X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkLawrence View Post

Dana - a question - I am guessing from raw/dng to 16-bit TIFF right?
    Yes, RAW -> 16-bit TIFF -> editing -> downsizing (usually 1600pix for me) -> convert to 8-bit -> save as jpeg -> upload.

As I said, a bit cumbersome, so only done on certain images. Otherwise, much simpler RAW -> 8-bit jpeg -> editing -> downsize -> upload.

It's the 16-bit vs. 8-bit that makes the difference.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10676481 -> subtle shift in brightness in the sky, so started with a 16-bit TIFF

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/10652851 -> uniform color/brightness in sky, so straight to jpeg

Leave a comment:

• MarkLawrence
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

Best solution I've found is to start with a 16-bit TIFF and do all my editing on that, downsize to 1600-1280 whatever, then save as a jpg.
    Dana - a question - I am guessing from raw/dng to 16-bit TIFF right?

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by Majky737 View Post
    Hello,

I want to ask for advice about these two rejects:

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Is the problem in sky? Is it compression or somehow noise problem?
    Thank you.

Marian
    Compression/blotchiness in the sky. In my experience it has to do with how software deals with color/brightness gradients in the sky when compressing large resolution jpgs. It tends to make the areas where there are gradients look blotchy or blocky. Best solution I've found is to start with a 16-bit TIFF and do all my editing on that, downsize to 1600-1280 whatever, then save as a jpg. There is a noticeable difference in the sky when following that workflow, but it's a bit more tedious so I only do it for images where you see big changes in color/brightness in a clear sky.

Leave a comment:

• 787Dream
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkLawrence View Post
    I have had this problem too (check for dust option on JP) - and - yes - it is the sky .. but.. I started to question my camera sensor too - mine was on a Nikon D3.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.08.53 PM.png
Views:	75
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	1145087
    Same. I have been battling this issue in some of my photos. You have any advice other than requesting JP to accept PNGs? I did set the quality to 12 and don't know what I can do to make it better.

Leave a comment:

• MarkLawrence
    replied
    I have had this problem too (check for dust option on JP) - and - yes - it is the sky .. but.. I started to question my camera sensor too - mine was on a Nikon D3.

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 12.08.53 PM.png
Views:	75
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	1145087

Leave a comment:

• Majky737
    replied
    Hello,

I want to ask for advice about these two rejects:

Is the problem in sky? Is it compression or somehow noise problem?
    Thank you.

Marian

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hello,

few days ago we have discussed ramp photo from KEWR regarding horizont. I have submitted edited photo but have received reject due horizont again:

Now I don't know how to adjust horizont to finally resolve this issue. Any advice is more than welcome.

Thank you
    Marian
    Apparently a little CCW needed. I disagree, but so it goes

Leave a comment:

• Majky737
    replied
    Hello,

few days ago we have discussed ramp photo from KEWR regarding horizont. I have submitted edited photo but have received reject due horizont again:

Now I don't know how to adjust horizont to finally resolve this issue. Any advice is more than welcome.

Thank you
    Marian

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Hello,

today, I have received this reject due to JPEG compression in sky:

I have took another picture and made a new edit. Can you prescreen new one and judge if it is somehow better or not?
    A bit better, though I think the problem might be noise rather than compression.

Leave a comment:

• Majky737
    replied
    Hello,

today, I have received this reject due to JPEG compression in sky:

I have took another picture and made a new edit. Can you prescreen new one and judge if it is somehow better or not?

Thank you for your time.

Name:	EC-MFE_III.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	585.3 KB
ID:	1143729

Leave a comment:

• wkd001
    replied
    What I normally do in these cases is using a building in the center of the photo and take the vertical references of that building. In your case, the hangar in the upper center of the photo. Nice shot btw.

Leave a comment:

• Majky737
    replied

This one looks like the best balance to me.
    Thank you. I will give it a try. I apology again for taking your time, but I think I will not fix it without your help.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

I am sorry. I have some difficult times to find horizont level on this one. So I have tried to slope the horizont by 0.5 degree. Do you think the result is somehow better or still need more CCW rotation? I do not want to overshoot it again.
    This one looks like the best balance to me.

Leave a comment:

• Majky737
    replied

Don't see much difference between this one and rejected version
    I am sorry. I have some difficult times to find horizont level on this one. So I have tried to slope the horizont by 0.5 degree. Do you think the result is somehow better or still need more CCW rotation? I do not want to overshoot it again.

Thank you
    M.

Name:	KEWR_III.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	800.6 KB
ID:	1143086

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied

Thank you. I think I found correct leveling. I have added only minimum angle to original image and when I compare all three edits, this one looks that it might be leveled well. I must admit, it is somehow hard to me to find correct leveling on this one, even there are many verticals as references.
    Don't see much difference between this one and rejected version

Leave a comment:

Working...
X