Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW Editing advice thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NEW Editing advice thread

    Use this thread if you need help with a rejection or have general questions about editing.

    All jp.net forum users are free to give advice.

    Posts should be helpful. Insulting other members is forbidden, not helpful posts will be deleted.
    My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
    My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
    ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

  • #2
    Hi!

    I need help regarding this photo:

    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5655567

    It has got oversharpening and bad color reject. Could you help me what the problem is with the color?
    The sharpening is almost nothing on the picture: Unsharp mask 300/0,2/2

    Thx

    Comment


    • #3
      If it's not one thing it's another ...

      Last time it was vignetting and now, it's good old JPEG compression artefacts.

      I've discussed this many times here and I am getting tired of it. I had hoped to get to the Big 4K with this latest batch but now I have several wasted photos ... I've observed all the advice given to me in the past about avoiding compression artefacts and I don't know what to do anymore. Is there any surefire way of avoiding them? Is it the card itself being over-used, the camera perhaps; it just keeps happening with frustrating regularity.

      Here, for your enjoyment, is some of those you've thrown away this evening:

      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5662970
      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5662961
      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5662960
      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5662957
      http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5662952

      What am I to do? Just start again from scratch?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by federbear View Post
        Hi!

        I need help regarding this photo:

        http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5655567

        It has got oversharpening and bad color reject. Could you help me what the problem is with the color?
        The sharpening is almost nothing on the picture: Unsharp mask 300/0,2/2

        Thx
        Looks like there is a cyan cast. The sharpening doesn't look too bad, a slight adjustment should be enough.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by akerosid View Post
          If it's not one thing it's another ...

          Last time it was vignetting and now, it's good old JPEG compression artefacts.

          I've discussed this many times here and I am getting tired of it. I had hoped to get to the Big 4K with this latest batch but now I have several wasted photos ... I've observed all the advice given to me in the past about avoiding compression artefacts and I don't know what to do anymore. Is there any surefire way of avoiding them? Is it the card itself being over-used, the camera perhaps; it just keeps happening with frustrating regularity.

          What am I to do? Just start again from scratch?
          This issue is almost certainly caused by one of two things (neither of which is related to the memory card): how you are shooting the images in camera, or how you are processing the images afterward. If you are shooting RAW, then it is all down to your processing and the images should be entirely salvageable. If, however, you are shooting only jpeg, and you have the settings turned to minimal quality in your camera, then there may not be much you can do.

          Would you care to share your image settings and processing workflow? With that, we should be able to pinpoint where you are going wrong.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
            This issue is almost certainly caused by one of two things (neither of which is related to the memory card): how you are shooting the images in camera, or how you are processing the images afterward. If you are shooting RAW, then it is all down to your processing and the images should be entirely salvageable. If, however, you are shooting only jpeg, and you have the settings turned to minimal quality in your camera, then there may not be much you can do.

            Would you care to share your image settings and processing workflow? With that, we should be able to pinpoint where you are going wrong.
            Hi and thanks, dlowwa. I must apologise for the tone of my message; I didn't mean it to come across quite as brusque as it did, but I really, really wanted that Finnair A350!!

            Anyway, I will do that, but when I get home - heading for work now!

            I always shoot JPEG; RAW never seems to work for me! However, I always opt for maximum quality in saving.

            Comment


            • #7
              Remember that each time you save a jpg, quality is lost. I shoot mostly jpgs for spotting (as I can usually accept missing a shot that I might have been able to salvage from RAW) but you need to be careful with your file management when working pure jpgs.

              So my workflow is:

              1. copy shots from SD card to PC
              2. open original file, do all my editing
              3. save at maximum quality

              If I need to make a small correction afterwards it is usually no problem to open the edited file once more, make changes and save it again. But I try to never save the same file more than twice. If I need another rework, I start with the original file.
              My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
              My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
              ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by akerosid View Post
                Hi and thanks, dlowwa. I must apologise for the tone of my message; I didn't mean it to come across quite as brusque as it did, but I really, really wanted that Finnair A350!!

                Anyway, I will do that, but when I get home - heading for work now!

