• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a break

Hi guys,

I am having so many photos rejected lately and mainly for the same reasons:
    soft, blurry, undersharpened.

Is it my monitor, is it my eyes? I don't know.

Somehow, I have completely lost touch. It's no fun anymore.
    And with the crappy summer (again!!!) here in the Netherlands, I don't see how I am going to take pictures in good light conditions.

I've decided to take a long break. I think there are some pictures still in the queue. They'll probably be rejected too, but I don't bother to take them out of the queue. My acceptance rate had dropped dramatically, so those few won't make a difference.

Cheers,

Hinkelbein

UPDATE

Both pictures were indeed rejected but a screener's comment is a moral booster:
    "Screener's Comments: Hinkelbein, don't lose the will because of a few rejections, try to learn from them, it would be a shame to lose you from the site."
    Thanks for that, it's much appreciated!

Well, I certainly won't leave, but I am going to take a break.

At the moment I lack confidence to upload anything. I have still I don't know how many pictures from a cloudy day London Heathrow (which so far have almost all been rejected for being too dark or backlit, since the clouds seem to act as a light source) and from a foggy day Dusseldorf, which constantly get rejections for being too dark or blurry.

I suppose I'll have to wait till a sunny day, and I don't see that coming to Holland this summer

Comment

Let's be honest, all your rejected photos were taken in less than ideal weather conditions. I think you're worrying to much. Wait for a nice day, go out and your acceptance ratio will shoot back up. I'm not saying you won't get shots accepted in poor weather, but the DUS weather really isn't going to help.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
        Let's be honest, all your rejected photos were taken in less than ideal weather conditions. I think you're worrying to much. Wait for a nice day, go out and your acceptance ratio will shoot back up. I'm not saying you won't get shots accepted in poor weather, but the DUS weather really isn't going to help.

Sam
        I echo Sam. I screened a few of yours yesterday and had to reject them for reason's that were mainly due to the weather! Your technique is pretty spot on. If i, and i imagine a lot of other screeners shot in the same conditions then we'd have rejections too!

I hope you stay around, go out on a nice sunny day and upload some pictures. Your contributions are appreciated so please try not to take the rejections to heart!

Chris
        Chris Sharps
        5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
        17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
        24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
        1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for your nice answers. I will certainly stick around.
          Maybe it's a good idea to browse through my pictures, and start preparing some older series for uploading. I have still some left that were taken in better weather conditions. And then occasionally I'll have a go with other pics.

It may be a stupid question, but what thas DUS weather mean?

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
            It may be a stupid question, but what thas DUS weather mean?
            The weather in Dusseldorf when you took the photos...

Sam

Comment

It is very easy to lose heart @ times, especially after a lot of rejections. Trust me, I know. I almost gave up numerous times on A.net, and even here a few times @ first.

If you love doing it, don't give up. I never do any photography in the summer because it is too flipping hot and the conditions just do not produce good images. Unless something special shows up @ the local airport, which is very rare, I don't do any photography except between October and April. Just take a break until the weather improves.

I usually have a good acceptance rate because I try very hard not to upload borderline images unless it is just something I really like and am willing to take a chance. (I wonder how much it costs to bribe the screeners... )

However, of the last 11 uploaded, 9 have been rejected. Most have been for the same thing, "under sharpened" which is the most common rejection I get and it always leaves me fuming; not @ the screeners, but at myself for not seeing it. Of course there is always the one picture I think the screeners are full of crap for rejecting, but I'm sure everyone feels that way now and then.

Anyway, they're moving along pretty good. The queue has been close to or over 16,000 for months and it's below 10,000 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
                and from a foggy day Dusseldorf, which constantly get rejections for being too dark or blurry.
                Same with my pictures on that day in Dusseldorf (DUS )!
                And I do understand your disappointment, I sometimes want to stop sending in, but than I realizes I like it all to much!

Comment

The simple answer....don't go to the airport on cloudy and foggy days!!!!

Comment

Especially at DUS. You rarely get nice condensations but the contrast will still be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by RingwaySam View Post
                      The weather in Dusseldorf when you took the photos...

Sam
                      OMG, you have no idea how stupid I feel right now

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL View Post
                        The simple answer....don't go to the airport on cloudy and foggy days!!!!

On the other hand some interesting stuff can come out on cloudy days.

And there's less risk of having heat haze!

Comment

When it is cloudy, rainy or dark, the camera stays in the bag and I go find some girl to chase.... After many years of working and photographing at the airport and then post processing the images I honestly give up as you can never get a good clear image on a shitty day. On the "rare" occasion you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenden S View Post
                            When it is cloudy, rainy or dark, the camera stays in the bag and I go find some girl to chase.... After many years of working and photographing at the airport and then post processing the images I honestly give up as you can never get a good clear image on a shitty day. On the "rare" occasion you do.
                            Not strictly true!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...199928&nseq=45

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.p...7400250&nseq=8
                            Chris Sharps
                            5D3 | 5D2 | 7D | 1D2 | 10D | 400D | 1V | 3
                            17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS
                            24F1.4L II | 50F1.2L | 85F1.2L II | 15F2.8 Fisheye | 50F1.4 | 100F2.8 Macro
                            1.4x | 550EX x2

Fuji X100

Comment

UPDATE (AGAIN)

I couldn't let things rest, so a couple of days ago, I made another attempt.
                              Two pictures were promptly accepted.

And read the friendly screener's remark:
                              "Screener's Comments: See, no need to take a break - Sam."

This makes one feel good and appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Hinkelbein

Comment

Working...
                              X