• dlowwa
    replied
    Originally posted by Felipe Garcia View Post
    Looking for some extra help.

First reject due to contrast

Re-uploaded with a tad more contrast, rejected again

Rejected for soft

Second attempt: Still soft, and add a noise rejection
    JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I need some help because I don't understand what I'm doing wrong at this point. My acceptance ratio is down to about 10% and it's all due to soft, contrast and noise (at ISO400ish). I already checked my monitor calibration, and my workflow and equipment is the same as before.
    1. I see very little difference between the two, so not much surprise the second was again rejected. It looks like there may have been a thin cloud layer in front of the sun, which would account for the lack of contrast.

2. While not terrible, the nose area is noticeably softer than the rest of the aircraft. This is not uncommon at all, as we often see images that get softer towards the edges, either due to lens softness, motion blur, or what have you. It is also not surprising that the sharpened re-edit showed more noise, as that is a typical byproduct of increased sharpening. Is the front of the aircraft sharp at full resolution on the original? If yes, then you obviously just need a better edit. If not, you'll probably want to try and figure what's causing that softness.

Both images were taken in light that, while not terrible, I certainly wouldn't call ideal, and that is likely contributing to the issues you're having.

Leave a comment:

• Felipe Garcia
    replied
    Looking for some extra help.

First reject due to contrast

Re-uploaded with a tad more contrast, rejected again

Rejected for soft

Second attempt: Still soft, and add a noise rejection
    JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I need some help because I don't understand what I'm doing wrong at this point. My acceptance ratio is down to about 10% and it's all due to soft, contrast and noise (at ISO400ish). I already checked my monitor calibration, and my workflow and equipment is the same as before.

Leave a comment:

• Felipe Garcia
    replied
    Well, thanks for the help Dana. I had a chance to look at the RAW files today, and both that shot and the immediate after/before have that transition, so that's a no go. No idea what it is, so I'm just going to find a different angle shot that doesn't have the effect.

Leave a comment:

• Felipe Garcia
    replied
    I'll take a look at the RAW file see if there's anything, as well as the immediate before/after shots. I'm quite baffled, actually.

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Thanks for the comments

Is this what you're talking about? I can't say for sure if I shot through a fence or not, I was on and off shooting through/over. If that's the band, it's positioned in a weird place to be caused by the chainlink fence, because I was shooting with a slight crop sensor, and the photo itself is a crop of the center. Maybe something caused by the brush fire smoke that was going on behind the airport? I have no clue, actually didn't notice it at all when editing the photo, had to equalize it and look hard for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14755[/ATTACH]
    The line is too hard and angular to be anything natural like smoke (as I can see lower to the left). It's almost certainly either a fence/obstruction, or a bad edit (selecting only part of the sky). If it's there on RAW file, the obviously it's the former.

Leave a comment:

• Felipe Garcia
    replied
    Thanks for the comments

Is this what you're talking about? I can't say for sure if I shot through a fence or not, I was on and off shooting through/over. If that's the band, it's positioned in a weird place to be caused by the chainlink fence, because I was shooting with a slight crop sensor, and the photo itself is a crop of the center. Maybe something caused by the brush fire smoke that was going on behind the airport? I have no clue, actually didn't notice it at all when editing the photo, had to equalize it and look hard for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	91864_1521934745.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1023158

Leave a comment:

• dlowwa
    replied
    Can I get some pointers on this one? I really don't understand how any of those reasons apply to the photo. Mid afternoon light, not late enough to be a sunset photo, but not early enough to have harsh light. Histogram looks fine, saturation wasn't touched.

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewreject_b.php?id=6463421
    Looks a little red, but the exposure is ok. Contrast is a little weak also, but not that bad for me so slight adjustments there would be all that is needed..

..but was this shot through a fence? I see a weird transition in the sky from light to dark on a diagonal line.

Leave a comment:

• Felipe Garcia
    started a topic Felipe Garcia - Editing Help

Felipe Garcia - Editing Help

Can I get some pointers on this one? I really don't understand how any of those reasons apply to the photo. Mid afternoon light, not late enough to be a sunset photo, but not early enough to have harsh light. Histogram looks fine, saturation wasn't touched.

Working...
X