Something about thinking "outside the box"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ErezS View Post
    It's clear to me, I always try to check it, but when we are going to the "air show" It is not so actual to check it, because the aircrafts and helicopters are doing rounds in the air, and not in static mode ...
    If you are not placed in the centre of that circle, the circles does not help at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
      That's correct, but for the most part, you know the general direction the show will happen. If in general the aircraft are between you and the sun, the chances of getting a good shot are almost none.
      It is very clear to me, and usually I do not take pictures against the sun, I personally do not like such photos.
      But yet I have sometimes reservations when someone says "it is backlit" when in fact I know for sure with 100% that the sun was behind me, although perhaps at an oblique angle. Therefore, as has already been written on this subject, it possibly can be considered as "The light on the nose" (maybe "Noselit"...), but it is can't be considered as "backlit" because it's not backlit !
      I'm sorry if this seems like an argument, but in all languages ​​in the world the words "back light" It's not like "light on the nose".
      In my humble opinion this is so simple, and so it should be understandable to all...
      But of course, this is only in my humble opinion...
      Originally posted by seahawk View Post
      If you are not placed in the centre of that circle, the circles does not help at all.
      I do not know how it's views in your's Air shows, but in LLHB the machines are with movement around, so in some of the time we have excellent lighting, as one can see.
      And now I'm going to real hard work for several hours, So, see you later...

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
        Regarding #14 from Felipe´s list, you can also use Google Earth to check the position of the sun, before going spotting. I use this a lot, especially for airshows as it tells you when to shoot the static and when the flying displays. Unfortunately the majority of all airshows do not allow to shoo the whole flying display in good light and in most places either the beginning or the end will be backlit.
        Maybe thats the tool you all are looking for

SunClac is a nice web app for calculating sun position and sunrise/sunset/twilight times given location and date.
        Oliver Richter

Comment

It is very clear to me, and usually I do not take pictures against the sun, I personally do not like such photos.
          But yet I have sometimes reservations when someone says "it is backlit" when in fact I know for sure with 100% that the sun was behind me, although perhaps at an oblique angle. Therefore, as has already been written on this subject, it possibly can be considered as "The light on the nose" (maybe "Noselit"...), but it is can't be considered as "backlit" because it's not backlit !
          I'm sorry if this seems like an argument, but in all languages ​​in the world the words "back light" It's not like "light on the nose".
          In my humble opinion this is so simple, and so it should be understandable to all...
          But of course, this is only in my humble opinion...
          While I agree with the point you're making as its technically correct, if we were to include a noselit, sidelit, rejection reason, then we'd have to split up over/under contrast etc, we'd end up with millions of rejection reasons and finding the one we want would take longer and screening would take longer for not all that much gain.

If you translate backlit to 'shadows on fuselage which has been deemed unacceptable for inclusion in DB' then you should have no problems.
          Sam Rudge
          A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

I use this on my computer and also on my android phone when I am out and choosing my location for photos.
            Photo Ephemeris helps you plan outdoor photography in natural light. See how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.

Awesome tool, and well worth paying the money for the phone, free for the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by KampfHase View Post
              Maybe thats the tool you all are looking for

http://www.suncalc.net/
              Oliver,
              It is not actual always, as I explained above in previous response, but it is great! I'm saving it to my favorites.
              Many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Simpleboy View Post
                While I agree with the point you're making as its technically correct, if we were to include a noselit, sidelit, rejection reason, then we'd have to split up over/under contrast etc, we'd end up with millions of rejection reasons and finding the one we want would take longer and screening would take longer for not all that much gain.

If you translate backlit to 'shadows on fuselage which has been deemed unacceptable for inclusion in DB' then you should have no problems.
                Well, I understand your point, but it still does not do "light from the side" or "light on the nose" as "back light" ... and in my humble opinion this is not a "translation problem" at all
                Also, it's a fact that sometimes the team are accept many photos with "light on the nose" or "light from the side".
                But I'll try to avoid as much as possible in these situations.
                Originally posted by Brenden S View Post
                I use this on my computer and also on my android phone when I am out and choosing my location for photos.
                Photo Ephemeris helps you plan outdoor photography in natural light. See how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.

Awesome tool, and well worth paying the money for the phone, free for the computer.
                Brenden, Also it's great, thanks for the recommendation, but, as I said above, do not always I have the option to plan ahead, for example about the Airshow in Be'er Sheva, Not everyone can enter to the observation, so if I can go there, it always pays to take a chance ....

