .
                That is problem the biggest problem you have. Why would you spent time at airports just to please some idiots at photo-databases and hope that they will accept your photos. You have really wasted time, if just standing at the airport and watching the plane is boring to you. The spotting should be the thing you enjoy, not having photos accepted by some blind monkey screeners, who think they know what a good photo is. Because honestly screeners should never decide what a good photo is for you. And I have dozens of photos which would never be accepted at any database, but which mean a lot more to me than my most successful SC here.

Normally I would encourage you to up-load 15 photos at 1024px to solve the issue, but now I would just suggest to spent a day at Rome airport (or half a day) just looking at the planes and without bringing a camera. If that makes no fun to you, you should look for a different hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
                  That is problem the biggest problem you have.

now I would just suggest to spent a day at Rome airport (or half a day) just looking at the planes and without bringing a camera. If that makes no fun to you, you should look for a different hobby.
                  First post here for a while - Hi all!

I've had a lot of time to think about various things in recent months while I've been on my tavels and working on other projects, and one thing I've been thinking about is comments exactly like this. What gives anyone the right to tell others how they should and shouldn't view their own hobby? If Hinkelbein takes photos purely to post to websites then it's his right to do that, it's that simple. It just isn't right to tell another photographer how to go about their hobby. It's his hobby, he's free to enjoy it as he likes.

I'll sneak off back into my hole and hide for another 3 months now!
                  Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

That is problem the biggest problem you have. Why would you spent time at airports just to please some idiots at photo-databases and hope that they will accept your photos. You have really wasted time, if just standing at the airport and watching the plane is boring to you. The spotting should be the thing you enjoy, not having photos accepted by some blind monkey screeners, who think they know what a good photo is. Because honestly screeners should never decide what a good photo is for you.
                    That is your view, mine is rather different.

Normally I would encourage you to up-load 15 photos at 1024px to solve the issue.
                    you know, I may actually try this. I have in stock some older Schiphol AMS/EHAM sessions, that I can upload in the 1024 pix size
                    I guess there are no special pics in these sets, otherwise I would have uploaded them in 1200+.

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                      First post here for a while - Hi all!

I've had a lot of time to think about various things in recent months while I've been on my tavels and working on other projects, and one thing I've been thinking about is comments exactly like this. What gives anyone the right to tell others how they should and shouldn't view their own hobby? If Hinkelbein takes photos purely to post to websites then it's his right to do that, it's that simple. It just isn't right to tell another photographer how to go about their hobby. It's his hobby, he's free to enjoy it as he likes.

I'll sneak off back into my hole and hide for another 3 months now!
                      I am not telling him how to go about his hobby. I am of the opinion, that if you think watching airplanes is boring when you can not up-load images to a database, I would photograph different things.

Standing countless hours at an airport just to get some stupid databases, seems like a waste of time, if you do not enjoy watching planes in general.

I did not tell him how to go about his hobby, I suggested to think about photographing different things and spending the time a spotter spents at the airport, doing something he actually enjoys while doing.

Comment

I am not telling him how to go about his hobby. I am of the opinion, that if you think watching airplanes is boring when you can not up-load images to a database, I would photograph different things.

Standing countless hours at an airport just to get some stupid databases, seems like a waste of time, if you do not enjoy watching planes in general.

I did not tell him how to go about his hobby, I suggested to think about photographing different things and spending the time a spotter spents at the airport, doing something he actually enjoys while doing.
                        Your opinions are your own, Stefan, what makes you think others share your views? Telling another photographer he "should look for a different hobby" if he's not happy simply viewing planes without a camera seems to somewhat overstep the mark to me.

My images on Flickr

Comment

I did not tell a photographer to find another hobby, I suggested a photographer to find another subject. A subject that he likes, regardless of what so called screeners think of the photos. I find it scary that the joy of photographing airplanes depends on the votes of idiots like me.

Comment

I did not tell a photographer to find another hobby, I suggested a photographer to find another subject. A subject that he likes, regardless of what so called screeners think of the photos. I find it scary that the joy of photographing airplanes depends on the votes of idiots like me.
                            now I would just suggest to spent a day at Rome airport (or half a day) just looking at the planes and without bringing a camera. If that makes no fun to you, you should look for a different hobby.
                            So you weren't saying he should look for a different hobby if he isn't happy just looking at planes? What were you saying then? That's exactly what you wrote! Suggestion or otherwise, that's exactly what you said.

Anyway, to a point I agree with you Stefan, but I think one of the problems with this hobby is a lack of acceptance some people have for the way others go about it. If Hinkelbein wants to only take photos to upload then just accept it rather than question it. It's his choice!

My images on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by PMN View Post
                              So you weren't saying he should look for a different hobby if he isn't happy just looking at planes? What were you saying then? That's exactly what you wrote! Suggestion or otherwise, that's exactly what you said.
                              Yes, a different hobby than photographing airplanes, not a different hobby than photography.

Anyway, to a point I agree with you Stefan, but I think one of the problems with this hobby is a lack of acceptance some people have for the way others go about it. If Hinkelbein wants to only take photos to upload then just accept it rather than question it. It's his choice!
                              Sure it is his choice, but currently he is unhappy about the decisions of the people who decided about his up-loads. So obviously it is not working for him at the moment. Other options would be to use other databases with different standards and and other differences. I heard there are some new emerging sites, which look interesting to say the least.

I would not base my satisfaction from my hobby on some stupid website.

Comment

Working...
                              X