Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More jpg help please -sorry!

Hi
    In July I got some good advice from the forum about avoiding jpgs in my shots, (see jpg rejections) and for the last couple of months I've followed the process with good results, however I now seem to have had another flurry of jpg rejections & I'm not at all sure why.
    I've been following the same process with a wide variety of shots from different occasions & they all seem to have this jpg problem.
    Now I'm genuinely stuck, I couldn't view the jpg rejection examples on the website, & to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for, I read about the colour fade & issues around the cockpit & registration, however in the examples that were rejected I couldn't really see it, but then again I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
    Anyway yet again I would appreciate any advice & guidance, and my thanks to Brian & Hinkelbein who came to my rescue last time.
    Thanks in advance.
    All the best.
    Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I just had a look at your rejections and they're not too bad, but do show slight signs of compression. I'm not sure what Hinkelbein and Brian recommended last time but the obvious things that come to mind is to ensure you are saving the edited images at the highest possible quality. Also if sharpening, ensure you are sharpening the image after resizing it. Also, if you save an image, and then decide to reedit it by make it brighter etc, it's better to start from scratch rather than resaving a JPG, as it'll likely lose a bit of quality when saved a few times.

What sharpening method are you using as sometimes certain sharpening methods cause what looks like compression around detail on the aircraft.

If you want, you can post an original of one of the rejected images and one of us can edit it for you and tell you the editing steps we went through, it might help figure out where the compression is coming from during your editing work flow.

Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

Many thanks for your reply, I've attached the original photograph of the Hunter from the Empire Test Pilots school taken at Dunsfold which was rejected for jpgs.
      The advice I had previously & which I've subsequently followed was the same as yours, basically I correct the horizon, crop & clean, resize, adjust the light/contrast if neccesary and sharpen should it be needed.
      I use Picasa to adjust the images, including any sharpening, I've looked at the settings in this progeamme to see if it can be improved.
      I'm grateful for any help & guidance, and for your time.
      Thanks.
      Best wishes.

Nigel

Comment

Hi Nigel,

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Picasa, I personally use photoshop myself.

The original image is a bit soft, especially along the wing, although it is possible to edit it up to database standards.

First thing I did was to brighten the image by brightening the midtones, and then crop it. Upon resizing the image to 1200 pix, a simple round of USM (400,0.2,0) and the image is complete.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=3963674

Dave

Comment

Hi
          Many thanks Dave, I'll follow your guidelines, have you any tips on how to spot the compression artefacts other than jagged edges. as I'd rather not submit photographs that don't meet the standard.
          Thanks again for your time and advice.
          Best wishes.
          Nigel

Comment

Working...
          X