Radioactivity - Editing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to avoid halos?

I have nice photos to upload but my biggest problem is the halos visible in the photo. Is there a practical tutorial via youtube or how to remove them page? Thank you so much and peace!

Comment

Originally posted by Radioactivity View Post
      I have nice photos to upload but my biggest problem is the halos visible in the photo. Is there a practical tutorial via youtube or how to remove them page? Thank you so much and peace!
      You can't remove halos, you can only avoid them in the first place. They are usually caused by editing features such as de-haze, clarity, vibrance, and shadow/highlights. Avoid using any such editing tools, and you shouldn't see any halos.

Comment

I had this problem when I first started - so to avoid halos....

I use Lightroom...

1. Do not increase or decrease the HIGHLIGHT tool away from the zero level, but if you do need to, then only very little.
        2. Also the same for the shadow tool, and Texture and Clarity - do not move these sliders too far away from zero.

The settings above when moved away from zero will introduce halos into the aircraft edge.

Now, halos can be difficult to detect unless you know what you are looking for - they are very subtle....so, THIS is what halos looks like - a blackened area where the aircraft meets the sky as in this picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5317.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	669.0 KB
ID:	1041450
        To make halos easier to notice, then when you upload a picture to the upload queue, click on the CHECK FOR DUST button and any halos on the aircraft edge will be immediately noticable.

Now the key to this all is taking a good photo in the first place, with your camera set correctly. Always shot with the sun BEHIND you, and sun rays on the aircraft. Cloudy days generally do not give good photos for this website, so don't bother on cloudy days, as they mostly will get rejected - UNLESS there is a sudden break in the clouds and the sun shines directly on your aircraft when you hit the fire button - which can happen, but is is rare - see my photos below and count how many were with a cloudy sky...hardly any.

Your camera settings should be ISO 200-400 (I never go above 400 - if you have to go higher, then its too dark). ISO 200 for a sunny day (ISO 100 if a very bright clear day with no cloud in the sky) - and ISO 400 if its not so sunny, or getting late in the day when sun starting to go down.

Aim for f/8 - that is the optimum level, but even up to f/11 can work so that the whole aircraft will appear sharp. As for shutter speed, I find 1/640 or 1/800 works for most sunny situations.

IF your camera is set correctly for the shot, then you won;'t need to do too much post-editing - all you might need to do is bump up the contrast a little to make it look better, and perhaps adjust the white balance to give the tone of colour that you like best for the shot. You might also want to increase saturation but only a little to bump up the colours and make it look more radiant. Don't oversaturate the sky, (by increasing BLUE saturation too much), just increase it a little to make the sky look a
        bit punchier. You should also increase sharpening, Also if using ISO 400, then increase noise reduction to smooth out the grainy bits.

I only had my first upload back in November, and am now up to 80 photos in the database... so am a relative newbie myself, but this is what seems to work for me.

Link to my photos: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/125022

Comment

Hello, I apologize for the previous post (if possible I ask the administrators to delete it).

I would like to know the horizon of this photo is correct. Thank you and apologize again for what happened. Because I use the forum very little for editing.

Name:	HSK (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1081069

Comment

Hello, I apologize for the previous post (if possible I ask the administrators to delete it).

I would like to know the horizon of this photo is correct. Thank you and apologize again for what happened. Because I use the forum very little for editing.

Name:	HSK (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1081069
            Not to be rude, but it would be good to read those guidelines again:

https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...ning-from-crew

"A couple of general requests: if you get a rejection you don't agree with, better to come here and get advice before appealing, not after. There is not much incentive to help those who disregard advice or appeal before asking for it."

You've already appealed the rejection. I will warn you that whoever handled the appeal/rejection missed that there seems to a gradation in the sky - was it naturally darker near the top or is that a filter you have added in processing?

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Not to be rude, but it would be good to read those guidelines again:

https://forums.jetphotos.com/forum/a...ning-from-crew

"A couple of general requests: if you get a rejection you don't agree with, better to come here and get advice before appealing, not after. There is not much incentive to help those who disregard advice or appeal before asking for it."

You've already appealed the rejection. I will warn you that whoever handled the appeal/rejection missed that there seems to a gradation in the sky - was it naturally darker near the top or is that a filter you have added in processing?
              Hi!

I don't use filters. I just make adjustments to the original photo. I used F / 10 and ISO 100 in the photo. 99% of my photos I do by manual focus due to the use of catadioptric lenses. Obviously in this case I used an 18-55 from my XSi.

Comment

Hi!

I don't use filters. I just make adjustments to the original photo. I used F / 10 and ISO 100 in the photo. 99% of my photos I do by manual focus due to the use of catadioptric lenses. Obviously in this case I used an 18-55 from my XSi.
                In this case, I was simply enquiring if those 'adjustments' may have included darkening the sky, as it gets much darker in a very even manner, not typically seen when this effect is natural

Comment

I know that the helicopter is being "capped" by another part of an R44. However, the hangar I was in was extremely small and with only one possible angle. I couldn't have asked for the engine cover to be removed from the other R44, but I wouldn't have been polite. Any chances of acceptance?

Name:	LIO (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	1081343

Comment

I know that the helicopter is being "capped" by another part of an R44. However, the hangar I was in was extremely small and with only one possible angle. I couldn't have asked for the engine cover to be removed from the other R44, but I wouldn't have been polite. Any chances of acceptance?

Name:	LIO (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	1081343
                    Too much clutter unfortunately. Also soft, noisy, and motive for the people behind, so didn't really have a chance anyway.

Comment

Happy 2021 to all!

I wonder if this photo is likely to be uploaded in 1920 px? If not, what correction procedures should I do. On this day there was a storm in Campo de Marte and I took the opportunity to take a mirrored photo which is rare here. Thank you!

Name:	cherokee (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1106152

Comment

Happy 2021 to all!

I wonder if this photo is likely to be uploaded in 1920 px? If not, what correction procedures should I do. On this day there was a storm in Campo de Marte and I took the opportunity to take a mirrored photo which is rare here. Thank you!

Name:	cherokee (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1106152
                        Quality looks ok, but it is a bit bright so you'll need to keep an eye on the contrast/exposure.

Comment

Name:	CAK.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1128064

Hi guys, please ask for some help: This photo was rejected by Dark / Underexposed. I did a better whitening but I'm still in doubt and want to know if it will be accepted. Unfortunately the weather was very closed and I had a rare privilege to access the ramp.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi guys, please ask for some help: This photo was rejected by Dark / Underexposed. I did a better whitening but I'm still in doubt and want to know if it will be accepted. Unfortunately the weather was very closed and I had a rare privilege to access the ramp.
                            Unfortunately due to the overcast conditions, I don't think this is fixable.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Unfortunately due to the overcast conditions, I don't think this is fixable.
                              Oh, bad luck! I keep in my personal database. Thank you.

Comment

Name:	YTF.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	1128227

Hello, Is this photo accepted?

Thanks, and take care.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X