Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust emergency

Hello Everybody

I need to know if there is some "magical" solution for dust spots.
    I have a series of photos with quite a lot of dust spots.
    What are the solutions?

1. Can the photos
    2. Use Brian's tutorial, Processing Tips and Tricks, and patiently use the clone or heal tools via equalize to remove the dust spots one by one
    3. A brand new approach that magically removes all dust spots - I hope..

Any help is most welcome

AFAIK, many cameras have a dust remove feature, which involves taking a "blank" photo to determine where the dust is, then removes this from all future frames. I'm not sure how successful it is. But you can consult your cameras manual.

Most dedicated camera shops offer sensor cleans, they can be a bit dear, but if you don't trust yourself they can be a good way to remove dust.
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Well Sam, yes I know that my Nikon D90 has a self-cleaning option.
      But I forgot to do that - though I cleaned my lens well.
      Now the damage is done. I have fine photos but they are riddled with spots.

I know how to clean a spot here and there but some photos have up to 9 or 10 spots. Cleaning them via traditional equalize and healing tool is quite a slow process.

Are there alternatives for a quick and snappy cleaning process - of the photos - not my camera...

Comment

Your only option for cleaning the pictures is the "tips and tricks" option. I've found that the self clean function on cameras is all well and good but all it does is move the dust. The dust is still in the camera and with a CCD being an electrically charged device it is bound to pick up the dust again.
        the best way to clear a CCD sensor is to use Eclipse cleaning fluid and swabs.
        Follow the instructions to the letter and it's really very easy.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by aceriana View Post
          Well Sam, yes I know that my Nikon D90 has a self-cleaning option.
          But I forgot to do that - though I cleaned my lens well.
          Now the damage is done. I have fine photos but they are riddled with spots.

I know how to clean a spot here and there but some photos have up to 9 or 10 spots. Cleaning them via traditional equalize and healing tool is quite a slow process.

Are there alternatives for a quick and snappy cleaning process - of the photos - not my camera...
          I wasn't talking about a self clean, this is taking a photo of a white bit of paper which then allows the camera to work out where the dust is. With Canon, you import it into DPP, then when working with your photos it uses this image to remove all dust. It's a 1 click operation to remove ALL dust, was't that what you were after? I'm not sure if Nikon has it, hence why I said, look in your manual.
          Last edited by Simpleboy; 2013-04-18, 05:21.
          Sam Rudge
          A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999
            8. Press F7 to open the Layers palette. Select the Background Layer by clicking on it.

9. Go to the Actions menu and select "New Action". Name this action "Spots Off". Set the function key to F2 but this time select the "Shift" check box. You will be using Shift+F2 to turn off the action set once you have fixed your spots.
            In Brian's tutorial for creating an action set in PS CS3 to allow for easy dust spot removal.... here is what I found for PS CS5.

Between the above mentioned points 8 and 9 - you have to STOP RECORDING. Then proceeed to point 9. This will create 2 separate actions one ON and one OFF. If you omit the STOP RECORDING - it is going to loop and not do anything.

This action set really does help a lot in dust spot removal.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              the best way to clear a CCD sensor is to use Eclipse cleaning fluid and swabs.
              Follow the instructions to the letter and it's really very easy.
              I use this as well. It is quite easy to use. You need good light and a steady hand. It can be done in under 15 minutes and it actually clears the dust from your camera as it will stick to the swab.

Roel.

Comment

Working...
              X