                I always shoot JPEG; RAW never seems to work for me! However, I always opt for maximum quality in saving.
                Ok, if you're shooting at max quality in camera, then the problem is almost certainly with your workflow when processing. Max-quality jpegs from a D5300 should have no issue with compression if you're processing them correctly.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The majority of the compression is in the sky on all of the shots. It consists of a semi circular pattern of blocky pixellation which is very obvious. The best way to avoid this is to isolate the sky from your processing.
                  Try this....
                  1. Crop to size
                  2. Adjust the histogram as required.
                  3 Create a background layer.
                  4. Process as required.
                  5. Delete the sky. This will return the sky to its original unprocessed state apart from the histogram adjustment.
                  6. Save at highest resolution.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                    This issue is almost certainly caused by one of two things (neither of which is related to the memory card): how you are shooting the images in camera, or how you are processing the images afterward. If you are shooting RAW, then it is all down to your processing and the images should be entirely salvageable. If, however, you are shooting only jpeg, and you have the settings turned to minimal quality in your camera, then there may not be much you can do.

                    Would you care to share your image settings and processing workflow? With that, we should be able to pinpoint where you are going wrong.
                    My imagine settings are JPEG/FINE/Large; as we discussed recently, with another batch, the setting was for "P" and while this certainly contributed to vignetting, maybe it didn't help with the JPEG compression artefacts either?

                    The process is as follows:
                    1. Check that photo is the right size – crop and ensure it is centred (but I don’t re-size until just before I save)
                    2.Brightness and contrast – as required
                    3.Filter/sharpen/unsharp mask – as appropriate
                    4.Resize to 1024 x 7xx
                    5.Save as Date/reg/-jetph

                    (The recent batch was also put through the "de-vignetting" process, which seemed to work (using - on photoshop/Filter/Lens Correction").

                    Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by akerosid View Post
                      My imagine settings are JPEG/FINE/Large; as we discussed recently, with another batch, the setting was for "P" and while this certainly contributed to vignetting, maybe it didn't help with the JPEG compression artefacts either?

                      The process is as follows:
                      1. Check that photo is the right size – crop and ensure it is centred (but I don’t re-size until just before I save)
                      2.Brightness and contrast – as required
                      3.Filter/sharpen/unsharp mask – as appropriate
                      4.Resize to 1024 x 7xx
                      5.Save as Date/reg/-jetph

                      (The recent batch was also put through the "de-vignetting" process, which seemed to work (using - on photoshop/Filter/Lens Correction").

                      Thanks for any help/advice you can give!
                      I don't see anything in that process that jumps out as a potential problem, but if I had to guess, it would probably be in either steps 4 or 5. If you would like, contact me privately and I'lll take a look at one of your original files and put it through my usual workflow to see if I can't come up with a different result.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        USM in the newer version of photoshop has a noise reduction feature, which causes an effect that looks a lot like jpg compression, when overused.
                        My photo editing guide - updated and improved Feb. 2010
                        My Nikon D100,D200,D300, D800, D7200 basic spotting settings guide
                        ACIG - the best resource for military aviation information

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                          The majority of the compression is in the sky on all of the shots. It consists of a semi circular pattern of blocky pixellation which is very obvious. The best way to avoid this is to isolate the sky from your processing.
                          Try this....
                          1. Crop to size
                          2. Adjust the histogram as required.
                          3 Create a background layer.
                          4. Process as required.
                          5. Delete the sky. This will return the sky to its original unprocessed state apart from the histogram adjustment.
                          6. Save at highest resolution.
                          Hi Brian,
                          Thanks for this; is there a more detailed workflow that you could direct me to, which would give me some more guidance to what I'm actually doing. I have absolutely no idea of layers!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by akerosid View Post
                            My imagine settings are JPEG/FINE/Large; as we discussed recently, with another batch, the setting was for "P" and while this certainly contributed to vignetting, maybe it didn't help with the JPEG compression artefacts either?

                            The process is as follows:
                            1. Check that photo is the right size – crop and ensure it is centred (but I don’t re-size until just before I save)
                            2.Brightness and contrast – as required
                            3.Filter/sharpen/unsharp mask – as appropriate
                            4.Resize to 1024 x 7xx
                            5.Save as Date/reg/-jetph

                            (The recent batch was also put through the "de-vignetting" process, which seemed to work (using - on photoshop/Filter/Lens Correction").

                            Thanks for any help/advice you can give!
                            What settings do you use when saving?

                            The file sizes of the photos you upload are far too small for highest quality settings.
                            My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Hi,

                              Good day. Can I please get some help on these two rejects:

                              What should be used as a reference to level this shot - http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5671254

                              I am not sure if I made a mistake in the categories. I remember selecting the 'Small Prop' based on screener comments and 'Warbird/Vintage' - http://www.jetphotos.net/viewreject_b.php?id=5674148

                              Thanks in advance.

                              Regards,
                              Siddarth

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X