Comment

Well, I understand your point, but it still does not do "light from the side" or "light on the nose" as "back light" ... and in my humble opinion this is not a "translation problem" at all
                  Also, it's a fact that sometimes the team are accept many photos with "light on the nose" or "light from the side".
                  But I'll try to avoid as much as possible in these situations.
                  It's not a translational error or such, its a we dont want 4-5 rejection reasons which all mean the same thing (visible shadows on the fuselage), hence the one reason 'backlit'.

And yes, sometimes photos get in, in those situations we look to see if the shadow has created a nice effect such as reflections etc. In situations like that the acceptance will go down to a vote.
                  Sam Rudge
                  A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Felipe,
                    I avoid now to putting all the quotation of your long response, but I make an effort to respond as I can, and unfortunately I still have the language problems.
                    Apologize, but it's my big problem.
                    Also, and although some of the responders are writing to me "we not have a language barrier", unfortunately I have a BIG problem, I asking sometimes some friends for translation, and sometimes I use with "Google translation" to makes me the job, (like in this answer) but many times the "Google's translation" is really not accurate, to say the least ...
                    So I have to emphasize the point, that you will understand the sore problem of mine!

And now, after the long opening from my heart, and also because I already wrote in other responses about some of the things , I will answer now only partially the points that I find now fit to answer.
                    And it takes a few hours because of my objective difficulties, so I expect to maximum understanding.
                    I think that your actions in the past have generated a negative attitude towards you, and even if you have a valid point, a lot of us will dismiss it because of how you have behaved in the past with complains, excessive appealing (or so we've heard), so even if you want to raise a valid point, the general feeling seems to be "Oh, it's Erez and his big disappointments again".
                    Unfortunately I know this, I allow myself to think it's not justice, I hope that the relationship to improve, maybe if they understand in a more objective and the problems I have.
                    It's possible that my problems do not interest anyone, but if forum is designed to help other people, I can expect to understand and help, even if we have some major difficulties along the way. Anyway, I'm not a kid, my age is 53, and yes, I can and try learn ... but please, be patient with me. Otherwise I have nothing to do here.
                    I had a large batch of rejections a couple of weeks ago, and I did question some of them (as you may find in the rejections thread), now, I did find the root of the problems and corrected it. But if you start posting messages saying that you can't see the problems and you don't understand the rejections, it doesn't help (go back to #4)
                    But what can I do if I really do not see the problems ?
                    Maybe the team can be with a little more patience and explain as explain to a little boy, so he could understand the problem?

