Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AirNewZealandLover - editing advice

Hello!
    I just submitted my first photo in JetPhotos and it got rejected for the following reasons:
    Undersharpened, too much or too little contrast, and JPG compression artefacts.
    I would like some help figuring out what to do about this. This is my first time trying to post something on this website and I'm still learning how to edit properly.
    Here is a link to the picture: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6601726

Originally posted by AirNewZealandLover View Post
    Hello!
    I just submitted my first photo in JetPhotos and it got rejected for the following reasons:
    I would like some help figuring out what to do about this. This is my first time trying to post something on this website and I'm still learning how to edit properly.
    Here is a link to the picture: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6601726
    Hi Evan,

First, welcome to JP.net!

The first way to start is to read the guidelines: https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ES-New-version.

For sure the photos has the problems listed.

1. You need to sharpen more (what software you use?)
    2. You can adjust the levels and contrast to get a better result
    3. About the JPG compresison many situations can cause this. Can you please list your workflow to edit this photo?

I'm not from the JP crew, but if I know how to help you, I will do. You went to the right place

Cheers,

Vinicius

Comment

Good points by Vinicius,

Main issues here are poor light, darkness but also a very compressed sky, you can even see the pixels with the naked eye

Histogram shows some strange editing, looks like automatic mode or filters has been applied.

Regards
      Alex

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
        Hi Evan,

First, welcome to JP.net!

The first way to start is to read the guidelines: https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ES-New-version.

For sure the photos has the problems listed.

1. You need to sharpen more (what software you use?)
        2. You can adjust the levels and contrast to get a better result
        3. About the JPG compresison many situations can cause this. Can you please list your workflow to edit this photo?

I'm not from the JP crew, but if I know how to help you, I will do. You went to the right place

Cheers,

Vinicius
        Hi Vinicius

I have been using Adobe LR and thats pretty much it. I haven't learned how to use photoshop, but if that would help out than I'd be more than willing to try.

As for my workflow, I haven't established one yet. I usually just edit my photo than export it straight out onto my computer. I don't know the different settings you're supposed to export out with.

Comment

On what I see (not sure if I am right) you didn't save your picture in the highest quality, just when I base myself on the equalized version.
          When you export the picture out off LR to your computer, don't forget to set the quality to 100 (I made the same mistake in the beginning; my quality was on 60 which damaged the picture).
          Just have a look on your export tab, it's near the tab where you need to select your resolution.

That doesn't take away the poor light conditions etc. and don't help either to fix the light but it's possible it will have a positive effect on the compression.

I hope this can help you in the future, even when it's not related on this specific picture.
          Kind regards

Hi Vinicius

I have been using Adobe LR and thats pretty much it. I haven't learned how to use photoshop, but if that would help out than I'd be more than willing to try.

As for my workflow, I haven't established one yet. I usually just edit my photo than export it straight out onto my computer. I don't know the different settings you're supposed to export out with.

Comment

Hello!
            https://youtu.be/f5yPiZ27Hgk this video can help you with your workflow!

Comment

Hi Vinicius

Hi,

Adobe LR is a excellent tool for editing, also complement with PS is a good ideia too. As you haven't established a workflow I suggest you a quick research about this topics:

1. level the photo (vertical and horizon)
              2. crop and centering the aircraft
              3. adjust the levels
              4. adjust contrast and colours (if necessary)
              5. remove the noise (if necessary)
              6. resize the image
              7. sharpen
              8. save in the maximum quality.

Also you need to have a good original photo. You shot in RAW or JPG? Also...I have some editing videos that I made, just for personal use. If you want I can sent you a simple workflow that maybe will work in your photo.

Cheers,

Vinicius

Comment

Hi Evan,

I imagine your photo was compressed either from not saving at the highest quality or you exported the image through WiFi on an app to your mobile device/computer (I had this issue when I started). Lighting also isn't the best which doesn't help you out much.

Make sure you are shooting in RAW (I prefer it over JPEG), save at the highest quality, and pick the sharpest photos you took.

