Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max Schwartz - editing advice (Improving my photo quality)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Schwartz - editing advice (Improving my photo quality)

Something I have noticed with all of my photos is that almost all of them are blurry. I was wondering if there were any ways or methods that could fix this problem. Here are some photos of mine.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Max Schwartz View Post
    Something I have noticed with all of my photos is that almost all of them are blurry. I was wondering if there were any ways or methods that could fix this problem. Here are some photos of mine.
    These look more just really soft than blurry. With proper editing, the first two could probably be made acceptable for here, since not much cropping is needed.

As for why they're so soft, without seeing the exif (it's been stripped from these images), I'd bet it's related to your lens - either the settings used, the quality of the lens itself, or most likely a combination of both.

Comment

I use a Canon Rebel T6 with a 75-300 lense and I shoot with the "sports" mode.

Comment

I use a Canon Rebel T6 with a 75-300 lense
        While not necessarily the sharpest lens, it should be good enough if used recognizing its limits.

I shoot with the "sports" mode.
        That doesn't tell me anything about the specific settings for the images above. You'll need to post the exif if you want more feedback.

Comment

Exif for the southwest picture.
          F-stop: f/5
          Exposure time 1/1250 sec.
          ISO speed: ISO-125
          Exposure Bias: 0 step
          Focal length: 155mm

Exif for the United Picture
          Exposure time: 1/1000 sec.
          ISO speed: ISO-100
          Exposure bias: 0 step
          Focal Length: 125mm

Comment

Exif for the southwest picture.
            Exposure time 1/1250 sec.
            ISO speed: ISO-125
            Exposure Bias: 0 step
            Focal length: 155mm

Exif for the United Picture
            Exposure time: 1/1000 sec.
            ISO speed: ISO-100
            Exposure bias: 0 step
            Focal Length: 125mm
            Yeah, I thought your aperture was probably going to be wide open. Try stopping down the aperture a bit (around f/8 - f/9 should be good enough), and you'll likely see an improvement in sharpness since lenses tend to be softer wide open, especially entry-level models.

Comment

Ok, if I went spotting during the golden hour, what should my shutter speed be?

Comment

Ok, if I went spotting during the golden hour, what should my shutter speed be?
                That depends: is the object moving? Distance? Aperture? Best tip for beginner:
                - set your camera to AV mode (for Canon. Don't know the name for other brands)
                - f/8
                - speed more or less = 1 / focal length
                - play around with ISO

See what you get and improve from there
                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Is there a specific number that I should set my ISO on? Or can I just leave it on auto?

Comment

Is there a specific number that I should set my ISO on? Or can I just leave it on auto?
                    Don't take this the wrong way, but you should probably start with a review of photography basics. Read up here about the Exposure Triangle so you have a good idea what aperture, ISO, and shutter speed mean, and how changing one will affect the others, as well as the quality of your images.

Hopefully after reading up a bit, you will see why Geri recommended shooting in AV (aperture priority). At that point, come back if you have any more specific questions. Telling you what ISO to use is kind of pointless if you don't know why, or how that will affect your images

Comment

Best keep your ISO as low as possible. The higher the ISO, the more noise you get.

Your first two shots in your first post are good starts, however the second too are probably too far away to get the best of. You always want to be as close to the subject as your lens will allow to get the most of your camera rather than cropping in so far.

I agree with the other guys, ideal settings on your usual bright sunny days are F8.0/ISO100 and a shutter speed of somewhere around the 1/640-1/800 mark ensuring you're paying close attention to keeping your lens steady and focused.

We look forward to seeing your improvements

Cheers

Comment

Here are a couple of shots from today. Click image for larger version

Name:	N711FR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1021891 Click image for larger version

Name:	N808AE.jpg
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	1021892Click image for larger version

Name:	N711FR.jpg
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1021891Click image for larger version

Name:	N151GJ.jpg
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	1021893

Comment

Here are a couple of shots from today. [ATTACH=CONFIG]13194[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13195[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13196[/ATTACH]
                          These are all very dark/backlit, so are probably not worth editing for upload. If possible, it's best to shoot when the sun is clearly at your back.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9 A321.jpg
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	1022253 So this picture still looks soft even though my aperture is f/8, exposure is 1/400 and my ISO is 100, and my focal length was only 75mm I don't understand why the photo still looks soft even though I have been changing the settings. I'm starting to think it has to do with the lense itself.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13617[/ATTACH] So this picture still looks soft even though my aperture is f/8, exposure is 1/400 and my ISO is 100, and my focal length was only 75mm I don't understand why the photo still looks soft even though I have been changing the settings. I'm starting to think it has to do with the lense itself.
                              Yes, it could very well be your lens. Truth be told, with better light, it's actually probably sharp enough to get a decent 1200pix edit out of, but at larger resolutions you would start to see the inherent softness in the image.

Comment

Working...
                              X