rings around the subject

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rings around the subject

Hi, I realised that most of the photos taken at max focus (Canon 100-400 L mk i & ii ) have rings around the subject, as shown below (visible only when equalising the photo). No other photo processing was done. Can someone explain why this?
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BA6A4310_equalised.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	1044960

Originally posted by mckingtom View Post
    Hi, I realised that most of the photos taken at max focus (Canon 100-400 L mk i & ii ) have rings around the subject, as shown below (visible only when equalising the photo). No other photo processing was done. Can someone explain why this?
    Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8037[/ATTACH]
    If you're talking about that circular banding in the sky, I doubt it has anything to do with the lens, and is more likely related to processing. Try processing a RAW file with all settings to zero, and I doubt you will see it. My guess would be it's the effect of software-applied vignetting reduction (either in-camera or in post), especially if it's at the long end of the zoom range where vignetting tends to show up more.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      If you're talking about that circular banding in the sky, I doubt it has anything to do with the lens, and is more likely related to processing. Try processing a RAW file with all settings to zero, and I doubt you will see it. My guess would be it's the effect of software-applied vignetting reduction (either in-camera or in post), especially if it's at the long end of the zoom range where vignetting tends to show up more.
      Thank you, it must be the in-camera software. I suppose such an effect would be a reason for rejecting the photo?

Comment

Thank you, it must be the in-camera software. I suppose such an effect would be a reason for rejecting the photo?
        If it is easily visible, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
          If it is easily visible, yes.
          Easy visible in equalised photo or in normal view?

Comment

Easy visible in equalised photo or in normal view?
            Normal. If it's barely visible when equalized, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

Working...
            X