WilliamN - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WilliamN View Post
    Thank you! How do I find those sharpening settings though?
    Oh Sorry, i used PS Elements 15 for sharpening, as i feel the LR sharpener makes the picture more grainy.
    But if you want, you can send me the original file and ill edit it with Elements.
    Best Regards from Germany,
    Julian S.​

Comment

Originally posted by Julian S. View Post
      Oh Sorry, i used PS Elements 15 for sharpening, as i feel the LR sharpener makes the picture more grainy.
      But if you want, you can send me the original file and ill edit it with Elements.
      I tried photoshop CC's smart sharpening on them. I used the 1280 jpegs exported from lightroom but I think Thomas has some compression artifacts on the sky after sharpening.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4778.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	725.8 KB
ID:	1031157

Name:	IMG_4493.jpg
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	1031156

Comment

I tried photoshop CC's smart sharpening on them. I used the 1280 jpegs exported from lightroom but I think Thomas has some compression artifacts on the sky after sharpening.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]19613[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]19612[/ATTACH]
        Both should be ok.

Comment

Can I get this one checked please I'm not sure if the shadows are ok. Thank you!

Name:	IMG_5360.jpg
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	1031263

Comment

Can I get this one checked please I'm not sure if the shadows are ok. Thank you!
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]19732[/ATTACH]
            Other than dust spot, just a touch soft.

Comment

I have a question about crops on these kinds of shots. The rules say between 4:3 and 3:2 are the tallest acceptable. What would be the best crop for this American when the top of the tail is cut off at 4:3?
              With the top cut off:

Name:	IMG_5546 SS.jpg
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	1031287
              Centered lower to include complete stabilizer:

Name:	IMG_5546-3 SS.jpg
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	1031288
              Cropped to 16:9 with the tail cut off:

Name:	IMG_5546 SS 16-9.jpg
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	1031289

Comment

I have a question about crops on these kinds of shots. The rules say between 4:3 and 3:2 are the tallest acceptable. What would be the best crop for this American when the top of the tail is cut off at 4:3?
                With the top cut off:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]19760[/ATTACH]
                Centered lower to include complete stabilizer:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]19762[/ATTACH]
                Cropped to 16:9 with the tail cut off:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]19763[/ATTACH]
                Second or third would be better.

Comment

How are these two? With the American I'm mostly concerned with the sharpening and with Norwegian I'm not sure if the color is ok. Thanks!

Name:	IMG_5546 final ss.jpg
Size:	467.8 KB
ID:	1031319

Name:	IMG_5877 ss3.jpg
Size:	572.0 KB
ID:	1031320

Comment

I need help with some rejections I got today; there were 6 that were rejected for color/hue. They all had the same reason except for Soft on a few and the screener's comments all said the same thing: please use sRGB color profile. I checked the EXIF data on shots from that day and they were mixed between ICC Profile and sRGB. I need help finding out why some of them switched to ICC since I have always shot in sRGB on my camera and its never been a problem until now.

I've started a new editing process as follows. I do all my color/light/etc. adjustments in Lightroom classic and then select Edit In Photoshop CC 2019. I resize the .DNG file to 1280 and use smart sharpening. I then select Save As and save them as JPEGs at max quality (12). Previously I exported right from Lightroom as 1280 but sharpening became an issue, hence the new process involving photoshop. I have several photos uploaded with that exact process (from the same day/hour) but for some reason, now, some of the files have been saved as ICC and some as sRGB. I don't know where in the process they change but I suspect it has something to do with Photoshop.

Here is one of the rejections https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6969085

EDIT: I also checked through my queue and it was all mixed between ICC and sRGB. I removed the ICC shots. A photo I appealed turned out to be in Prophoto RGB and not sRGB.
                    Last edited by WilliamN; 2018-12-05, 09:47. Reason: More info

Comment

I need help with some rejections I got today; there were 6 that were rejected for color/hue. They all had the same reason except for Soft on a few and the screener's comments all said the same thing: please use sRGB color profile. I checked the EXIF data on shots from that day and they were mixed between ICC Profile and sRGB. I need help finding out why some of them switched to ICC since I have always shot in sRGB on my camera and its never been a problem until now.

I've started a new editing process as follows. I do all my color/light/etc. adjustments in Lightroom classic and then select Edit In Photoshop CC 2019. I resize the .DNG file to 1280 and use smart sharpening. I then select Save As and save them as JPEGs at max quality (12). Previously I exported right from Lightroom as 1280 but sharpening became an issue, hence the new process involving photoshop. I have several photos uploaded with that exact process (from the same day/hour) but for some reason, now, some of the files have been saved as ICC and some as sRGB. I don't know where in the process they change but I suspect it has something to do with Photoshop.

Here is one of the rejections https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6969085

EDIT: I also checked through my queue and it was all mixed between ICC and sRGB. I removed the ICC shots. A photo I appealed turned out to be in Prophoto RGB and not sRGB.
                      I've heard that Adobe's recent updates for Photoshop have been resetting the color profile to default ( Adobe RGB 1998 ), but haven't heard of ProPhoto being set as a result. We have as a result seen a larger number of incorrect color profiles recently because of this. It'll be up to you to figure out where exactly in the process the wrong profile is being assigned, but I would assume it's usually in the conversion from raw to jpeg or import/export to different editing suites processes that the issue is occurring.

Comment

I found where Prophoto is being selected. It is checked by default in the Save As screen in photoshop. There's no other option for it other than leaving it unchecked. This is what it looks like:

Name:	Screenshot (3).jpg
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	1031625 (looks like the screenshots sent in horrible quality. Uploaded to imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/VWz0QPA)
                        Exporting with the box unchecked produces an image with the colors a lot different (muted) than they should be.

I tried using Export As instead which looks like this:

Name:	Screenshot (4).jpg
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1031626 (imgur link: https://imgur.com/6Z0AlNl)
                        With that configuration in the screenshot I get this:

Name:	IMG_8475 for forum EXPORTAS convert selected no embed.jpg
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	1031627
                        Would this be ok or would I need to select Embed Color Profile/Deselect Convert To sRGB? I'm open to suggestions for different editing processes if that shot doesn't work
                        Last edited by WilliamN; 2018-12-06, 02:18. Reason: Screenshot fix

Comment

Would this be ok or would I need to select Embed Color Profile/Deselect Convert To sRGB? I'm open to suggestions for different editing processes if that shot doesn't work
                          This one has no issues with the color profile.

Comment

Is this shot ok? Thank you!

Name:	IMG_9063 prescreen.jpg
Size:	643.1 KB
ID:	1031720

Comment

Working...
                            X