Paul Stam - editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Vinicius,

Thanks for your reply. I looked to the histogram and adjust the sliders a bit. I hope it is better now.
    I think the problem is that screeners rely to much on the histogram, I think you must screen with your eyes in the fist place. At least that is what I do. I hardly use the histogram, because when I do the photos ar not the same anymore with the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Stam View Post
      I think the problem is that screeners rely to much on the histogram, I think you must screen with your eyes in the fist place.
      I wouldn't go making sweeping statements like that without actually knowing what goes on behind the scenes. I personally use the histogram for screening only in situations where I'm not sure, so maybe 5-10% of the time, and then it's only as a tool in the process of making decision, not the actual decision maker. That being said, the histogram is a pretty reliable tool so I would definitely suggest incorporating it into your workflow.

As for this specific rejected image, you don't really need to use the histogram to see the sky is blown out while the subject (building) is dull and washed out. I think your problem is really just you expecting too much from images shot in less than ideal conditions, and then getting frustrated when they eventually get rejected. If you can realize that these less than ideal conditions are not as conducive to getting images accepted, and then lower your expectations for the screening results, perhaps your frustration will also subside

Comment

I still have one question: What is the meaning of "the subject is washed out". I searched in a dictionairy to "to wash out", but could not find a meaning in relation to photos.

Comment

I still have one question: What is the meaning of "the subject is washed out". I searched in a dictionairy to "to wash out", but could not find a meaning in relation to photos.
          Hey Paul, the expression "washed out" is an adjective used when describing something faded in color and has become muted in a scenario. Is like other parts of the photo get more attention than the principal subject. In your photo the sky, principal the left side, has an expressive overexposed area, so the principal subject [building] become "washed out". I have many washed out photos haha I took some good ones in Faro, with vortex, contrails and all cool stuff but in bad conditions so I not able to get a good edition to upload here. But for sure it was amazing to photograph and save the photos in my Personal Collection!

Vinicius

Comment

And again a rection for contrast. I appealed but it was rejected again without any comment . (Sadly).
            What is wrong and what to do to make the photo acceptable.

Comment

And again a rection for contrast. I appealed but it was rejected again without any comment . (Sadly).

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewreject_b.php?id=6252155
              Hey

I would say it´s unfixable, sorry.
              The background is very bright and the airplane it self have no rays of sun on it.

From the Guidelines:
              5.2 Contrast

If a photo is rejected for "contrast" it means that the difference between the dark and the light areas of the picture are either too high (high contrast) or too low (low contrast). Before appealing a shot or if you are unsure, check the histogram and you will be able to identify, if there is a lack of highlights/shadows or if there is too much of them.

Please note that photos taken in bad weather conditions are likely to be rejected for contrast reasons, unless the weather aspect adds something to the photo. Just like on this photo where the bad weather isn't adding anything to the photo https://cdn.jetphotos.com/custom/044-badweather.jpg
              Hope this will help you. Have a nice Christmas!
              Best Regards from Germany,
              Julian S.​

Comment

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewreject_b.php?id=6252155

The sky is quite bright against the dark aircraft. Difficult shooting conditions though. I'd also say it looks soft/blurry to me also.

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

Comment

This one was also rejected: Undersharpened (Soft) Part of aircraft cut off Too much or too little contrast

I agree with the two reasons and shall not upload the photo again. But again the contrast. It seems to be the story of my life. What is wrong this time with the contrast. The colors are real, all is clearly visible.

And please, judge with your eyes and not with the histogram (terror histogram). Photos are seen by eyes. And when I look to this photo (with both of my eyes) it is for me a good photo.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

This one was also rejected: Undersharpened (Soft) Part of aircraft cut off Too much or too little contrast

I agree with the two reasons and shall not upload the photo again. But again the contrast. It seems to be the story of my life. What is wrong this time with the contrast. The colors are real, all is clearly visible.

And please, judge with your eyes and not with the histogram (terror histogram). Photos are seen by eyes. And when I look to this photo (with both of my eyes) it is for me a good photo.

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6261004
                      Judging with my eyes, as with your other rejections, the light is again simply very poor. No need to check the histogram to see that. I can tell whether an image will be rejected for contrast 9 times out of 10 within seconds of looking at it, and 9 times out of 10, the histogram is not used, so blaming over-reliance on the histogram for your screening results is really pointless, sorry to say.

Comment

not centered?

This one was rejected. Reason: Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered)

What is exactly wrong and what to do.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This one was rejected. Reason: Bad Composition (bad framing / aircraft not centered)

What is exactly wrong and what to do.
                          Paul,

This one is too low in frame. See the image attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 15.17.04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1028829

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Vinicius

Comment

Thank you for your advice.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Overexposed Too much or too little contrast

What to do to improve this photo? It is rejected without any comment and my appeal was also rejected without comment. The photo seems to be overexposed and too much or too little contrast.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nobody????

Comment

Working...
                                X