My workflow if you'd like to try it:
                LR
                1. Level/Crop
                2. Adjust exposure, contrast, saturation, shadows, whites/blacks, etc.
                3. Add +2 clarity
                4. Export to PS

PS
                1. Resize (I set mine at 1200x800px)
                2. Duplicate layer > Equalize to check for dust, then delete layer and go over the dust spot with the Spot Healing Brush
                3. Duplicate layer > Magic wand or Lasso tool around the aircraft, inverse selection
                4. Select > Modify > Expand > Expand by "5"
                5. Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen (I set sharpening between 25% and 35% and noise reduction at 15% or 20%)
                6. Erase jaggies with eraser tool, use sharpening tool to specific areas of the aircraft (nacelles, door outline, landing gear)
                7. Inverse selection > Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen (set sharpening at 5% and noise reduction between 45% and 85% depending on how much noise exists)
                8. Flatten layer, Edit > Convert to profile > set to sRGB (IEC61966 - 2.1)
                9. Save as JPEG

Hope this helps you out!
                My profile: https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/110302

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/154462236@N03/
                Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/doughertyevan_/

Comment

Hi,

Adobe LR is a excellent tool for editing, also complement with PS is a good ideia too. As you haven't established a workflow I suggest you a quick research about this topics:

1. level the photo (vertical and horizon)
                  2. crop and centering the aircraft
                  3. adjust the levels
                  4. adjust contrast and colours (if necessary)
                  5. remove the noise (if necessary)
                  6. resize the image
                  7. sharpen
                  8. save in the maximum quality.

Also you need to have a good original photo. You shot in RAW or JPG? Also...I have some editing videos that I made, just for personal use. If you want I can sent you a simple workflow that maybe will work in your photo.

Cheers,

Vinicius
                  I shoot in RAW

Comment

I shoot in RAW
                    Nice. See the PM with the link I sent to you.

Vinicius

Comment

Originally posted by Runway28L View Post
                      Hi Evan,

I imagine your photo was compressed either from not saving at the highest quality or you exported the image through WiFi on an app to your mobile device/computer (I had this issue when I started). Lighting also isn't the best which doesn't help you out much.

Make sure you are shooting in RAW (I prefer it over JPEG), save at the highest quality, and pick the sharpest photos you took.

My workflow if you'd like to try it:
                      LR
                      1. Level/Crop
                      2. Adjust exposure, contrast, saturation, shadows, whites/blacks, etc.
                      3. Add +2 clarity
                      4. Export to PS

PS
                      1. Resize (I set mine at 1200x800px)
                      2. Duplicate layer > Equalize to check for dust, then delete layer and go over the dust spot with the Spot Healing Brush
                      3. Duplicate layer > Magic wand or Lasso tool around the aircraft, inverse selection
                      4. Select > Modify > Expand > Expand by "5"
                      5. Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen (I set sharpening between 25% and 35% and noise reduction at 15% or 20%)
                      6. Erase jaggies with eraser tool, use sharpening tool to specific areas of the aircraft (nacelles, door outline, landing gear)
                      7. Inverse selection > Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen (set sharpening at 5% and noise reduction between 45% and 85% depending on how much noise exists)
                      8. Flatten layer, Edit > Convert to profile > set to sRGB (IEC61966 - 2.1)
                      9. Save as JPEG

Hope this helps you out!
                      I just tried your workflow. It will take some getting used to but I think I can make it work

Here is a photo I edited using that workflow:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC1052.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	765.9 KB
ID:	1028594

Comment

I just tried your workflow. It will take some getting used to but I think I can make it work

Here is a photo I edited using that workflow:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]16503[/ATTACH]
                        Hi!

The photo is not in the upload limit size...So its difficult to comment about it.

Cheers,

Vinicius

Comment

Whoops, let me fix that

Views:	2
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	1028595

Comment

Hi!

The photo is not in the upload limit size...So its difficult to comment about it.

Cheers,

Vinicius
                            Whoops, let me fix that

Views:	2
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	1028596

Comment

Whoops, let me fix that

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16505[/ATTACH]
                              Hi,

IMHO the photo is low in frame, soft, dark and also appear to be heat hazed.

Better wait comments from the JP Crew.

Cheers,

Vinicius

Comment

Working...
                              X