Brenden - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brenden - Editing Advice

In the whole time of uploading to JP, I have never had so many rejections (40) and as an ex screener I am shocked. Pretty much they have all been rejected for contrast. So to my fellow photographers can you please point me in the right direction. I have included the uploaded image and the unedited images.Click image for larger version

Name:	4R-ADC_1_bgs13_VHHH_04Mar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	1045182Click image for larger version

Name:	SL1.jpg
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	1045183

Click image for larger version

Name:	N851GT_1_bgs13_VHHH_04Mar.jpg
Size:	511.0 KB
ID:	1045180Click image for larger version

Name:	Giant1.jpg
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1045181
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Brenden S View Post
    In the whole time of uploading to JP, I have never had so many rejections (40) and as an ex screener I am shocked. Pretty much they have all been rejected for contrast. So to my fellow photographers can you please point me in the right direction. I have included the uploaded image and the unedited images.[ATTACH=CONFIG]12343[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12344[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12341[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]12342[/ATTACH]
    Quite simply the contrast is really poor. Given the conditions apparent in the originals, I'm even a little surprised you were even able to come up with what you did for the uploaded versions. Still, the contrast is too poor for the current standards (I guess different from when you were a screener? Maybe slowly migrating upwards, since there's been no conscious change in the few years that I've been here), and I'm not surprised at all by the rejections.

I don't think you can really be 'pointed in the right direction' for editing advice; I think the advice would instead need to concern being aware of the conditions you are shooting in, and the limitations they might cause should you hope to upload images taken in them.

Comment

These were taken back in 2013, thus why I am going through and editing them now. I gave it a good crack in editing them, however I am finding that the screening standards are becoming higher. Is the same rule of thumb applied to years gone by ie like film and early digital?

Comment

Brenden, nothing has changed in terms of standards, 2013 was like yesterday and these planes suffer from a very common issue at Hong Kong, the terrible contrast due to poor light.

Merry Xmas

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Brenden S View Post
          These were taken back in 2013, thus why I am going through and editing them now. I gave it a good crack in editing them, however I am finding that the screening standards are becoming higher. Is the same rule of thumb applied to years gone by ie like film and early digital?
          As Alex said, there has not been much in the way of changes to standards for quality since 2013. If you're looking for leniency for older shots, again as Alex says, 2013 hardly qualifies as 'years gone by'. Standards start to become more lax for images predating the advent of mass digital photography, so basically ~ 2004-2005 and earlier.

Comment

Cheers gents and Merry Christmas to you both and Happy new year.

Comment

Hi all, has JP now become a blue sky only photo site?
              I had this rejected for too much/little contrast. On appeal I got this message back. Contrast due to poor light caused by overcast conditions.
              VH-ZPT_1_bgs19_YPPH_23May by Brenden Scott, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
              X