Kyle McKinlay - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KyleMcKinlay View Post

That's a pity. Thank you for your opinion. For future reference, is the effect of glare mostly where the aircraft silhouette is not fully black, but rather lighter towards the nose?

Thanks again!
    Silhouettes generally work better when the sun is lower in the sky so the light is less harsh (more atmosphere blocking the light). Position of the aircraft itself to the sun doesn't matter as much.

Comment

• That's helpful. Thank you!

Comment

• Hello,

Could I please ask for some advice with this photo, particularly in regards to the slight banding in the sky please? I'm not sure how noticable it is, and if so, how best to fix it. I've had methods that have worked in the past, though they don't seem to be fixing this one.

Thank you!

Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Could I please ask for some advice with this photo, particularly in regards to the slight banding in the sky please? I'm not sure how noticable it is, and if so, how best to fix it. I've had methods that have worked in the past, though they don't seem to be fixing this one.
          Contrast very weak; if you're finding banding in the sky where there are fine gradations between colours, I find saving the raw file as a 16-bit uncompressed tif and editing that before converting to 8-bit jpeg as the final step usually eliminates it.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Contrast very weak; if you're finding banding in the sky where there are fine gradations between colours, I find saving the raw file as a 16-bit uncompressed tif and editing that before converting to 8-bit jpeg as the final step usually eliminates it.
            Thank you for the advice dlowwa! I shall keep that in mind. The sky isn't often very blue in Scotland, so I doubt it'll be an issue I have to bother with frequently I've dropped the blacks down on this image, perhaps there is an improvement? I wouldn't want to over darken the sky, but curious as to how you think this looks please?

Thank you
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the advice dlowwa! I shall keep that in mind. The sky isn't often very blue in Scotland, so I doubt it'll be an issue I have to bother with frequently I've dropped the blacks down on this image, perhaps there is an improvement? I wouldn't want to over darken the sky, but curious as to how you think this looks please?

Thank you
              Still weak contrast and banding visible. Weak contrast very likely due to the window, probably not much you can do about it.

Comment

Still weak contrast and banding visible. Weak contrast very likely due to the window, probably not much you can do about it.
                Thank you for taking the time to check again!

I still wasn’t too sure about the contrast, so had a look at some very similar photos already accepted onto the database, though couldn’t determine any significant difference myself. The wing ‘stands out’ to me and the local contrast still seems moderate. Perhaps I am focussing on something with the wrong viewpoint?

Thank you again!

Comment

• Hi there,

I recently had this image rejected for 'soft' and 'cut-off'. I think I've fixed the softness issue though I thought, given the motive of the moon shot, this crop would be acceptable. Could anyone please explain a little more please? I had seen similar 'moon crossing' shots accepted here where only part of the aircraft is shown. In some cases, these examples only showed part of a fuselage in front of the moon, similar to my case here.

Thank you for the feedback!

Kyle

Attached Files

Comment

Hi there,

I recently had this image rejected for 'soft' and 'cut-off'. I think I've fixed the softness issue though I thought, given the motive of the moon shot, this crop would be acceptable. Could anyone please explain a little more please? I had seen similar 'moon crossing' shots accepted here where only part of the aircraft is shown. In some cases, these examples only showed part of a fuselage in front of the moon, similar to my case here.

Thank you for the feedback!

Kyle
                    Aircraft is cut awkwardly. Better to include the whole frame.

Comment

• Hello, could I please have some feedback on this image?

Thanks,

Kyle.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello, could I please have some feedback on this image?

Thanks,

Kyle.
                        nice shot
                        Kind regards from Sydney
                        Charlie Chang

Comment

Hello, could I please have some feedback on this image?
                          Blurry, overprocessed. No chance it would be accepted.

Comment

Blurry, overprocessed. No chance it would be accepted.
                            Dana, thank you for your honesty.

Do you think there is any slight hope for 1200px? I've seen this style of photo pulled off before and thought that I'd give it a try. I'd be grateful for your advice when it comes to editing this style of image please!

Kyle

Attached Files

Comment

Dana, thank you for your honesty.

Do you think there is any slight hope for 1200px? I've seen this style of photo pulled off before and thought that I'd give it a try. I'd be grateful for your advice when it comes to editing this style of image please!

Kyle
                              Better at 1200, but I can still see the flaws, they're just a bit less obvious. Chances are slightly better, but I still wouldn't rate them as good.

Comment

Better at 1200, but I can still see the flaws, they're just a bit less obvious. Chances are slightly better, but I still wouldn't rate them as good.
                                Thank you again for the feedback. I'll do my best in future to try and avoid the overprocessing, but as you can imagine, the noise can get pretty bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X