X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LX-A343
    replied
    Originally posted by bbrz View Post
    Since the photos are being screened anyway, why do I have to post rather small 1280 photos where a lot of detail is being lost? After how many photos do I get this dubious 'upgrade'?
    1. So if photographers like Charles Brown and Norman Pealing would upload their photos you would restrict them, force them to upload small/low quality photos and consider them and everyone else beginners? This doesn't make sense to me.
    That tells me, that you really should get the basics first. As shown above, photo size doesn't have anything at all to do with quality on web.

Leave a comment:

• MarkLawrence
    replied
    If I am a Captain I'm going to apply as a Captain and not as a Copilot at another airline!
    To use your analogy, you had to start somewhere to become a captain - you think an airline is just going to take you at your word that you were a captain somewhere else without checking some things out first? Everything else has been said by others.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    I don't understand the initial upload limit of 1280 pixels.
    Since the photos are being screened anyway, why do I have to post rather small 1280 photos where a lot of detail is being lost? After how many photos do I get this dubious 'upgrade'?
    Can I re-upload the 1280 photos at a 'normal' 1920 size after received this upgrade? Do I get some kind of info once this limit is being cancelled?
    Such a strange restriction doesn't exist e.g. at airliners.net.
    1. I don't understand the initial upload limit of 1280 pixels..... We don't know you or your capabilities. As an unknown to us you need to prove yourself first.

2. After how many photos do I get this dubious 'upgrade'?..... After between 50 - 100 successful uploads with a minimum 50% acceptance ratio.

3. Can I re-upload the 1280 photos at a 'normal' 1920 size after received this upgrade?.....No. Reuploads must be a better processed version of the same frame at the original upload size.

4. Such a strange restriction doesn't exist e.g. at airliners.net..... Jetphotos.com is not Anet.

....and finally. Images uploaded at 1920 px must be perfect with no flaws at all.
    Last edited by brianw999; 2018-06-27, 10:26.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Just a little note...The maximum allowable width for a new member is 1280 pixels in 3:2 (1280x853 pixels), 4:3 (1280x960 pixels) and 16:9 (1280x720 pixels) formats. It is quite possible to achieve perfectly good images at those sizes as many others have done and continue to do.
    1280 is not low resolution, it is a smaller size. Resolution is the number of pixels per inch which can be applied equally to 1280 and 1920 wide images.

Here's an example from 10 years ago taken using a 10mpx Nikon D80 and reduced to 1200 px wide at a resolution of 300 pixels/inch.

Biggin Hill Airfair 2008. Resplendant in its 2008 display season British Eagle colour scheme.. G-APSA. Douglas DC-6A Liftmaster. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

And here's a modern day 1280 pixel image .. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8990169

...and finally... an image at 1024 px. https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8990196

So, you can see that perfectly good results can still be got at smaller sizes.
    Last edited by brianw999; 2018-06-27, 10:24.

Leave a comment:

• bbrz
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
    When you start a sport, nobody makes you play in the big Leagues immediately, you first need to prove yourself in little or minor leagues. It's the same here.
    …..letting you upload at 1920 would just be a waste of time for you and us.
    I don't know why you are comparing apples and oranges. What makes you assume that someone who is trying to upload photos here is a beginner or 'starting asport'?
    As mentioned above.If I am a Captain I'm going to apply as a Captain and not as aCopilot at another airline! If there would be no screeners I wouldunderstand if you wouldn't want to waste precious space with bigawful photos.
    And we aren't eventalking about RW airline business but a simple photo website!
    I have no idea whyscreening of 1200 pixel photos is no waste of time, but 1900 is….

Anyway, all the bestwith your website in the future

Leave a comment:

• Alex - Spot-This !
    replied
    For your info : this is taken from Anet guideline :
    High resolution images show more flaws than low resolution images. We therefore advise everyone to upload images at 1024 or 1200 pixels wide. Uploading higher resolutions (with a maximum of 1600 pixels wide) should only be done with very high quality images and sufficient editing experience

When you start a sport, nobody makes you play in the big Leagues immediately, you first need to prove yourself in little or minor leagues. It's the same here.
    If you can achieve good images at 1920 then it should be NO problem to upload great shots at 1280. If you can't then it shows that you still have a lot of things to learn and that letting you upload at 1920 would just be a waste of time for you and us.

