Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it of any use working in ProPhoto RGB space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it of any use working in ProPhoto RGB space?

Hello everybody!

Iím a relatively new member to the forum, Iíve been lurking around from a while now!

Iíd like to see if I can clear some doubts Iím having.
    Iím a beginner photographer, and have always shot in JPEG (found it much easier to start with). Thought it was time to move on to something else, so made my way in the RAW world.

Letís say I got lucky and took a pic that is not too bad. My biggest concern is about color space (read many articles about the argument, but I couldnít find out any clue).

When shooting in JPEG, I got my camera (Canon EOS 50D) set to sRGB, so it is Photoshop CS6. I know this color space is the default space for web purpose (like visualizing images).

Shooting in RAW, color space is a matter of post processing, since the camera does not register any space in this format (am I right?). So Iím to choose a space once I open ACR. Easiest choice would be sRGB again, so to avoid any RGB mismatch once the pic is then processed in PS. But to my understanding ProPhoto RGB looks like a better space to work with (better gamut).

My question is: what if I work with ACR and PS both set to ProPhoto RGB 16 bit, and once processing is done I switch to sRGB 8 bit and save (so I can upload pics to the web?). Is it of any use? Or Iím just making things harder?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Lorenzo

For up-loading to the web it is better to work in sRGB the whole time. And btw. it is very likely that your screen wonīt show ProPhoto RGB correctly.

Comment

I suggest you start with the color space you need at the end from the very beginning. There is no point in changing the color space at the end. Au contraire, it will f#ck up colors.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Thanks guys!

I can however work with sRGB at 16bit and then saving at 8bit, right?

Comment

Originally posted by VC10derness View Post
          Thanks guys!

I can however work with sRGB at 16bit and then saving at 8bit, right?
          Absolutely. For all intensive purposes, think of 16 bit as an 8 bit with way more information, its not till you get to 32 bit that software starts treating it differently to an 8 bit.
          Sam Rudge
          A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Working...
          X