crkscrew13 - Editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
    Contrast & sharpening ok; some heat haze it looks like, and not sure what you've done to the sky, but looks like bad editing.
    That's good to hear on the contrast.

For the sky, how do you mean? Other than color adjustments I did very little with it.

Comment

While we're at it on contrast, a look back through a lot of my older pictures made me realize I've sucked for a long time at proper contrast, a problem I'm trying to remedy with some new techniques.

With that in mind, thoughts on these two? I'm trying to get a better feel for that but I'm not sure if I went overboard and/or made the images too dark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	n750ma.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	476.7 KB
ID:	1028398Click image for larger version

Name:	n368jb-jp.jpg
Size:	521.2 KB
ID:	1028399

Comment

Originally posted by crkscrew13 View Post
        That's good to hear on the contrast.

For the sky, how do you mean? Other than color adjustments I did very little with it.
        There is an unnatural dark halo along the treeline continuing into the right corner.

Name:	N786FD_24995-341_FDX_757-222_KPIT_18MAY12_JP_2.jpg
Size:	934.7 KB
ID:	1028400

While we're at it on contrast, a look back through a lot of my older pictures made me realize I've sucked for a long time at proper contrast, a problem I'm trying to remedy with some new techniques.

With that in mind, thoughts on these two? I'm trying to get a better feel for that but I'm not sure if I went overboard and/or made the images too dark.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16270[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]16271[/ATTACH]
        1. contrast ok, but green cast and light editing halos
        2. contrast too low, and blue cast

Comment

Been a while... thoughts on this one?

Name:	85-0003jp.jpg
Size:	466.6 KB
ID:	1028690

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16619[/ATTACH]
            Hello,

I'm not screener but seems acceptable for me.

Wait advice screener

Regards

Olivier

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16619[/ATTACH]
              Light editing halos visible, and contrast is too low.

Comment

I love this particular shot but I've been having a hard time editing it right and/or judging my own work.

Thoughts?

Name:	vh-znd.jpg
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1029494

Comment

I love this particular shot but I've been having a hard time editing it right and/or judging my own work.

Thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17602[/ATTACH]
                  Very borderline for contrast & color.

Comment

Back uploading again after a long while. Two shots I'm curious about.

Thoughts on this one? I've been having trouble with some of my LAX shots from months ago, owing to that harsh high sun and my inability to balance around it.

I've been trying out a few things but kinda feel like maybe I blew out the highlights too much here.

Name:	xa-efr1.jpg
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	1031313

Second one got rejected a few days ago for compression. I never used to have a problem with that (unless it was just ancillary to other rejection reasons so I didn't see it), but since simplifying my workflow and paring down my process I've started hitting it.

I'm thinking maybe my sharpening process is causing them as I start from RAW files and save at the highest possible quality settings.

Mainly, I guess, I'm looking for where the compression might be, because I'm just not seeing it even close up.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Thoughts on this one? I've been having trouble with some of my LAX shots from months ago, owing to that harsh high sun and my inability to balance around it.

I've been trying out a few things but kinda feel like maybe I blew out the highlights too much here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19787[/ATTACH]
                      Yes, a bit overexposed. Also some faint dust spots visible.

Second one got rejected a few days ago for compression. I never used to have a problem with that (unless it was just ancillary to other rejection reasons so I didn't see it), but since simplifying my workflow and paring down my process I've started hitting it.

I'm thinking maybe my sharpening process is causing them as I start from RAW files and save at the highest possible quality settings.

Mainly, I guess, I'm looking for where the compression might be, because I'm just not seeing it even close up.

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6896144
                      Sky is very blotchy/compressed. If you are saving at max quality, then likely due to sharpening/noise reduction, or some other processing.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Dust spots are the bane of my existence from that period and prior, but a sensor cleaning has made life a lot easier.

For the compression, I think I got it figured out. I've been unnecessarily sharpening the sky without realizing it. Got that covered now.

Would this shot be rejected for motive? It's off center but I feel like the aircraft on the ground taxiing out justifies that.

Name:	f-gznj.jpg
Size:	501.4 KB
ID:	1031329

Comment

Would this shot be rejected for motive? It's off center but I feel like the aircraft on the ground taxiing out justifies that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19819[/ATTACH]
                          Don't think it should be an issue.

Comment

Had this rejection for backlit, which of course it is, but I believe I had it marked as Night Shot since it was taken probably 30 minuets after sunrise.

Is the problem just that it's not noticeable enough lighting-wise to suggest that it's sunrise? I'm struggling a little to understand the guidelines for that type of shot.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Had this rejection for backlit, which of course it is, but I believe I had it marked as Night Shot since it was taken probably 30 minuets after sunrise.

Is the problem just that it's not noticeable enough lighting-wise to suggest that it's sunrise? I'm struggling a little to understand the guidelines for that type of shot.

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6916585
                              Hi

If you are asking if a backlit shot can be accepted as a 'Night Shot' - Yes. However, it must meet the upload guidelines criteria (2.2 Categories) "Dusk or dawn shots where the aircraft is a silhouette in front of a rising or setting sun would be a time where backlit photos are acceptable and Night Shot would apply." Your rejected image doesn't meet that criteria.

Hope that Helps, Regards T.

Comment

Working...
                              X