X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hinkelbein
    replied
    Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    I used to use a Synchmaster T220. I had the brightness set to 75% as a minimum. Trouble is, different people's eyes work differently.
    And mine are getting worse

Leave a comment:

• Hinkelbein
    replied
    Originally posted by meneses24 View Post
    Could you please add the link of the picture in mention?

Thank you
    Oh, I am sorry. It is in the queue section, but I don't know if that is okay?

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Originally posted by Hinkelbein View Post
    First of all, thanks to the both of you for answering my questions.

I use a Samsung SyncMaster T220, with Brightness 40, Contrast 75.
    What would you say about these settings? Or does it not at all influence a workflow?

Maybe the mid tones were too dark because I had already adjusted them in the RAW versions. When I find the time and the mood again to upload some pics, I will.
    However, I am still puzzled somewhat. Having uploaded pictures since 2008, I never came across the term Luminosity when it comes to editing and uploading pics on this great website.

And I still have hundreds of pictures in stock, ranging from 2010 until 2016...

Cheers,

Hinkelbein
    I used to use a Synchmaster T220. I had the brightness set to 75% as a minimum. Trouble is, different people's eyes work differently.

Leave a comment:

• B7772ADL
    replied
    What would you say about these settings? Or does it not at all influence a workflow?

Cheers,

Hinkelbein
    We can't say anything about this selection of setting because different monitors vary widely and different manufacturers recommend different settings. The best thing to do is to use a dedicated calibration device. They aren't always cheap but if you are serious about your photography then they are necessary. My LG Colourprime was calibrated in the factory for photographic editing and has different modes depending on what you are doing with it at the time. After calibration there wasn't a massive change but it was noticeable. My old Dell monitor on the other hand was significantly different after calibration compared to the factory default.

Leave a comment:

• meneses24
    replied
    I have uploaded another picture in the queue. I don't know if it is technically possible, but could someone take a look at it and see if I have done it right this time? I still do not know if I really understand everything well.

Cheers,

Hinkelbein
    Could you please add the link of the picture in mention?

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Hinkelbein
    replied
    I have uploaded another picture in the queue. I don't know if it is technically possible, but could someone take a look at it and see if I have done it right this time? I still do not know if I really understand everything well.

Cheers,

Hinkelbein

Leave a comment:

• J.Louwen
    replied
    Ok guys clear now. I will study the sticky topic.
    Regards.

Leave a comment:

• LX-A343
    replied
    Originally posted by J.Louwen View Post
    I do have the same problems as Hinkelbein discribes.
    In my feeling the first time I read about the luninosity histogram was after the take over of the site by Flightradar.

Since then I had more rejections for darkness.

But also when I take a look at what has been approved in the datbase I see pictures that suprise me beeing accepted because visualy they are about the same as the one rejected in my case.
    To be honest, it is no fun anymore.
    Sorry.

Regards,
    J.Louwen (PlaneCatcher)
    We posted this sticky topic - in an attempt to help our uploaders - in 2014, way before the take over by FR24:
    Have a question about Photo Editing software (Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc.), improving your photos, etc.? Our crew of Photo Screeners is here to help you out!

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    In the past we said adjust the histogram, which is also still good enough for 95% of all cases, but there is always a small part for images, where the histogram used makes a difference. Luminosity shows only brightness, RGB show the distribution of colours. Inf you overdo it you can have a correct RGB histogram and a strong colour tint in your image. As some complained about them having adjusted the RGB histogram and still getting a rejection, we are now a bit more precise in maning the correct hsitogram version. Nothing more nothing less.

Leave a comment:

• Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    Hi,
    We started using the term luminosity histogram because it's more correct than histogram alone. But I can tell you that nothing has changed at all in terms of what we accept or not. As always, we're more than glad to help you solve these issues via the forum.

Regards
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• J.Louwen
    replied
    I do have the same problems as Hinkelbein discribes.
    In my feeling the first time I read about the luninosity histogram was after the take over of the site by Flightradar.

Since then I had more rejections for darkness.

But also when I take a look at what has been approved in the datbase I see pictures that suprise me beeing accepted because visualy they are about the same as the one rejected in my case.
    To be honest, it is no fun anymore.
    Sorry.

Regards,
    J.Louwen (PlaneCatcher)

Leave a comment:

• Hinkelbein
    replied
    First of all, thanks to the both of you for answering my questions.

Maybe the mid tones were too dark because I had already adjusted them in the RAW versions. When I find the time and the mood again to upload some pics, I will.
    However, I am still puzzled somewhat. Having uploaded pictures since 2008, I never came across the term Luminosity when it comes to editing and uploading pics on this great website.

And I still have hundreds of pictures in stock, ranging from 2010 until 2016...

Cheers,

Hinkelbein

Leave a comment:

• seahawk
    replied
    Nothing has changed and in the case of the rejected photos it makes little difference what histogram you use, because both show more or less the same problem, which is underexposure of the midtones. That is something which can be easily fixed using curves. To be honest I was a bit disappointed that an experienced and well respected up-loader did up-load a batch of photos which looked as if you never really looked at them and just adjusted the histogram to fit-

Leave a comment:

• LX-A343
    replied
    Hi,

I had not been on the website for a long time and I started uploading pictures again some two weeks ago.
    And... out of ten that were screened, I had eight rejections, all pics were "too dark".
    Then it came to my attention that suddenly we use the Luminosity graph instead of only RGB.
    So I read a little bit on how to follow this new procedure. But when I do follow it, my pics all became ugly as hell, pardon my French.
    All reality vanishes from them. When I focus on the Luminosity graph and I do as I should according to the rules, they become way too bright.

I also wonder: why?
    What was wrong with the RGB method?

I have withdrawn all other ten pics in the queue because they would certainly all have been "too dark".

Cheers,

Hinkelbein
    There seems to be a misconception here. We never "suddenly use the Luminosity graph instead of only RGB"mand we never made a rule out of it. We merely say since years to use the luminosity histogram to judge the contrast, while the RGB histogram giv s you hints about colour casts. If your photo has been rejected for beeing dark, then probably because they are. Check our photos in the db. Using your logic, they all should be too bright, but they aren't.

The only thing I can think of is, that maybe your monitor is not set up correctly. An easy way to check it, is to use a calibrating photo.

Cheers
    Gerardo

Leave a comment:

• Hinkelbein
    started a topic Dissappointed

Dissappointed

Hi,

I had not been on the website for a long time and I started uploading pictures again some two weeks ago.
    And... out of ten that were screened, I had eight rejections, all pics were "too dark".
    Then it came to my attention that suddenly we use the Luminosity graph instead of only RGB.
    So I read a little bit on how to follow this new procedure. But when I do follow it, my pics all became ugly as hell, pardon my French.
    All reality vanishes from them. When I focus on the Luminosity graph and I do as I should according to the rules, they become way too bright.

I also wonder: why?
    What was wrong with the RGB method?

I have withdrawn all other ten pics in the queue because they would certainly all have been "too dark".

Cheers,

Hinkelbein
Working...
X