Paul Stam - editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Stam View Post
    What to do to improve this photo? It is rejected without any comment and my appeal was also rejected without comment. The photo seems to be overexposed and too much or too little contrast.
    As with many of your museum images from that day, the exterior windows are completely blown out, leaving part of the frame massively overexposed, and the rest a dull, washed out grey.

Comment

And then this one. Rejected. This has also been rejected for the contrast. But the plane is still good to see and the colors are also good. So what do I have to do to make it acceptable.

And another one, Bright colors. And yet the rejection reason is: poor contrast. But what is exactly wrong???
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Paul Stam; 2018-07-29, 21:13.

Comment

They both look dark to me, probably due to poor light. The Pegasus also looks oversharpened imo.

Comment

contrast

What is exactly wrong with this one:

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

And what to do to improve it?

Comment

And this one. Contrast??? and bad motive. What is wrong.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

And this one. Also contrast. It looks fine to me. No explanation from the screener.

I judge with my eye and I am not using the histogram. Visitors of JP see this photos with their human eyes and not with the histogram.

Comment

Visitors want to see nice pics, unfortunately those shots all are too dull due to poor light.
                You say you don't use the histogram, well that's unfortunate because it's the best way to understand light on a picture and the most basic tool for any photographer. It's a bit like saying "Customers in a restaurant don't want to know the recipe so why would the cook use one ?" Sure I don't need to know the recipe but food needs to be good. And to make a good meal a cook needs to use a recipe....
                Imho it's all about being more selective with your uploads. Not everything should be uploaded to JP, there's many other options there to share your pics.
                And about the motive rejection, it's because of the recognizable people in the background. Unfortunately with the new european laws about copyright, we have no choice but to be strict. Also note that the noise on this shot isn't acceptable.

Kind Regards
                Alex

Comment

Alex,
                  Thank you for your answer. I only wonder: what is dulll? The word does not appear in the guidelines. It is a subjective concept. If a photo has few colors and too little contrast and is underecposed, then I agree that it is dull. But my photos have a lot of contrast and bright colors. Only the sun does not shine anymore. It is not the intention that only sunny photos are acceptable, I hope. I have shown my pictures to others on this day, but nobody thinks they are dull. But those people also looked with their eyes without seeing a histogram.
                  I also know that I will never win this discussion.

Comment

Paul,
                    I do understand the frustration and yes, non-sunny shots are harder to get accepted. In case of bad weather you need to find other solution, like a dark background, doing close ups and so on. If you look at the T-28, the bright white sky is unfortunately totally killing your chances because it produces a lot of backlit light and a large part of the picture shows that sky. The paint colors of that T-28 also doesn't help. Again I think it goes back to making choices of what to upload or not. Sometimes I feel like you think that JP can be used like your personal database because you seem to be uploading pretty much everything you get but it's not. B being more selective, your portfolio would look better, your acceptance ratio would go up and you would help the crew because it's always easier for us to screen nice shots that borderline, not so good pics.

Alex

Comment

Thanks Alex,
                      I keep it in mind.

Comment

It is desperate, again there is a photo of me rejected with the cause: "Too much or too little contrast". I have many rections for contrast. I don't see the problem and have asked for clarification on this forum several times, but it has never been explained to me what is wrong. I appealed this photo and received this in reply: "we also judge it with our eyes, not seeing what your point is, obviously you have a different standard than jp, this one was correctly rejected".
                        Well that is very helpful, pfffff.
                        Is there anyone who can clearly explain to me what is wrong with this photo and what I have to do to improve it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	111-0219-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	1035563

Comment

Hello,

Please read here thoroughly, especially #4:

Your previous thread:

Thank you.

Please post any further requests in the same thread, whether a week, a month, or even months later.

I knew that, but I could no longer find my thread in the huge list, with only the titles "editing advice". instead of a topic that needs advice. Very difficult.

Comment

Hello,

Your previous thread:

Thank you.

Please post any further requests in the same thread, whether a week, a month, or even months later.

I knew that, but I could no longer find my thread in the huge list, with only the titles "editing advice". instead of a topic that needs advice. Very difficult.
                            Just click on your username on top of this forum page and you can find your latest actions here, when everything goes well also your thread.

Comment

Hello,

Your previous thread:

Thank you.

Your browser almost certainly has a function called a 'bookmark' or something where you can save this page for future use. I suggest you 'bookmark' this page so you can find it easily again in the future.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I have saved this page in my browser and it works very well.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X