Rejection help - Bad Colour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejection help - Bad Colour

Hi all, I'm needing some help regarding most of my rejections of late. The 'Bad Colour' rejection, and to a lesser extent, 'Bad Contrast' is causing me quite a bit of difficulty. These rejections have only appeared in the last year or so, and are slightly confusing bearing in mind my editing workflow hasn't changed during that time. My main question would be around the 'Bad Colour' rejection. Is the bad colour the same on every photo, i.e. too much cyan/blue etc etc. Or is the problem with Saturation? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Many Thanks, Rob

Originally posted by VH-ROB View Post
    Hi all, I'm needing some help regarding most of my rejections of late. The 'Bad Colour' rejection, and to a lesser extent, 'Bad Contrast' is causing me quite a bit of difficulty. These rejections have only appeared in the last year or so, and are slightly confusing bearing in mind my editing workflow hasn't changed during that time. My main question would be around the 'Bad Colour' rejection. Is the bad colour the same on every photo, i.e. too much cyan/blue etc etc. Or is the problem with Saturation? Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Many Thanks, Rob
    Would need to see some examples to say for certain, but usually it happens the white balance is set incorrectly, either from unusual light conditions, or shooting through glass. If I recall, most of your colour and contrast rejections were for the latter. Shooting through thick terminal glass will really wreak havoc with the color and contrast if you're not very careful. If you're going to be doing that kind of shooting, it's essential to shoot in RAW, so that you get full control of the white balance in editing. If not, you're rolling the dice the camera will get in right, and more often that not, with thick glass it does not.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      Would need to see some examples to say for certain, but usually it happens the white balance is set incorrectly, either from unusual light conditions, or shooting through glass. If I recall, most of your colour and contrast rejections were for the latter. Shooting through thick terminal glass will really wreak havoc with the color and contrast if you're not very careful. If you're going to be doing that kind of shooting, it's essential to shoot in RAW, so that you get full control of the white balance in editing. If not, you're rolling the dice the camera will get in right, and more often that not, with thick glass it does not.
      https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=5942499 is one of the more recent examples. Your correct in saying that I've been shooting through glass, however I can't see how this could be the problem as I have shot through glass regularly for the 4 or so years that I've been uploading. The white balance is set at auto, which I've also used the entire time I've been uploading. Another part of the problem I feel is that, to the naked eye, in the picture I've linked above, the colours look okay. What editing would be required to bring this up to scratch for the database? Thanks, Rob

Comment

Originally posted by VH-ROB View Post
        https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=5942499 is one of the more recent examples. Your correct in saying that I've been shooting through glass, however I can't see how this could be the problem as I have shot through glass regularly for the 4 or so years that I've been uploading. The white balance is set at auto, which I've also used the entire time I've been uploading. Another part of the problem I feel is that, to the naked eye, in the picture I've linked above, the colours look okay. What editing would be required to bring this up to scratch for the database? Thanks, Rob
        That one the colour doesn't actually look too bad I think. There's a slight green cast (typical when shooting through glass), and it seems a bit oversaturated, but I would not have rejected it for colour.

If you're shooting RAW, then the white balance setting in the camera doesn't really matter, as you can adjust it later when editing. If you're only shooting jpegs, as I said above, you're relying on the camera to guess the colour correctly, something that is often hard for it to do when shooting through tinted glass. Fixing the white balance on a jpeg is significantly more difficult to do than if you're working with a RAW file.

Comment

Working...
        X