Really, I don't feel so good to write that way, but it's true. And I think that all of you should respect a person aged 53 who is not ashamed to say that he had problems! Am I not right?
                    ana if someone does not have patience, (unfortunately there are some friends without patience), so they should not respond at all than to respond without patience.
                    Unfortunately there were some cases when someone responds with absolute contempt, and it is really insulting, humiliating, painful, not friendly.
                    However there are many friends with a lot of patience, and I really appreciate it!
                    It sometimes feels like contributors who have been on the site for longer, or have a large number of pictures might be held to a higher standard, not necessarily a bad thing, and personally, I can tell you that that's how I feel as one of the admins and top contributors in our group's website and forum. I find it frustrating that when people ask for advice and I tell them how to do something, their reply is "well, but the way I've been doing it seems to work fine"; I find it more aggravating when someone who has been on the site for a while and has been helped a lot asks for advice but doesn't listen. It seems like you have been given advice plenty of times and you haven't listened properly. Also, it seems like if someone who is not a staff member gives you advice, you ignore it because of that reason.
                    That's not true, I appreciate any answer, any help, with all due respect to everyone. But as I explained many times, not always I can understand it all.
                    You still blame the language barrier a lot, and James brought up a valid point. The language barrier exists, but at this point I don't feel like it's much of an issue, except when you don't understand. We all seem to understand what you write, but it feels like the opposite is not true. I will agree with you that it might be difficult to express certain feelings, or the way you say things sounds completely different in another language, or it sounds rude, but from a technical perspective, if you can still transmit your points to the audience and understand what the audience is trying to tell you, you've communicated successfully.
                    Regardless of language, sometimes it seems like you dismiss advice if it's not what you wanted to hear, or, if it's not specifically what you asked. It could be the way you write it, I cannot deny that, but I do feel like you're dismissing advice that doesn't directly pertain to your question, or doesn't come from someone you're expecting.
                    As I answered above at the beginning of this answer, maybe for the other people this is a little problem, for me this is very big problem.
                    And like the previous answer I appreciate any answer, any help, with all due respect to everyone, but sometimes I can't understand all things.
                    I think that regardless of how many pictures you got accepted before there were "standards", you should have learned something in the past year or two, I can tell you I have, now, most of my uploads are from 2011-12, as I never did any serious spotting before that. I'm pretty sure that anyone who has given you advice feels like you should have learned something, it's not about becoming a professional or not, but about improving, if you don't improve, then you haven't learned.
                    I do not mean what it was before there were "standards" rules, I'm talking about the last year's pictures. And I see with my eyes that have worsened with the decisions.
                    But again, although perhaps it's not make happy some people, I just say things I read on the forum, it is clear to me there sometimes have a dispute between some of the screening team.
                    Just sometimes, not always. But I can not ignore the fact that it's very clear.
                    Is this not true ? I think the answer must be "It's true, definitely". Because it's so clear on the forum...
                    Have you thought about starting your own website or Flickr or 500px account to upload the pictures that you like but the databases won't accept?
                    I thought about it, certainly, but for now it does not interest me so much, and I'm happy with what I have here, and also in the other "spotting" sites, despite the many difficulties on the way, and also we have always the option of "son" of "blue site"...
                    It doesn't feel good to have a photo rejected, especially when you think it's not a common one. I got pretty angry when I had some shots rejected over at RP of an ALCO Century because "we regularly don't accept cloudy day shots of common power". I don't understand how "ALCO Century" and "common power" can be part of the same sentences, but instead of accusing the screeners of ganging up against me I simply put that up on my Flickr account and my personal website.
                    I understand the main point, but here is proof about the language barrier:
                    I do not understand some words from what you wrote in this quote.
                    For example: What is "ALCO Century" ? Even "Google Translate" has not translated this to me ...
                    ... To be fair, I took a break in this point, I did a search on the Internet, and I realize it's about trains.
                    I must point out a few years ago I uploaded some pictures to RP, but my percentage of rejections is very high there, so I stopped to take an interest in that, with all the sorrow.
                    I went back to some of your previous shots, and I really like the ones you took with the 10-22, I've been using a 12-24 for a year now and you can get some great shots with it, and you can definitely think outside the box too. You should really experiment with that too, the results might not be as exciting as a plane with flames shooting out of the exhaust, but they might be very unique. You can create some great shots if you understand your limitations as a photographer and the limitations of your equipment, as I said before in point 2 or 3 or 4.
                    Thank you for the compliments, but there is a big difference between photography of static object and between photography of a fighter jet during a flying at high speed.
                    My rejections percentage of these static photos was 0%, no more, no less...
                    It's true, I'm very happy about it, but I want to see on the JP database some photos of the fighters during high speed flying... But I understand that this is very difficult problem for me.

To summarize this answer:
                    I thank you again from my heart for your time on me and my problems, I really hope that after this long answer (and it took me three and a half hours to answer!) You might understand me better.

All the best,
                    Erez.

Comment

Really, I don't feel so good to write that way, but it's true. And I think that all of you should respect a person aged 53 who is not ashamed to say that he had problems! Am I not right?
                      Unfortunately there were some cases when someone responds with absolute contempt, and it is really insulting, humiliating, painful, not friendly.
                      However there are many friends with a lot of patience, and I really appreciate it!
                      You're right, but you do have to show that you're actually taking the advice and accepting the facts, not just blaming it on the screeners.
                      And I think that if people respond like that, it's because of the past. Let the time pass, don't behave like you did before, and people are more likely to treat you better.

I do not mean what it was before there were "standards" rules, I'm talking about the last year's pictures. And I see with my eyes that have worsened with the decisions.
                      But again, although perhaps it's not make happy some people, I just say things I read on the forum, it is clear to me there sometimes have a dispute between some of the screening team.
                      But like I said before, most of those disagreements are on very subjective things, I sometimes disagree with them, but I accept them. Maybe the standards have gone up slightly from last year, but standards have to increase slightly every so often to prevent the quality standards from being the same as back in 2005.

For example: What is "ALCO Century" ? Even "Google Translate" has not translated this to me ...
                      ... To be fair, I took a break in this point, I did a search on the Internet, and I realize it's about trains.
                      I must point out a few years ago I uploaded some pictures to RP, but my percentage of rejections is very high there, so I stopped to take an interest in that, with all the sorrow.
                      Thank you for the compliments, but there is a big difference between photography of static object and between photography of a fighter jet during a flying at high speed.
                      My rejections percentage of these static photos was 0%, no more, no less...
                      It's true, I'm very happy about it, but I want to see on the JP database some photos of the fighters during high speed flying... But I understand that this is very difficult problem for me.
                      I forgot to add that that was more for railroad people, but to make a parallel, it would be like a 707 or 727-100 photo getting rejected these days because it's too common.

There is a big difference between static and flying, but like I said before, it's all about taking advantage of the light and equipment you have available. I'm sure you can take some great shots of high speed flying planes, but it takes practice, a lot of it.
                      [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Working...
                      X