Regards
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• bbrz
    replied
    Originally posted by TomEPKK View Post
    1.With all the respect - JetPhotos does not favour anyone because of name. Everyone starts from the same level - you need to prove yourself and build your JP portfolio from scratch. We don't know everyone in person, screeners don't check new contributors achievements (if any) in other sites or galleries.
    2.So - if you would like to build your portfolio on JetPhotos
    1. That's exactly my point. Why on earth do they screen photos if they don't even plan to accept high quality photos at all from anyone? It's the job of the screeners to check and verify the quality!
    And how do you want to 'prove' something if you aren't even allowed to upload high quality photos in the first place?

That's like if there would be no direct entry captains in the aviation business and everyone would have to start as a copilot. Again, this doesn't make sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• TomEPKK
    replied
    With all the respect - JetPhotos does not favour anyone because of name. Everyone starts from the same level - you need to prove yourself and build your JP portfolio from scratch. We don't know everyone in person, screeners don't check new contributors achievements (if any) in other sites or galleries.
    So - if you would like to build your portfolio on JetPhotos - you are more than weclome You just need to follow the guidelines as we all do.
    However - with attitude like this:
    how many photos I have to waste by uploading them in low quality first?
    it might be bit difficult.

Anyway - hope you'll find your place here.
    All the best,
    Tomasz

Leave a comment:

• bbrz
    replied
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Because most beginning photographers haven't acquired the skills to successfully submit images on a regular basis that will be accepted at 1920. 1280 is a much lower bar, as yes, it shows a lot less detail, but also hides a lot of the flaws that will be very apparent at 1920. You can apply to have your upload size limit increased once you have a certain number of images accepted, and maintain an acceptance rate over 50%.
    Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    1.Because most beginning photographers haven't acquired the skills to successfully submit images on a regular basis that will be accepted at 1920.
    2.You can apply to have your upload size limit increased once you have a certain number of images accepted, and maintain an acceptance rate over 50%.
    1. So if photographers like Charles Brown and Norman Pealing would upload their photos you would restrict them, force them to upload small/low quality photos and consider them and everyone else beginners? This doesn't make sense to me.
    2. When do you expect me to 'apply' if I don't know what the 'certain' number is and how many photos I have to waste by uploading them in low quality first?

E.g. Many bizjets have very fine and multiple stripes in their livery and at 1200 pixels the aliasing of these stripes is simply not acceptable.

Looks like I have to keep my 1920 only at airliners.net etc. That's really unfortunate. Nevertheless, thank you for somehow answering my questions

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Can I re-upload the 1280 photos at a 'normal' 1920 size after received this upgrade? Do I get some kind of info once this limit is being cancelled?
    Because most beginning photographers haven't acquired the skills to successfully submit images on a regular basis that will be accepted at 1920. 1280 is a much lower bar, as yes, it shows a lot less detail, but also hides a lot of the flaws that will be very apparent at 1920. You can apply to have your upload size limit increased once you have a certain number of images accepted, and maintain an acceptance rate over 50%.

Leave a comment:

• bbrz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by Jadoes123 View Post
    How do I rectify this problem. My computer says the picture is 1920x1280
    ???

Yes, the image is 1920 pixels. The system will not allow you to upload images larger than 1280 pixels at the moment since you have not been approved. You will need to have a number of images accepted on to the DB with a good acceptance ratio before you will be considered for a larger size allowance. If you can get ~100 images accepted with an acceptance ratio of higher than 50%, you would likely be approved.

Leave a comment:

• Jadoes123
    replied
    How do I rectify this problem. My computer says the picture is 1920x1280

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by Jadoes123 View Post
    Why can't I upload this photo even though it's within the upload requirements.
    Keeps saying "[FONT="]Uploaded photo over maximum approved image width of 1280 pixels". [/FONT]
    The problem is just as the message states: You have not been approved to upload images larger than 1280 pixels, yet this image is 1920 pixels.

There are compositional and quality issues with the image, so you might want to address those before attempting an upload at 1280 in any case.

Leave a comment:

• Jadoes123
    started a topic Problem with upload

Problem with upload

Why can't I upload this photo even though it's within the upload requirements.
    Keeps saying "Uploaded photo over maximum approved image width of 1280 pixels".
    Attached Files
Working...
X