No announcement yet.

Nikon - Over Processing (DLighting OFF)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon - Over Processing (DLighting OFF)

Hi. I am a newbie at this and still learning.

I am using a Nikon D5600 + AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm

1. When photographing aircraft (especially white ones) against a clear blue sky, without doing any processing (shadow/highlight), I already get halos.
    Can you please advise me on how I can avoid getting these halos?
    Camera is set to D-Lighting OFF, everything else STD

I would prefer to shoot in JPG for the moment.
    I am using PIXLR online as my editor, yes it is not as great as Photoshop but at least it is free (....PS is costly )
    2. Any idea how I can reduce vignetting? I know it is caused by my lense >140mm but since I am new at this, was hoping you had some tricks up your sleeve.

I do hope you can help me out here as I am thoroughly enjoying this newfound hobby and would like to get better at it.

Regards
    Vick

Check the picture control settings. If Clarity is set to something other than 0, change it to 0.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
      Check the picture control settings. If Clarity is set to something other than 0, change it to 0.
      Thank you! Will give it a go.

PS: If my Clarity=0 and I still have halos...is there anything else I can do?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicknesh PS View Post
        2. Any idea how I can reduce vignetting? I know it is caused by my lense >140mm but since I am new at this, was hoping you had some tricks up your sleeve

Regards
        Vick
        Close down the aperture as much as possible. f/8 - f/10 should be ideal as vignetting tends to show more the wider the aperture is set.

Originally posted by Vicknesh PS View Post
        PS: If my Clarity=0 and I still have halos...is there anything else I can do?
        If you are not introducing them in editing, they must already be present from in-camera settings. Maybe you should post an example so we can see exactly what you are talking about.

Comment

Do you use one of the scene modes?

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
            Close down the aperture as much as possible. f/8 - f/10 should be ideal as vignetting tends to show more the wider the aperture is set.

If you are not introducing them in editing, they must already be present from in-camera settings. Maybe you should post an example so we can see exactly what you are talking about.
            Thank you for the suggestion, will try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
              Do you use one of the scene modes?
              Hi, scene mode is set to AUTO

Comment

You do not want to do this, as the camera selects a scene mode as it sees fit an some can create halos. You want to use P,S,A only.

P - camera set aperture and shutter speed as it sees fit
                A - you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed accordingly (check your auto ISO setting before and turn it off)
                S - you select the shutter speed, the camera selects the aperture accordingly (again turn auto ISO off)

In any cases you must check your ISO settings to achieve a decent shutter speed so that the pics are not blurry.

Comment

Evening

I have used Nikon from the start, got a D3000 and a D3300. As Seahawk noted in the above reply, the modes you want to be using are P, S, A. I personally use A (Aperture Priority) for nearly all of my photographs with S (Shutter Priority) being used for prop blur on turboprops. The F stop number you would normally, on a nice sunny day, be looking for about F7.1-F8 with an ISO OF 100-200. I would strongly recommend moving to RAW or NEF in a Nikon camera as this preserves much more detail and allows you to manipulate the image much better.

Hope this helps

Comment

hi.
                    Shoot in RAW and follow above advice about shooting modes. These cameras have .JPG because of ease of use/sharing, render previews, etc. But editing in RAW will get rid of halos, etc. The D5600 is a very versatile camera, take the most out of it by not limiting yourself to JPG shooting.

Also, make sure your export setting are full quality. you may try using Nikon's proprietary SW, Capture NX-D. I used it at the beginning and it worked fine for RAW. I am now using LR for versatility but Capture will do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                    X